Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New focus?

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: New focus?

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:49 pm

thesilverspyder wrote:<script type="text/javascript" src="./styles/aprilfool/template/styleswitcher.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="./styles/aprilfool/template/forum_fn.js"></script>
Haha, nicely done Ace! That was a stroke of pure evil... and I'm glad someone spotted it and pointed it out. :lol:

OK everyone, you wanna know the real April fools joke? We're serious. Ever have something start as a joke but once it's going is some great it hast to become real? (8-bit tie anyone?) That's kind of the deal here. We couldn't come up with any pranks we thought you'd buy, so we went with something legitimate that we knew no one would buy. And now that we've got the place redesigned for such a fun theme, why not run with it for a while? At least until an even cooler one comes up. You can still talk about Star Wars to your hearts content, and I suppose we can give you back the other subforum now (Thanks Ry), but you seriously need to relax. Whining and threatening to leave isn't going to accomplish anything, it just makes you look bad and no one wants that.

Now go build something! ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Andi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Avoid the inside jokes. .

This is no inside joke. It's only interesting to see who comes to fbtb regulary because of the great community and who comes just because it's s a site dedicated to Star Wars.
Nothing changed, people can still talk about Star Wars. There's just another design right now and the forums are positioned a bit different.
But the community is still there, and this is what makes this forums so great, doesn't matter if the main focus is Power Miners, Star Wars or whatever.

Edit: darn, Don's post wasn't there when I started writing this...
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Galagoo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:09 pm

Still feels like something essential was ripped out, though. :p

It got me wondering, however. Considering the zombie apocalypse on the old forums, and now this.. Have I just missed something major during all the years I've been here, or has FBTB become slightly.. rougher (in lack of a better word) lately?
Galagoo

Postby Septemris » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:23 pm

So it sounds like FBTB is gonna start changing template/theme focus once in a while now?
Here are a few suggestions for the next changes.

Focusing on Castle : From Barricade to Broadswords
Focusing on Pirates : Flamin' Beauty To Bastonade
Focusing on Paradisa : For Better Topless Bikinis

And the new logo is really nice!
© Bernard
Septemris

Postby Draykov » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:So, if this is indeed a joke, it was fun for a day, but I think he needs to stop now in accordance to the text quoted above.My two Canadian cents.

Daz makes a valid point...especially considering how quickly on the heels of the undead this thing is. The bottom line though, I think, is that it's nothing to get bent out of shape over. Things will be set to right eventually...or not.

Olog wrote:...Lime leader...

:lol:

Septemris wrote:So it sounds like FBTB is gonna start changing template/theme focus once in a while now?
Here are a few suggestions for the next changes.

Focusing on Castle : From Barricade to Broadswords
Focusing on Pirates : Flamin' Beauty To Bastonade
Focusing on Paradisa : For Better Topless Bikinis

I'm down. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life. My interests have always been pretty eclectic in terms of LEGO themes, licensed or otherwise.

Agents: FROM BADDIES TO BIG-RIGS
City: FROM BOATS TO BUILDINGS
Creator: FROM BRICKS TO BRICKS
Space: FROM BASES TO BOTS
Technic: FROM BEAMS TO BUSHINGS
Train: FROM BOGIES TO BOXCARS
Last edited by Draykov on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby bigospedros » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:After reading a few comments from younger members - many of whom now asking if this a joke or not - and the answers they got from SOME older members and staff members, I would like to point out this little tiny bit of text that was written by dWhisper not too long ago and which can be found right here in the forums:

Avoid the inside jokes. Okay, this one the staff is going to take on as well, because we’re guilty of this more than most, at times. We’ve see this a lot in the last couple of years, with stuff ranging from the portal gag, to the (seriously non-existent) secret mods, to the member bashing on private forums. Fact is, if you want to start a bandwagon, it needs to be available to everyone on some level. Even if it’s the “I Hate dWhisper Fanclub” (anyone remember who started that one off? ;) ), these make some members feel left out and expose little cliques and circles on the boards. It’s fine to have friends, in fact, it’s expected, but when you start excluding others and making fun of them for not being part of the gang, we have a problem. And we’ve lost members for it. Want an example of how these should work? Look at the zombie game, it was open to everyone, and everyone was free to make it their own. Even if some misguided fools tried to zombify the king of monsters…

So, if this is indeed a joke, it was fun for a day, but I think he needs to stop now in accordance to the text quoted above.

My two Canadian cents.

I 100% agree with this post ... the sheer fact that the staff are too beligerent to just admit it was a joke and change it back quickly just goes to show how much of a clique this place really is at times.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:38 pm

Even if it’s the “I Hate dWhisper Fanclub” (anyone remember who started that one off? ;) )

Now there was a group with potential, we should dedicate the site to that.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby thesilverspyder » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Solo wrote:
thesilverspyder wrote:<script type="text/javascript" src="./styles/aprilfool/template/styleswitcher.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="./styles/aprilfool/template/forum_fn.js"></script>
Haha, nicely done Ace! That was a stroke of pure evil... and I'm glad someone spotted it and pointed it out. :lol:

OK everyone, you wanna know the real April fools joke? We're serious. Ever have something start as a joke but once it's going is some great it hast to become real? (8-bit tie anyone?) That's kind of the deal here. We couldn't come up with any pranks we thought you'd buy, so we went with something legitimate that we knew no one would buy. And now that we've got the place redesigned for such a fun theme, why not run with it for a while? At least until an even cooler one comes up. You can still talk about Star Wars to your hearts content, and I suppose we can give you back the other subforum now (Thanks Ry), but you seriously need to relax. Whining and threatening to leave isn't going to accomplish anything, it just makes you look bad and no one wants that.

Now go build something! ;)

Funny that everyone "admits" to the change after I point out the obvious prank in the code. I'm not buying it Don.

*EDIT* I can't even change my ****** avatar! For the love of GOD! >8(
Last edited by thesilverspyder on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See my entire collection built piece by piece!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dollarsignfrodofan77
thesilverspyder

Postby Draykov » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm

thesilverspyder wrote:Funny that everyone "admits" to the change after I point out the obvious prank in the code. I'm not buying it Don.

Yep...you nailed it. It takes a real mastermind to guess that there'd be a joke on April 1. You...you've earned it:

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:46 pm

bigospedros wrote:I 100% agree with this post ... the sheer fact that the staff are too beligerent to just admit it was a joke and change it back quickly just goes to show how much of a clique this place really is at times.

I'm in such a good mood right now that your continued belligerence isn't bothering me half as much as it used to. :O

/me waits for the inevitable "More proof that the staff can't take criticism" post
Chief

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:48 pm

Awesome. I've explained very clearly and honestly what's going on, but just because you're assumptions about it weren't right the staff is belligerent and lying. I love this place.

And my explanation had nothing to do with that code that was spotted. Get over yourselves. :lol:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby bigospedros » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:01 pm

So, as I've complained twice about some in-jokes that suddenly makes me the bad guy does it?! :lol:

Just forgetting the 99% rest of the time when my contribution and the general running of this place is spot on, are we ? Ah well ... I knew I get flamed for daring to go against the grain. I shan't do it again ... I've learnt now that it's pointless.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Big C » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 pm

/me plays world's smallest violin.
Big C

Postby meeotch » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:10 pm

I call shenanigans on that poll pic posted on the front page. Seems like it was stacked, being as it's linked to the secret forum.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:12 pm

From Belligerent to Barmy?

Much of an overreaction around the site the last two days? I'm just hoping that some of the comments were sarcasm that I missed! :S

Joke or no joke, half a joke, whatever. Go with the flow.

I'm off to the G20 summit to find out which authority enforces the law that dictates April Fools can only last one day.
Jabba the Taff

Postby BaronSat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Big C wrote:/me plays world's smallest violin.

With boxing gloves?

?????????????? I really don't get it???????????????
BaronSat

Postby NerdFighter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Man, I love this site.

Sure, I don't like Power Miners as much as Star Wars. But that's not a big deal. We can still discuss Star Wars. But I've got to admit, I like the new banner and color scheme. Maybe this will get old in a few weeks. But I have trust that the admins will be able to keep things fresh.
NerdFighter

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:39 pm

meeotch wrote:I call shenanigans on that poll pic posted on the front page. Seems like it was stacked, being as it's linked to the secret forum.

That link was my mistake. The poll is global, and I was reading it from the staff forum. I've corrected the error, thank you!

Also, the only manipulation on that photo was cropping part of it out to fit the news panel. I was waiting for the poll to hit 10 people to make that very screengrab.
Chief

Postby Master Fetty » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm

W...Wait...You're serious.

The old FBTB would never had done this - they'd have been a discussion, or at least a mention it before the date. And releasing it on April Fool's Day? Plain stupid. From Brick To Bothans was made for Star Wars. Everyone here came because of LEGO Star Wars. The community came out of people who like Star Wars. There is a reason Power Miners doesn't have its own fan site (see the main announcement) - because its rubbish. Because AFOLs aren't interested in it. People have grown up with Star Wars and love it. Power Miners is yet another of LEGOs own-brand products that won't sell on the Star Wars scale. Search Google for LEGO Star Wars and filter through the amazon and game pages. FBTB is so close to the top, so integral to the Star Wars community that this is pure stupidity to do. Membership failed because the change of site failed. Of course there were to be less members when you move. Don't you see that changing focus is not going to bring you more members?
Master Fetty

Postby Unsier » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Wow Master Fetty that was very mean and I am deeply hurt. I am reporting you to the moderating staff.
Unsier

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes