Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Pirates Return!!!

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Pirates Return!!!

Postby BobaFett » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:15 pm

The only reason I am exited about 2009 is the new Pirates line (and the Indiana Jones too). I sorely missed pirates back about 10 years ago and I was so exited when I saw those tan boxes on the shelf. What are your feelings about the return of one of the only decent Lego line?
BobaFett

Re: Pirates Return!!!

Postby Draykov » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:00 pm

BobaFett wrote:What are your feelings about the return of one of the only decent Lego line?

That your perspective is off?
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 pm

You know, I typically avoid being a grammar Nazi, but that post levels all sorts of hurt on my brain.

Anyway... yeah, while I'm excited about Pirates (and have already bought the sets... they've been out for several months now), it is certainly not the only decent line, it's not even the only decent original line. While neither Agents nor Power Miners floats my boat, they're both very interesting lines that have given several unique parts (and SHARKS)! Castle has had some glimmers of hope as of late, especially in the LEGO exclusive village, so full of happy that it could rot your teeth.

Beyond that, while the Clone Wars cartoon is buckets of lame, and the dead horse that is the faces has been whipped like Don on Tuesday, the sets themselves have been very good. The Clone Walker BP is a good addition, the Republic Attack Shuttle is a fun and inventive build, Vader's TIE is a good upgrade... and seriously, have you seen the bottled hawt that is the Summer sets? Hoth and Endor sets? Venator Class Awesomeness?

That being said, the Pirates line, while potentially so cool, is rather lackluster at this point. Brickbeard's Bounty is very nice, but it's expensive and has a bad price-per-brick ratio. The rest of the sets have cool minifigs and cannons, but they're rather boring overall. The hideout is meh... the best part is the lady pirate figure. Loot Island, Kraken Attack, and Cannon Battle all have some good points, but they're not overly "piratey" in feel.

The biggest problem with the line right now is that it's basically half finished. Only the pirates have ships, and only one at that. The good guys have a few canoes, but you can't do a whole lot with this line yet, and that's what hurts it. It needs a couple of smaller ships, and the good guys need a big ship. There are some obvious characters going here, but not enough to get kids (and me) drawn in yet. So no, it's not the only decent set. Of the active stuff, I'd put it 4th or 5th on the list, honestly, behind the ones I mentioned earlier.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Duckman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 am

dWhisper wrote:The biggest problem with the line right now is that it's basically half finished. Only the pirates have ships, and only one at that.

True, but it wouldn't stop someone buying 2 bountys, and modding it for the soldiers' ship: Lose the flag, lose the pirates, throw in a heap of soldiers and some mates, and .... here comes the crap part, cut out some white sails for the soldier's sails. Other than that, its as easy as 1 2 3. :x
Duckman

Postby Linkavitch » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 am

Yes. Yes I am. Sadly, the sets are mostly too expensive for a teen without a job or other descernable mode of income to buy without ticking off his parents.
Why on earth was the Empire able to build a moon-sized battle station capable of destroying an entire planet when, at the same time, they're most common data storage unit was still a tape!?
Linkavitch

Postby donneyboy » Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Linkavitch wrote:Yes. Yes I am. Sadly, the sets are mostly too expensive for a teen without a job or other descernable mode of income to buy without ticking off his parents.

I know what you mean, and my dad will only buy me $50.00- $60.00 sets, not $100.00, since he thinks they are a waste of money, but I want Brickbeards Bounty.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby Darth Caedus » Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 pm

I really am feeling "meh" about the pirate sets - they just don't have the classic 90
s feel IMo., However, I think I have been spoiled by the awesomeness that is the POTC films, and am experiencing bitter regret that Lego did not pick up that license.
Darth Caedus

Postby CommanoSev » Wed May 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Yeah the sets seem somewhat unfinished. I have a Loot Island and it is pretty lame IMHO. Isn't the whole point of Pirates to have naval battles? How can you have those when the only ship available is BB. Just my two cents.
CommanoSev

Return to Original Themes