Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Series 3 code list cracked - FBTB gets to break the story!

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Series 3 code list cracked - FBTB gets to break the stor

Postby that guy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 pm

ok, so I just sorted three more boxes and found something that I thought I was crazy for thinking earlier. When I first reported the distribution, I fudged my numbers on the fisherman because I somehow miss that there were 4 tennis players so I assumed that there were 3 fisherman even thought I couldn't account for them in my piles (I figured I missed them somehow). Well now after counting 3 more cases I am indeed finding that at least in the many boxes I've opened thus far there are only 2, yes 2 fisherman per box. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has counted a case to see if this is the norm for them too. If it is that's very interesting that Lego would only include two complete sets in a box instead of 3 as seen in previous series. Maybe it's me, maybe it's intentional, or perhaps their new 'dot coding system' is messing things up for the distribution inside a box????
that guy

Postby GrayMattR » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:28 am

I took Rick's code sheet and changed the order of the codes so they flow visually to make the comparison quicker and easier. You can have the cheat sheet in one hand and a minifig package in the other and quickly move the minifig package down the cheat sheet to compare the dots.

The left column has dot codes that start with two dots as you look at it from left to right. The two dots slope down as you move right from the sumo wrestler to the fisherman and then slop up for the last three codes. The right column has codes that start with one dot as you look at it from left to right. Each code moves the dot to the right. (I hope that makes sense.)

The idea of sorting the code struck me while comparing Series 2 UPC codes with the printed cheat sheet. The barcodes weren't similar so you had to compare a package with every barcode on the cheat sheet. This resorted dot chart should make it easy to start. I'm not a professional image editor, I just dragged and dropped the codes around the sheet. The position of the dots didn't change. I did change the file type to PNG hoping the picture would get less pixelized when I saved it. I also changed the name of "Street Punk" to "Rapper" because of his sweet boom box and his resemblance to the Beastie Boys while a real street punk would look like Sid Vicious. :D
GrayMattR

Postby Jargon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm

that guy, that would fit with what I've been hearing on the SEALUG mailing list.
Jargon

Postby SonOfSolo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks "that guy". Where are you located? I didn't think these were supposed to hit until January??
SonOfSolo

Postby that guy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:22 pm

I have a connection in the Northwest. As for series 3, I just got the pricing from EE for them and they raised their wholesale price $.70 each this time. What a crock of cr@p. Now even the distributors are charging MORE than suggested retail. They were asking $4 a pack for S1 and S2 so who knows what they'll be charging this time. I have no doubt they'll regret that decision as everyone from Walmart to Walgreens will probably have S3 this time. Their price hikes have really hurt their retail of S2 as it is so they could really be putting a nail in their CMF sales by messing so hard with both their wholesale and retail prices. Oh well, they were good to work with while it lasted....

Update: EE is reporting that their cost from Lego went up substantially to the point where they don't believe these will be $1.99 figures anymore (if other retailers and wholesalers are also seeing the same increases) and are waiting for Lego to set an MSRP before taking any action to reduce their price. They don't feel Fred Meyer is an accurate gauge either since A) they were ahead of the curve on getting them, and B) they're a Walmart minded company and view toys as lost leaders anyways. I also called a connection at Lego and even they couldn't guarantee that they would be selling them for $1.99, according to them, there is ZERO information in their system at this point other than the fact that 8803 exists as a stock item and they can only 'assume' that they will be $1.99 but weren't sure. Should this be true it would be rather short sided of them to jack the price so quickly when the whole concept still has the potential to implode so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they continue at the $1.99 price for at least a few more runs.
Last edited by that guy on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that guy

Postby Darth Sillyus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Brilliant work, that guy! I didn't want to buy a huge bunch of these to get the few figs i want.

As for those guys who bought all those S3 cases and took the photos... i'm sure they're nice guys and everything, but it sure looks like they have some obsessive-compulsive / hoarding issues. I only recognize it because it's a problem i've dealt with before. :(
Former FBTB Forums Co-Mayor
FBTB Forums Member since '02
Founder of The M.B.o.C.L.H.
Darth Sillyus

Postby that guy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Darth Sillyus wrote:Brilliant work, that guy! I didn't want to buy a huge bunch of these to get the few figs i want.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone else who appreciated the work that went into cracking their codes. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't cool to be, well 'that guy' that stuck it to the man and was the first to do it in the world XD . While I know it's not as easy or surefire as the barcode system, it is indeed real and works and I have no doubt as many have stated that this information will help revitalize those who may have shied away from them otherwise. I saw that Brickipedia has already updated it's 8803 listing to reflect the "that guy dots" as I like to call them... ;) Thanks again to everyone for their support.
that guy

Postby CJF28 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Darth Sillyus wrote:Brilliant work, that guy! I didn't want to buy a huge bunch of these to get the few figs i want.

As for those guys who bought all those S3 cases and took the photos... i'm sure they're nice guys and everything, but it sure looks like they have some obsessive-compulsive / hoarding issues. I only recognize it because it's a problem i've dealt with before. :(

Yea. Hoarding is pretty funny. at the most I buy two of things. but ive seen people clear LEGO shelves. And its funny and sad all at the same time

cory
CJF28

Postby silverspyder » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Fred Meyer raised their price on the minifigs as of today (Monday) to $2.99ea. I have never known FM to sell items for more than MSRP, so I am starting to believe that LEGO has indeed raised the cost/msrp of the minifgs. :(

Glad I was able to buy mine while they were still $1.99 :)
silverspyder

Postby vynsane » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 am

silverspyder wrote:Fred Meyer raised their price on the minifigs as of today (Monday) to $2.99ea. I have never known FM to sell items for more than MSRP, so I am starting to believe that LEGO has indeed raised the cost/msrp of the minifgs.

Until they're more than $1.99 at a LEGO Store or shop.LEGO, I won't be buying into that brand of paranoia. Most likely they saw that d-bags were buying dozens of boxes at a time and thought "Hrm... We may be selling ourselves short on these..." It's opportunism, plain and simple.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Reaction from the LEGO community team to that guy breaking the code of series 3:

Jim from TLG Community Team wrote:Ok, story time:

Design had put alot of effort into this and kept the dots a secret limited to only a handful of people internally. When I shared the posting regarding the cracking of the code, let's say there was true surprise registered. They did not expect the code to be broken let alone this fast.

From what i understand they spoke with other companies about how to secretly mark packages such as the collectible card companies and other collectible gaming items. This was the best solution presented and found to be useable by LEGO.

They were shocked at how detailed oriented the analysis of our product is by the fans. I'm not nor is the rest of the community team, but there are still those in the company that don't quite understand the depths the fans go to in order to understand the LEGO product.

Source: Patrick Bégin, LEGO ambassador representing QuéLUG, posted this on the QuéLUG.org forum.

So, basically, the LEGO design team underestimated (again) the engineuity and detemination of AFOLs, but especially the intelligence of that guy.
Daz Hoo

Postby that guy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:04 am

Daz Hoo wrote:
So, basically, the LEGO design team underestimated (again) the engineuity and detemination of AFOLs, but especially the intelligence of that guy.

Thank you once again for the kind words.

and to TLG...

Maybe at least a free trip to Denmark for figuring it out? I hear Billund is beautiful in the summer. XD Hey, I had to throw that out there right? :lol:

In all honesty, as an active member of MENSA, just them admitting what they did as referenced above is reward enough for me... :)

oh, and I can't wait to see what they do to S4...I wouldn't be offended if they sent me a couple to crack ahead of time..;)
that guy

Postby vynsane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 am

I think you should be invited by TLG to devise the secret code for CMFs4 ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby winbrant » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:37 am

When I heard that Series 3 was to have no secondary barcodes I was dismayed...seeing as I really wanted a complete set and dreaded having to by multiples.

But knowing LEGO has a process for packing procedure, and couldn't see a randomized approach, knew there had to be some marking system.

And a hearty Congratulations to that guy for cracking it and sharing it with the AFOL community. And even more so seeing as it's been acknowledged (with surprise) that this was indeed the system they had used. :D

Maybe now they will create Collector Sets for us AFOLS so that we don't have to pillage the stores for a complete set...maybe make them a LEGO Direct item. And for those that are army building they can hit the stores for extras. And, maybe, make a more even distribution in a box...3-4 of each figure or make a box of 64 instead.
winbrant

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:45 am

winbrant wrote:Maybe now they will create Collector Sets for us AFOLS so that we don't have to pillage the stores for a complete set...maybe make them a LEGO Direct item. And for those that are army building they can hit the stores for extras. And, maybe, make a more even distribution in a box...3-4 of each figure or make a box of 64 instead.

Why would they change anything to their methods? So far, all series have sold out pretty quickly, and now orders from retailers are pooring in for the next two series. The only change so far has been to remove the barcodes, and this was obviously an attempt to sell even more bags (because people would have to buy more to get the figs they want).

As long as those little brightly colored bags sell well, I don't think TLC will change anything, at least to the distribution of each cases, the blind packaging concept or how they sell them online.
Daz Hoo

Postby winbrant » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:06 am

Daz Hoo wrote:
Why would they change anything to their methods? So far, all series have sold out pretty quickly, and now orders from retailers are pouring in for the next two series. The only change so far has been to remove the barcodes, and this was obviously an attempt to sell even more bags (because people would have to buy more to get the figs they want).

As long as those little brightly colored bags sell well, I don't think TLC will change anything, at least to the distribution of each cases, the blind packaging concept or how they sell them online.

Call it wishful thinking XD. It's understood that this was the original intent and personally was never a fan of the blind-pack...in anything.
Just the thought of feeling bags for bumps or mini-fig features ... :S
winbrant

Postby CJF28 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:42 pm

I dont believe in blind buying either. all it is, is a way to get you to buy something you normally wouldnt. If you are so worried about no one buying the scuba diver in series 1, then dont make him. or short pack him and put in extra zombies.

Its a cop out. And I dont make enough money in the hopes I can blindly get the ones I want.

And I dont know about others, but I feel like a jeeper creeper standing in the toy isles feeling the bags to make sure Im getting the ones Im looking for.

Cory
CJF28

Postby meeotch » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Most of us lost any notion of shame years ago.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby AbstractedIdeal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:44 am

CJF28 wrote:And I dont know about others, but I feel like a jeeper creeper standing in the toy isles feeling the bags to make sure Im getting the ones Im looking for.

I'm with you there.

I was in TRU for CMFv1 comparing barcodes and got one of the dirtiest looks from a mom who was bringing her kids over, followed by a really snarky "What? Are you TWELVE?!". :x

Completely changed her tune when -- having found the figs I was looking for -- I handed her my barcode sheet and showed her how it could help her two kids be less disappointed. :D
AbstractedIdeal

Postby Draykov » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:24 am

AbstractedIdeal wrote:I was in TRU for CMFv1 comparing barcodes and got one of the dirtiest looks from a mom who was bringing her kids over, followed by a really snarky "What? Are you TWELVE?!". :x

Some people need to just mind their own business. Nice job being the bigger person though.
Hail Space!
Draykov

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes