Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] NinjaGo

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: [NEW STUFF] NinjaGo

Postby Coret » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:57 pm

jonutah wrote:As an AFOL, the sets are horrendous and a departure from what makes Lego great: cool models, figures, with some nifty new parts (think Midieval Market Place). As a parent, I wouldn't buy these for my kids simply because I think they're faddish and will not have as high a reuse value as Harry Potter or SW sets over time. I've seen my kids blow money on similar fad themes like Ben 10 and Exo-Force, only to see the sets quickly fall apart and be religated to the bottom of some box.

So, as someone else said, I hope NinjaGoesAway.

- Jon

I actually quite disagree. While as themes they might become a fad, most of what makes Lego "LEGO" is the fact nothing has to be used as only what it was designed for. There are quite a few "nifty" parts in the sets, and I think the Medieval Market Place had actually less nifty parts and more of a MOC feel to it using pieces in a different way. While Ben 10 falls into the more Bionacle/Hero Factory line, Exo Force had amazing parts involved with it. I feel the same way with the NinjaGo stuff, while I don't like the idea of them as a whole, they do have some nicer pieces.

As to the kid factor, if you looked at my kid's Lego table you would find every theme under the sun mixed together. They play with everything, and they play with them all together.
Coret

Postby MicroJow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:27 pm

I picked up the Dojo because I had some VIP Bucks coming to me. Haven't built it yet. This is probably the only NinjaGo set that appeals to me even slightly.

- J
MicroJow

Postby ka.lego » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:45 am

I have to admit, at first I wasn't too into the idea of these sets. They just didn't seem to have enough pieces and the skeleton figures looked odd to me. But then I was given the Skull Motorbike and Ice Dragon Attack, and have since changed my tune. These sets are pure fun and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the builds. They're simple, but I really found the little things fun. For example, I really love the use of the chain on the bike as well as the chain reins of the dragon. The dragon's wings were particularly fun. And while it's pretty limited, I love the look of the dragon head. Oh, and the skull figures definitely won me over. This might be some form of blasphemy on FBTB all things considered, but I'd much rather have an army of these guys rather than the over stylized droid army minifigs.

Anyway, the randomness and fun of this theme are exactly the kinds of things I was going for when we were suggesting themes. I think this and the upcoming Alien Conquest theme are right up my alley.

(I could do without the dojo, bowling playset type stuff. I'd prefer more random vehicles / creatures.)
ka.lego

Postby J30spiff » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am

I called Lego Customer Service to check on the staus of an order and the lady asked me if I had heard of the new NinjaGo line. I replied "yup, my son already has a couple of sets" and she told me that there will be a NinjaGo television special on Friday, January 14, on Cartoon Network. Looks Lego is going all out in promoting this new line.
J30spiff

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 am

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet but there's also a video game coming out for it shortly.
that guy

Postby Robzula » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm

There's also going to be a couple of shorts on Cartoon Network.
Last edited by Robzula on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby combattank » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 am

Is it normal for Lego sets to sell out at brick & mortar stores when they are initially released? I know that it is the case for the Star Wars Battle Packs (i.e. Clonetroopers, Snowtroopers, etc.), but I was somewhat surprised that Lego Ninjago sets did so well. I didn't notice it for many other newly released sets or new themes... but then again I wasn't really looking at the time. I like the Ninjas, but the Skeletons are still a bit strange to me. I think AFOLs were disappointed with this theme because we were expecting something more on the lines of the previous "Classic" ninja/samurai line (which I unfortunately missed; being in my dark ages).

As for the Cartoon Network show, it looks like the first two episodes are going to premiere at 3PM PST (6PM EST) on Jan 14. The previews remind me of the SD Gundam show.
combattank

Postby meeotch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't know about "normal," but considering that NinjaGo is heavily geared towards young boys with a penchant for Pokemon, Bakugan, Magic cards, etc, coupled with the fact that it's a brand new line and I bet a lot of people still have Christmas money burning a hole in their pocket, and there are some new pieces that should really appeal to the AFOL, and you have a perfect storm for them selling out.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby bobalego » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Interesting but I made a classic mistake of thinking that this was a semi Japanese theme, as implied by the name but was surprised when I asked a Japanese student to translate the writing. It is in fact Chinese and most of the words are what you may expect them to say: The writing on the Dojo white doors say "Ninja," the left black arch says:"Repetition!" and both the white flags say:"Don't Give Up!" The writing on Zane's Ice dragon Standard says:"Dragon God." The skeleton bowling flag is the same as on the Dojo:"Don't give up!" Battle Arena is same as Dojo flag that says "Ninja." The two I forgot to ask about is the center writing on the black brick arch above the round red circle, of the Dojo. And since we couldn't read the right arch writing, no idea as of this moment. This was told to me by both a student from Taiwan and one from mainland China. I am sure that it could be translated slightly different depending on who you ask so I might try a few of my other Chinese students...
bobalego

Postby combattank » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:11 am

bobalego wrote:Interesting but I made a classic mistake of thinking that this was a semi Japanese theme, as implied by the name but was surprised when I asked a Japanese student to translate the writing. It is in fact Chinese and most of the words are what you may expect them to say: The writing on the Dojo white doors say "Ninja," the left black arch says:"Repetition!" and both the white flags say:"Don't Give Up!" The writing on Zane's Ice dragon Standard says:"Dragon God." The skeleton bowling flag is the same as on the Dojo:"Don't give up!" Battle Arena is same as Dojo flag that says "Ninja." The two I forgot to ask about is the center writing on the black brick arch above the round red circle, of the Dojo. And since we couldn't read the right arch writing, no idea as of this moment. This was told to me by both a student from Taiwan and one from mainland China. I am sure that it could be translated slightly different depending on who you ask so I might try a few of my other Chinese students...

Continuing the Chinese translation...

The writing in the center (above the brown doors and the round red circle) can be translated as "Dojo" (given the context of the set). However, in Chinese they also use the same characters for the word "Temple" (depending on context). The writing on the right black arch means "Integrity". The words probably translate to the same thing in Japanese. Did you ask a Japanese student and he couldn't translate them? I know that the Japanese kanji contains several Chinese characters, but I am not sure if these are among them but they most likely are.
combattank

Postby bobalego » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Yes, the Japanese student could make out one of the characters but not the rest.
bobalego

Postby infallible » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am

I also saw these and thought that it would be bad, but people are going nuts for them. We're selling a good amount in our LEGO store, and kids are really excited about it. Goes to show that the more I feel I know about what's good the less I actually know.

And as far as this being a short-term line, don't count on it. LEGO is putting a lot into this one as far as expectations and investments, so don't expect it to be a one-shot line like World Racers. Expect at least two full waves of product, but maybe more.
infallible

Postby Jargon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 pm

To further support this, I got an email yesterday informing me that Ninjago and the art of spinjitzu will soon be appearing in LEGO Universe.
Jargon

Postby UOldPirate » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 pm

infallible wrote:I also saw these and thought that it would be bad, but people are going nuts for them. We're selling a good amount in our LEGO store, and kids are really excited about it. Goes to show that the more I feel I know about what's good the less I actually know.

And as far as this being a short-term line, don't count on it. LEGO is putting a lot into this one as far as expectations and investments, so don't expect it to be a one-shot line like World Racers. Expect at least two full waves of product, but maybe more.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but is that official word on World Racers? As an AFOL have about zero interest in the NinjaGo line, but I really liked World Racers. Once again I'm reminded that unfortunately I'm not always in Lego's target demographic. :(
UOldPirate

Postby Duckman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:02 am

Yeah, NinjaGo appears to be a NinjaNoGo for most people I've spoken too. Though, it may appeal to small children (god forbid they dare target that demographic), but its definitely not a set I or any of my acquaintances would purchase.
Duckman

Postby Robzula » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:23 pm

I don't see why there's all this hate for the entire line. The concept is stupid and the skeleton sets (the motorcycle, the monster truck, the cyber-castle...) are stupid, but the ninja sets (Ninja Ambush, Ice Dragon Attack, the dojo...) are still pretty decent.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby infallible » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:34 pm

UOldPirate wrote:Not to derail the thread or anything, but is that official word on World Racers? As an AFOL have about zero interest in the NinjaGo line, but I really liked World Racers. Once again I'm reminded that unfortunately I'm not always in Lego's target demographic. :(

Nothing I have is official, but what I can say is that all the World Racers sets were marked for clearance along with the other discontinued sets. On a continuing line, like Atlantis, only the older sets got marked for clearance, not the whole thing. Plus, we haven't heard anything about new WR sets. Now, this is purely anecdotal, but for my LEGO store, those WR sets did not move very well at all, but if that's line-wide, then that's why I imagine that it's done.

For me, I thought that the minifig faces in WR were cute, and there were some good minifig elements (like some of the torsos). It's a line that I thought I'd enjoy, but ended up falling flat. I picked up the motorcycles when they came out, but the rest I got on clearance because they just didn't click.

Robzula wrote:I don't see why there's all this hate for the entire line. The concept is stupid and the skeleton sets (the motorcycle, the monster truck, the cyber-castle...) are stupid, but the ninja sets (Ninja Ambush, Ice Dragon Attack, the dojo...) are still pretty decent.

See, that's the funny thing. I think the ninja sets are stupid, but find the tough skeletons to be the seller for me. I like the skeletons themselves, but their macho vehicles are the more interesting part. And I really like the looks of the bad-guy castle. Personally, I thought the idea of the game with the cards and spinning them to fight was incredibly stupid, but kids seem really into it. Ninjago seems to be a line that they're just throwing a lot of different ideas into, hoping that something in it will appeal to a lot of people.
infallible

Postby combattank » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:14 pm

In case anyone is interested, the show is airing right now in the west coast on Cartoon Network.
combattank

Postby turtle1173 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 pm

I personally feel that this is a well thought out line and that's the reason they are putting everything into it. We know, of course, how popular legos are. In recent days the lego games have become a pretty good hit. This is, in my opinion, a combining of the two. Not just a lego series and not just a game set but both.

I was not excited about this series at all when news first came out about it. My son showed some interest after seeing some commercials and seeing the spread in the Lego catalog. After they hit the stores, my kids decided they needed the starter spinner set, their interest has soared. I'll admit, I'm kind of enjoying it also. I'm insisting at this point that we just go with the spinners because what we don't need is another series to collect, LOL. Between Star Wars, castle stuff, and some pirates, we do not need to start another series!
turtle1173

Postby theone » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Aharown wrote:

They could do well, actually. Remember Bionicle.

hey i like bionicles it was like techics for 9 yea olds
theone

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes