Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] NinjaGo

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: [NEW STUFF] NinjaGo

Postby Draykov » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 am

I guess I'm taking solace in the fact that these probably aren't the only sets they'll be appearing in. Plus...ya know...Bricklink.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Coret » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Draykov wrote:I guess I'm taking solace in the fact that these probably aren't the only sets they'll be appearing in. Plus...ya know...Bricklink.

When I saw those bones, I immediately began thinking about how good that would be in a Rancor set.......
Coret

Postby ufjason » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Can you say DOA? The only desirable thing is the straw hat that comes with some of the sets!
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Krataka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:10 pm

The only set I might get is probably either the Dragon or the Ninja Outpost. Most of the sets just look weird and the Game set prices are just awful. At most in the US it might be a full $10 as I hear in the UK its gonna be 8 Euros. I could be wrong but either way, I'm getting a set. Not an expensive game set. Or should it not be called a set at all?
Krataka

Postby Isaac5 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:39 am

well I will be mad at lego if they are that expensive. these should be impulses.
Isaac5

Postby that guy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:45 am

Isaac5 wrote:well I will be mad at lego if they are that expensive. these should be impulses.

While I agree, I still think sadly the 'impulse' will be to walk away.....
that guy

Postby Honger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:56 am

I do like the Ghost Rider set.
Honger

Postby Robzula » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Robzula wrote:
Draykov wrote:What is this theme? I'm guessing several 12 year olds hopped up on Mountain Dew and Pixie Stix were involved in the development.

I think that's a good assumption...

"What should the next LEGO line be, son?"

"NINJAS! And they're like old time ninjas... but they ride ROBOT DRAGONS and fight, uh... SKELETONS! No... SKELETON NINJAS! THAT DRIVE MONSTER TRUCKS! AND HAVE A SUPER HIGH TECH BASE!"

...and then the kid runs around the room screaming for a few seconds before sitting down and yelling at people on Halo.

Isaac5 wrote:some stuff that proved us right.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 pm

BOOOOORING!

Like GIR3691 mentioned, this theme could have been really cool, but now, it's just a blend of things that don't go well together.
Daz Hoo

Postby Aharown » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm not sure. They seem rather...quirky.

The dojo's rather nice.

They could do well, actually. Remember Bionicle.

Of course, they could also flop and get discounted for 50-75% off, like Time Travellers/Time Twisters. Anyone remember those? They were little more than parts packs.
<><
Aharown

Postby that guy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Aharown wrote:
They could do well, actually. Remember Bionicle.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I don't think Bionicle is the standard that Lego wants any new theme to measure up to. Sure it had a niche market and were great if you were 10 (well maybe 9) and yes I know there are some die hard Bionicle people/groups out there, but for the majority of Lego lovers you moved on when your voice started changing and left Bionicle behind. Even on the secondary market you see everything labeled Lego, Bionicle, and other. Most people won't even let it corrupt their bricks. I just hope the packaging for Ninjago has a neck brace on it because IMHO they're going to flop harder than the Wolrd Cup soccer player. XD
that guy

Postby infallible » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 pm

Krataka wrote:At most in the US it might be a full $10 as I hear in the UK its gonna be 8 Euros.

Our brand retail January release information was at the store last week. They're calling those sets with a minifig, cards, weapons, and circular thing a "weapons pack" and they are priced at $10 (if I'm remembering correctly).

Skeletons are definitely the highlight for me. LEGO does such great bad guys (see also Agents, Space Police) that I can't help but love them! I want to say that this theme seems weaker than the ones I've come to enjoy in the past, but I had a strong dislike of Atlantis and Space Police, but they won me over.
infallible

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 am

When they cancel this line in a year or two, I'm predicting somebody will call it NinjaGone.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby that guy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Mofo Jones wrote:When they cancel this line in a year or two, I'm predicting somebody will call it NinjaGone.

Well played Mofo, well played.

I do however think you're a bit optimistic on the 1-2yrs. This stuff looks bad enough that it could beat Avatar for the fastest series to retire.....
that guy

Postby Draykov » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Avatar was 2 sets. Looks like LEGO put some more into the production of these than Avatar.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby that guy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Draykov wrote:Avatar was 2 sets. Looks like LEGO put some more into the production of these than Avatar.

Yeah I know, I was just being snarky. I'm sure they'll find a market to keep it viable for a while. There's just enough elements that are cool to keep people buying them on some kind of basis.
that guy

Postby Tar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 pm

So, on the back, there are 4 golden ninja weapons, a scythe, throwing stars, nunchucks and the dragon sword, but no set has the dragon sword that I can tell. The dragon sword is an outline of what I presume is this... http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... 3Bd%253D70 Anyone got any info?

I really like the new skellies, and the return of a ninja theme is just really fun. Not quite sold on the game portion of it yet, but the sets themselves are well done.

Edit: Sword is spotted... http://www.flickr.com/photos/57393885@N ... otostream/ set 2254, looks neat, but it has spinners :S
Tar

Postby that guy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 pm

I am totally eating my words (at least for now and only from a sales standpoint). I was in a Lego store today talking to the Store Manager and he couldn't stop talking about how much Ninjago they were selling (even he thought it was going to be a bit of a flop). In the hour or so I was in there, at least half the customers bought at least one set and I counted 4-5 customers who bought the entire theme and most had at least several sets in hand. I was also in TRU and while the shelves were wiped, they did look like they had sold a fair amount of Ninjago as well. While I still think it's the oddest assortment of pieces, I agree that the whole "spinjitsu" thing still seems odd especially since there's no launcher for them. You just throw them at each other. Even my 10 year old thinks that part is a bit lame but he likes the rest. I will pick some up next time there's a sale for the parts, and who knows, I may even fall in love, or at least in like, but I doubt it...
Last edited by that guy on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that guy

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:33 am

I think this set is probably too kid friendly with it's game aspect to really attract the adult collector. I think adults have enough sense that some of these sets don't make too much sense, but for a kid, I bet they think it's cool.
Gooker1

Postby jonutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 pm

As an AFOL, the sets are horrendous and a departure from what makes Lego great: cool models, figures, with some nifty new parts (think Midieval Market Place). As a parent, I wouldn't buy these for my kids simply because I think they're faddish and will not have as high a reuse value as Harry Potter or SW sets over time. I've seen my kids blow money on similar fad themes like Ben 10 and Exo-Force, only to see the sets quickly fall apart and be religated to the bottom of some box.

So, as someone else said, I hope NinjaGoesAway.

- Jon
jonutah

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes