Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] NinjaGo

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: [NEW STUFF] NinjaGo

Postby banthafodder » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I just completed one of the sets. It was the Ice Dragon. Like most I looked at this line and said, meh, but I liked the look of the dragon head so I decided to give it a try. Overall it was a fun build but what I really liked were some of the pieces in this set. The dragon feet are awesome as well as the tri-flanged part for the claws on the wings.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=92692
Also a lot of ball joints in this set. Let's not forget the dragon's head which is really well done. While I'm not overly excited about this line or the idea of ninjas as sword wielding whirling dervishes, I really enjoyed this set for the overall look and part selection.
banthafodder

Postby Aharown » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:20 pm

theone wrote:
Aharown wrote:

They could do well, actually. Remember Bionicle.

hey i like bionicles it was like techics for 9 yea olds

I think you misunderstood me - I'm actually agreeing with you, theone.

When Bionicle first came out, most AFOL's said meh - but the kids loved them. At first glance, most people are saying the same about this series, but it may very well prove popular with kids too.

Remember, Lego is a toy company first and foremost. If they make buckets of money with children selling Bionicle or some other series, then who cares, really? More chance then that they'll take a risk bringing out rare UCS sets or something for the collectors, because they're financially solvent enough to do so.

Just my 2 cents.
<><
Aharown

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Anyone else think this theme is doing really well?

Local Walmart has been cleaned out completely of all but the 2 most expensive sets and my local TRU and Target are close to the same, only a handful of each of the smaller sets left.

I'm glad to see a line that doesn't just warm the shelves for months like some of the other recent offerings.
MisterFubar

Postby jimmyrap » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm

My local stores just started to get them in stock. While they are compatible with other Lego bricks, I don't really view them the same way. I find them strangely addictive though. We have the battle arena set up in our kitchen and I am constantly spinning the figures with my son whenever we are waiting on somebody to leave the house, waiting for food to cook, or whenever we have a spare moment. We don't really play the "game", we just spin the figures and battle.

Jeff
jimmyrap

Postby combattank » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm

TRU is doing a promotion this week where if you buy $20 worth of Lego NinjaGo items they'll give you a NinjaGo Card Collecting Binder and a NinjaGo promotional card. The problem though is trying to find $20 worth of NinjaGo items on the shelves to buy since they either don't have a lot of stock or it gets sold out really fast.
combattank

Postby mrfootball » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Personally, I'm not real into this genre, but my kids love Ninjago. The 2 cartoon episodes that aired a few weeks ago were very well done and they would do well to create more like them. There are a couple of things that are genius moves by Lego...1) Ninjas (a lot of kids are into Karate, martial arts etc.) 2. Cards (a lot of kids are into Pokemon and other card games 3. Competition (kids love to compete). I would also add that the Lego Store has some neat play swords (complete w/back scabbard...just like the Ninjas) along with some neat Ninja headbands - great if your kids like to run around the yard playing Ninja.
mrfootball

Postby Draykov » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Well, it's official if there was any doubt left. Ninjago is doing great...even better than LEGO expected.

I still don't quite get the appeal (I was convinced the theme was going to tank), but I understand that this line isn't aimed at me. Kids these days. ;)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby that guy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Draykov wrote:I still don't quite get the appeal (I was convinced the theme was going to tank), but I understand that this line isn't aimed at me. Kids these days. ;)

Amen to that, I thought as you did that this was going down harder than a donut in front of Kirstie Alley, but alas it has proven itself thus far. I can't keep them in stock and I never grow tired of kids/parents/grandparents coming in and asking for Nin-jugo, Nin-jago, Nin-Jango, Ninja-go, Those Ninjas, Ninjas stuff, and countless other renditions of it. :lol:
that guy

Postby Tyrant » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Draykov wrote:Well, it's official if there was any doubt left. Ninjago is doing great...even better than LEGO expected.

I still don't quite get the appeal (I was convinced the theme was going to tank), but I understand that this line isn't aimed at me. Kids these days. ;)

They don't appeal to me, though I do get the appeal. It's Ninjas. Fighting skeletons. Some of whom are on motorcycles. Throw in some pirates and robots (both of which must also have motorcycles and monster trucks) and you've got something small kids couldn't live without. I do like the new skeletons though. I am going to use them as generals/champions for my skeleton army. The ninjas get to join my older ninjas.

Edit to add: To clarify, I mean the sets themselves don't appeal to me. The skeleton figures and a few of the other figures appeal to me, but not most of the sets. The Dragon is the exception. I have bought it but I have not assembled it yet.

Side question that I hope hasn't already been answered. Are the figures in the spinner sets regular quality or are they of lesser quality?
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 am

I'm in the "adult" camp that doesn't much care for the premise of this line, it's mostly the skeleton baddies that kill it for me. They're sort of cartoony and over-done, and the idea of "ninjas vs. skeletons" is just too out-there for me (like Draykov said, kids these days!). If this was ninjas only, it would be a very different story.

I do like the ninja figs, and have contemplated trying to collect just those, but I ain't payin' $10 for a fig, spinner, and 3 playing cards. And it appears the impulse sets/polybags only feature the red ninja. Bummer. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Tyrant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am

MrCRskater wrote:I'm in the "adult" camp that doesn't much care for the premise of this line, it's mostly the skeleton baddies that kill it for me. They're sort of cartoony and over-done, and the idea of "ninjas vs. skeletons" is just too out-there for me (like Draykov said, kids these days!). If this was ninjas only, it would be a very different story.

I do like the ninja figs, and have contemplated trying to collect just those, but I ain't payin' $10 for a fig, spinner, and 3 playing cards. And it appears the impulse sets/polybags only feature the red ninja. Bummer. . .

The cheapest boxed set ($5) features a black ninja (along with a spear, knives, a bow, and a katana), if that helps at all.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby Crackseed » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 am

I'm enjoying the theme overall. But then again I'm a big japanese culture/ninja fan so this is like catching up on the old samurai LEGO sets that are long gone. Nevermind the Ice Dragon set in particular is really fun and has some great pieces.

I do agree the skellies are a bit odd - don't like how their legs are designed [stubby] but they're still interesting :)
Crackseed

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 am

Tyrant wrote:Side question that I hope hasn't already been answered. Are the figures in the spinner sets regular quality or are they of lesser quality?

I've only got one of the Skeleton spinners, so I'm not sure how to check the quality. (Chopov - I find that name hilarious for a character wielding an enormous sword.)

I also have set 2516 with the black ninja (Cole). I was surprised to see that both arms have markings on them, but it is not the rectangular indentation associated with lower quality. The left arm seems to have the raised text '© Lego' on it. I haven't figured out yet what it says on the right arm as the markings are quite small.
Overall the torso piece gives me the impression of being regular quality, but I wouldn't consider myself an authority on this subject.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby WarlordJHW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

12+? Five year olds can't even find a partner to play this. You have to spin it by hand! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :'( :( : :shock: :brick: :?:
Gosh, is that Cheetos on your keyboard?
Spoiler: show
Kingdoms and Castles, what should I choose?
WarlordJHW

Postby Rook » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 pm

WarlordJHW wrote:12+? Five year olds can't even find a partner to play this. You have to spin it by hand!

12+?

Not sure what you mean by that. :roll:

Five year olds can't even find a partner to play this.

Some people have siblings that provide them with a natural playmate within their own residence. ;)
You have to spin it by hand!

You have to build it by hand too! :lol:
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby D-Bone » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 am

Hello Community. First time poster here. Hope its OK I tag onto the general Ninjago thread for my queries.

So next week, Season 2 of the Ninjago animated series starts up on Cartoon Network. We missed the boat on Season 1 that started last year.

According to this page, there were 8 episodes in Season 1:
http://www.tvrage.com/LEGO_NinjaGo-Masters_of_Spinjitzu/episode_list/all

However, brickpedia is saying there were 10 episodes?
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Ninjago%3A_Masters_of_Spinjitzu

So, I have 2 questions.
1. Can anyone clarify how many and which episodes actually aired?
2. Is there anywhere to see the entire episodes of the first season? I would love to get caught up with my boys before next weeks premiere.

Thanks in advance!
D-Bone

Postby Robzula » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Edit: Here you go.

Season one was a four part mini-movie along with six online shorts. The movie was originally only two parts but was split into four when they aired on CN, hence the discrepancy on the 8/10 episodes. They involve the ninja's battle against Lord Garmadon and his skeleton army along with their search for the golden weapons. Not sure where you could find them. Season two will follow the rise of an ancient race of evil snake men. As far as I can tell, they don't involve Lord Garmadon, just his son Lloyd, so unless you really care about finding out how the ninjas got together and found their gold weapons/dragons, season two is a suitable starting point.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby D-Bone » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:27 am

Robzula wrote:Edit: Here you go.

Season one was a four part mini-movie along with six online shorts. The movie was originally only two parts but was split into four when they aired on CN, hence the discrepancy on the 8/10 episodes.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. We have seen the clips on the Lego site but I wasn't sure if there were additional full 30 minute episodes of season one that we were missing. Appreciate the info!

Have a great day!
D-Bone

Postby combattank » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:33 pm

The next episode is supposed to air today at 8PM on Cartoon Network.
combattank

Postby batsamd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Not sure if this has been posted already since I'm not interested in Ninjago but I thought I'd link to some pics of the big-figs I saw at Big Lots a while back.

They come with sound emitting clips to hook them to belt loops or backpacks and such.
batsamd

Previous

Return to Original Themes