Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] - Adventurers: Pharao's Quest

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

[NEW STUFF] - Adventurers: Pharao's Quest

Postby Draykov » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:19 pm

It would seem with Indy's exit, Johnny is due for a triumphant return. This may be intended to be a stand-alone theme that doesn't necessarily include Johnny Thunder, but we all know this is Adventurers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49903799@N ... otostream/
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: [NEW STUFF] - Adventurers: Pharao's Quest

Postby Jargon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:02 pm

I dunno. It's monster-focus makes it feel more like Atlantis in Egypt. The winged mummies do look pretty sweet though.
EDIT: Also, more pictures can be found here.
Jargon

Postby Draykov » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm digging that khopesh and the scarab shield. They don't really have much versatility outside of an Egyptian theme of some kind (particularly the sword)...maybe in a town museum...but still cool.

Jargon wrote:I dunno. It's monster-focus makes it feel more like Atlantis in Egypt.

I hear you (referring to 7305), but I still think the overall theme fits as a subtheme of Adventurers more than anything else.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Robzula » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 pm

It looks like it's just the snake and beetle ones that are really just monster sets, which isn't too bad considering there aren't a whole lot of choices they could do for vehicles\temples without getting too repetitive. Really digging the Anubis helmets and hawk helmets\wings, as well as all the new other accessories (new and old, revolvers and rifles can never show up often enough). Also LOOK AT THAT PYRAMID! Why do they have to hide it under a giant scorpion?!

I'm excited to set up that pyramid next to the Temple of Anubis, and then have that new biplane dogfighting with the Baron's biplane overhead.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:51 am

Robzula wrote:Also LOOK AT THAT PYRAMID! Why do they have to hide it under a giant scorpion?!

Looks like a fair amount of raised baseplate in the pyramid structure, plus the usual "printed or stickers?" worry. Still worth a closer look though, once the set hits the shelves.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby legomatt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 am

Well, have to say i'm a bit dissappointed with the Atlantis-in-eqypt look of these. Don't get me wrong, i love a bit of fantasy and adventure, but when i heard the rumour about Egypt sets, i really hoped for something along an 'ancient civilisations' line, something much more accurate and true to history, being able to play with some ancient peoples building pyramids, sphinxes, temples, and fighting off the might of Rome.

Sure they could still have thrown in the element of an undiscovered magic portals leading to other realms/time periods if they wanted - by making the portal a seperate set. But there's just so much richness of this period, the made-up stuff isn't needed in the same way that Atlantis needs it. I actually think that if they had bought the 'Mummy Returns' film licenses we'd have probably got more Eqypt.
legomatt

Postby Diaaabo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Me wants! Stickers aside, I really like this line. I would surely prefer a more history-accurate Egyptian theme, but this one is ok. We can have the monuments and use the monsters for parts. All that tan/dark tan/dark red seems so appealing to me :cool:
Diaaabo

Postby that guy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Did anyone else notice how similar if not the same one of the mummies are compared to the upcoming S3 mummy? From what I can tell the only difference may be that the S3 mummy has green 'skin' and the new sets don't. Interesting to see almost an exact replica of a proprietary S1-S3 minifig show up in a set.
that guy

Postby Bricks McBlock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm liking the set with the bike, it looks abit like Mutt's bike but is still pretty cool. Also likes like it comes in a nice cheapish set. XD
We came here to Block!
Bricks McBlock

Postby Marty » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:13 am

Once again, thank you for showing these pictures, the sets have great possibilities especially the pyramid.
Having had all the original Egypt adventure sets at one stage, I have noticed that certain things have been left out that would have made these a bit more interesting. In the original sets, they had cars, trucks and a hot air balloon, these have all been left out, instead replaced by an assorted array of monsters?
Okay, so the mini-figures are interesting but the rest, well... that remains to be seen.
I would have much preferred if each set represented a room of the pyramid with a puzzle you have to solve & traps, and one set devoted to the actual explorers, with the completed range making a large more interesting pyramid.
Also what a good way to re-introduce the camel, but alas, it was not to be?

Also in the same range of photos, Atlantis, with better monsters and interesting buildings, the Greek temple is the one I'm really looking forward too, well done Lego your finally listening ;)
Marty

Postby EbonHawk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

That is awesome. Love it.
EbonHawk

Postby GrayMattR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:43 pm

Adventurers was definitely one of my all-time favorite lines. I like the Anubis head for sure. I hope he doesn't just come in the biggest set because I personally don't like the pyramid but I see it's attractiveness to kids.
GrayMattR

Postby Robzula » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:14 pm

GrayMattR wrote:I personally don't like the pyramid but I see it's attractiveness to kids.

ಠ_ಠ
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Isaac5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:40 am

I'm digging those eagle wings!

we can't forget that we arent supposed to see this, this is intended for retailers to decide how much of these they can buy/sell not so that they can look for new elements, and we also have to remember how much these can change, this will probably be so much different next time we see it that it might not even be funny. so all these figs will probably have something significantly different about them.

don't judge these sets off of these preliminary pictures.
Isaac5

Postby xwingyoda » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:28 am

From the look of those preliminary pics I have to say its clearly one of the non licence theme that gets me really excited. I always loved the Egyptian saga in the adventurer theme and I'm so happy to see it back.

Its interesting to notice that Lego didn't take the man vs man approach (Thunder against Sinister) but the man vs creature approach like Atlantis. Those new mummies are just perfect with their Horus and Anubis headpiece. The new sword and scarab shield is just almazing as well. Also I'm really happy to see the return of the Harley Davidson.

It also shows that TLC does try and create Collectable Minifigs that do fit well in themes: there are several from the 3 waves that are perfect for the adventurer theme. That can bring the following question: will TLC pursue the story in Greece ? After all we do have a Greek temple with Atlantis and a hoplite with wave 2 of the Collectable Minifigs. I really want to believe...
xwingyoda

Postby Draykov » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am

xwingyoda wrote:That can bring the following question: will TLC pursue the story in Greece ? After all we do have a Greek temple with Atlantis and a hoplite with wave 2 of the Collectable Minifigs. I really want to believe...

Well, it does make the new molds for the Collectible Minifig line make a bit more sense...LEGO doesn't typically create new molds for one-off use. Combine that with the 2x2 round brick with grooves in the new Atlantis and Diagon Alley sets...I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but the evidence is starting to accumulate. My Magic 8-ball says "ask again later."
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby brownie69yov4 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 pm

well this is the first non- star wars line that has gotten me excited in a very long time. I loved the original Johnny Storm and the adventurers line. I would love to see this turn into a indy-esque period line, with adventures in Mexico, GREECE, china, Tibet, maybe russia or something. Interesting that the line is actually called Pharoa's Quest, and not something generic like adventurers that would make it line that could continue elsewhere, not that they can't figure it out. When I first heard about Atlantis I was hoping it would be a steam punk esqe explorers line....

br()wnie
brownie69yov4

Postby infallible » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 am

I have come to the conclusion that I can't anticipate how I'll actually react when these hit. Seeing the pictures, I can muster a "meh" for them, but who knows when I see them. I had the same reaction to Atlantis, and I've come to really like parts of that line. Same for Space Police, though I like it more than Atlantis.

I'll certainly give it a try when it comes out.
infallible

Postby Draykov » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:07 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Jake Raines torso looks awesome. Love the bandolier. Mummies look great as well. I'm excited for this line.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Original Themes