Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Architecture Value

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Lego Architecture Value

Postby combattank » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:25 am

Are Lego Architecture sets worth the price you pay for them?

I've considered buying the Seattle Space Needle set and the Falling Water set, but the price per piece ration in general seems to be really off (the 0.10 rule). I read in the Lego Catalog that the sets come with a booklet which discusses the history and design of the buildings. Has anyone looked through these booklets and what was your opinion on them?

On the other hand, is it just easier to build the buildings by obtaining the pieces separately or even building them on a different scale?
combattank

Re: Lego Architecture Value

Postby bigospedros » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 am

combattank wrote:the price per piece ration in general seems to be really off (the 0.10 rule).

This "rule" is becoming more an exception than a rule ... I would ignore it.

If you like the set and you think it's worth the price being set, then buy it ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:02 am

I've been buying them, but only at the actual site the set represents. That way it's not an expensive Lego set, but a cheap souvenir.
MisterFubar

Postby Draykov » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 am

As usual, I think this thread has some relevance to this question. I sincerely want to avoid seeming unfriendly, but if I lack patience for these types of questions, it's usually because someone is out to make a buck and is taking advantage of our eager-to-help community by using them as their appraiser. I'm cynical that way. Not accusing you of anything, combattank, just speaking generally about my own mindset in the hopes of explaining that any perceived crotchetiness on my part is brought about by slick profiteers, not honest LEGO-loving folk.

The thing is, "value" of a LEGO set in the context of using it and enjoying it is really up to the individual. With that in mind, there is plenty of information available online that can tell one what he/she needs to know about set inventory, instructions, the average price of sets of comparable size, etc. If one is only curious as to what one can get for it on eBay, I suggest they do a search for the item there. To answer your question, I think there is a bit of a mark-up for Architecture sets because of their "premium" nature and specialty decorated plates. I would think, given the relative ubiquitousness of the part/color selection in most architecture sets, that you could probably piece together the sets via Bricklink/Pick-a-Brick for cheaper than the retail set. Then again, that's not taking shipping/handling charges into consideration. For a real answer to that question, some research is required. Just in case you weren't aware, you can build wanted lists in Bricklink based on an individual set's inventory. If you haven't done that yet, you might try it to see how likely you'd be to acquire the parts you need in as few shops as possible to cut down on shipping.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to Original Themes