Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Original Theme Ideas

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Original Theme Ideas

Postby legomatt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:26 am

EDIT: At first I made this post in the 'Licensed Theme you'd like to see' thread... needless to say, this does not require a license so i moved it here, and as I couldn't spot an equivalent topic, thought i might as well kick one off.

The two (ish) themes i would REEEEEEALLY love to see are (and i don't care what other manufacturers out there have done, they just ain't LEGO!):

Roman & Egyptian,

The architectural legacy of those two civilisations alone is breathtaking, and would look great as both minifig scale sets and UCS sets. Imagine, a colloseum complete with gladiators and mob, the forum with toga wearing senators (et tu brutus?!), temples, 'open-up' pyramids with secret chambers, the roman 'war machine' battle packs, chariots, armies, Cleopatra's bath chamber, etc. The possibilities are endless. The theme could be played out as rival roman generals vying for power, seeking the support of egyptian pharoah to tip the balance of power in their favour, while cleopatra/priests plot a coup of their own.

And Ancient Greek (both mythic & legendary). The Labyrinth, Hercules, Spartans, Athens, Triremes, Gods and Immortals, Gorgons, and so much MORE!
Last edited by Draykov on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title to be more consistent with similar threads in other forums/contexts.
legomatt

Re: What non-licensed them would you'd love to see?

Postby Mos_Eisley » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Greeks and/or Romans would also be first on my list.

Next would be a theme park series. I wouldn't need to have actual working roller coasters or anything, but Midway games, snack stands, small rides, park entrance, etc. would make for some great sets in my opinion. I've always wanted to create my own little theme like this but have never found the time...

Jason
Mos_Eisley

Postby Draykov » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm moving this puppy to the "Orignal Themes" forum since that seems more fitting. This subject came up in the old forums when the LEGO group was soliciting for this kind of information via the ambassador program:

Draykov wrote:Theme Name: Space Haulers
Characters: Good guys are basically fun-loving space-truckers and their robot assistants...the bad guys are space pirates/bandits.
Conflict: Space-truckers use their cargo hauling vessels to tranport a variety of valuable goods across the galaxy. The space-pirates/bandits want this cargo.
Setting: Space, various planetary depots and spaceports.
Background Info: The space-truckers are good natured, every day guys just trying to make an honest living. The long treks through space can be tough and lonely, so stopping off at the occasional port-side eatery/trucker club is important. The bandits do their best to take everything they can from the space haulers while on their cargo hauling missions.

Theme Name: Space Explorers/Xeno-Archaeologists
Characters:Good guy explorers, bad guy indigenous aliens.
Conflict: Xeno-Explorers want the cool and interesting artifacts that are rich in alien technology. Aliens don't want it in the hands of puny "hoomons".
Setting: One or several alien worlds to explore/space.
Background Info: Good guys are curious scientists interested in finding out about abandoned alien civilizations. The bad guys are the aliens who haven't quite abandoned their alien civilizations. (This is sort of the opposite of Don's idea).

Theme Name: Jungle Planet
Characters: Adventurous zoologists and botanists (think Jane Goodall and Steve Irwin with spaceships) vs. alien plants and animals.
Conflict: Well intentioned space explorers seek out new life and find hungry, hungry danger instead.
Setting: The jungle planet and the human bases on its surface.
Background Info: Basically, a solid mix of adventure seekers and nerdy scientists types encounter Venusian fly-trap type plants and monstrous creatures while exploring the jungle planet in the name of scientific adventure. Could also be extended to ice planet, desert planet, water planet, etc.

Theme Name: Super Adventure Team/Danger Squad
Characters: Good guys are a team of 5-7 unique individuals, one of whom must be a female, one of whom might be a younger individual. Bad guys are some large, undeniably evil organization like James Bond's SPECTER or GI Joe's Cobra.
Conflict: The good guys use their special vehicles (1 or 2 space/air-based, 1 or 2 land-based, 1 or 2 water-based) to generally save innocents from the bad guys or the Earth from natural disaster/alien invasion. The bad guys, due to their dedication to evil in everything they do, try to stop the good guys.
Setting: The good guys operate from their large flying vehicle (preferably with space travel and submersible capability). Members of the good-guy team have smaller vehicles that utilize modularity to connect to or are housed in the larger vehicle.
Background Info: Think "Thunderbirds"/"Scientific Rescue Unit TechnoVoyager" or "Battle of the Planets"/"Science Ninja Team Gatchaman".

Theme Name: Mermaids' Lagoon
Characters: Girls, girls and more girls. Princesses, mermaids, snow bunnies, you name it.
Conflict: This one is for the ladies. Conflict need not apply.
Setting: Cottages, peaceful lagoons, palaces, parks and elaborate pink treehouses.
Background Info: Basically, my 6-year-old daughter inspired this. She enjoys the pink, femme friendly aspect of Belville but seems to enjoy the standard LEGO minifig and his/her accessories more so than Belville. Basically, this runs with the idea of the mermaid included in 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty and merges the concept with the Paradisa from the mid to late 90s. Sort of a Paradisa meets fantasy world that puts heavy emphasis on unique female minifigs.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: Original Theme Ideas

Postby Robzula » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 pm

I want something like the Town line, but in Space. No guns, no bad guys, no conflict, just people (humans AND aliens) trying to make their way in everyday life... in space!
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby darthsantkuyl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:03 pm

for the lego survey I said they should have kind of a johnny thunder theme with a large ship in the age of discovery, traveling to England, France, jamestown, Carribean, Asia, conquistidors in south america, Africa, madagascar, gallopagos Is. playing heavily into ships to sort of continue the pirate themes.
I lost my glasses and all I got was this lousy Megablok
darthsantkuyl

Postby MicroJow » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:28 pm

I'd like to see a "Tribute to the 1900s" series of houses. One house from each decade designed in the style of the period with interiors and decorations to match. For instance, a 1920s House could have a radio, non-electric icebox, victrola, and one of those things they used to squeeze water out of clothing.

J
MicroJow

Postby possum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:36 am

MicroJow wrote:I'd like to see a "Tribute to the 1900s" series of houses. One house from each decade designed in the style of the period with interiors and decorations to match. For instance, a 1920s House could have a radio, non-electric icebox, victrola, and one of those things they used to squeeze water out of clothing.

J

Pretty cool idea there. To go a step further, what about like a NYC apartment from that era and a more rural home. A house from the 30s is a lot different if you're in, say, North Carolina.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

Postby Duckman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 am

legomatt wrote:The architectural legacy of those two civilisations alone is breathtaking, and would look great as both minifig scale sets and UCS sets.

Completely agree
Duckman

Other winter buildings and scenes

Postby WillyWampa » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I just got my winter village bakery and winter toy shop from S@H. It got me wondering if the winter/christmas themed sets will be an annual event and if so what types of winter building could be added to the lineup to complement the 3 winter set we have so far? I think a winter house decorated for christmas would be a nice addition to the line.
WillyWampa

Postby onions » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Duckman wrote:
legomatt wrote:The architectural legacy of those two civilisations alone is breathtaking, and would look great as both minifig scale sets and UCS sets.

Completely agree

what i wouldn't give for an accurate present day roman coliseum.
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Other winter buildings and scenes

Postby Draykov » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:44 pm

WillyWampa wrote:It got me wondering if the winter/christmas themed sets will be an annual event and if so what types of winter building could be added to the lineup to complement the 3 winter set we have so far?

I am a sucker for Christmas. It reminds me of simpler times, before the weight of the world crushed my spirit. As a parent, I get to re-live those days a bit through my own progeny, particularly around the holidays.

10173 Holiday Train, 10199 Winter Toy Shop and 10216 Winter Village Bakery have all been awesome. While I like the idea of a simple family cottage decorated for Christmas, I think I'd prefer to see more market-based buildings to kind of build up that sort of "town center" feel when they're all displayed together. Maybe...

-a station for that train to finally stop at
-a poultry shop with a bunch of turkeys in the window
-a sweet shop (though, that's not far off from a bakery)
-post office
-Santa's workshop

Some little scenes that could accompany the larger sets might include:

-a horse-drawn sleigh
-a pick-up hockey game (with a hockey stick element)
-a town clock with a wreath or something on it
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:54 pm

gah, you just reminded me of how i chose not to get the holiday train. "why would i want a train?" was my exact thought process i believe... :(
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Marty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:38 am

Re: Tribute to the 1900?
Yes it is a great idea, but like most great ideas it needs an angle, there is a few ways Lego could approach this.
A theme based on the following novels,
Sherlock holmes
The time machine
The invisible man
Doctor jekyll
Christmas Carol
The works of Charles rooster.
Marty

what themes would you make???

Postby theone » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:50 am

i would personally like to see army theme

so what would u like
theone

Postby ttoole73 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Draykov wrote:Theme Name: Space Haulers
Characters: Good guys are basically fun-loving space-truckers and their robot assistants...the bad guys are space pirates/bandits.
Conflict: Space-truckers use their cargo hauling vessels to tranport a variety of valuable goods across the galaxy. The space-pirates/bandits want this cargo.
Setting: Space, various planetary depots and spaceports.
Background Info: The space-truckers are good natured, every day guys just trying to make an honest living. The long treks through space can be tough and lonely, so stopping off at the occasional port-side eatery/trucker club is important. The bandits do their best to take everything they can from the space haulers while on their cargo hauling missions.

Theme Name: Space Explorers/Xeno-Archaeologists
Characters:Good guy explorers, bad guy indigenous aliens.
Conflict: Xeno-Explorers want the cool and interesting artifacts that are rich in alien technology. Aliens don't want it in the hands of puny "hoomons".
Setting: One or several alien worlds to explore/space.
Background Info: Good guys are curious scientists interested in finding out about abandoned alien civilizations. The bad guys are the aliens who haven't quite abandoned their alien civilizations. (This is sort of the opposite of Don's idea).

Theme Name: Jungle Planet
Characters: Adventurous zoologists and botanists (think Jane Goodall and Steve Irwin with spaceships) vs. alien plants and animals.
Conflict: Well intentioned space explorers seek out new life and find hungry, hungry danger instead.
Setting: The jungle planet and the human bases on its surface.
Background Info: Basically, a solid mix of adventure seekers and nerdy scientists types encounter Venusian fly-trap type plants and monstrous creatures while exploring the jungle planet in the name of scientific adventure. Could also be extended to ice planet, desert planet, water planet, etc.

I would totally jump on board with any one of these ideas. I also would like to see a dinosaur theme return since I missed the boat on the first one, and I'm hoping that with the release of Terra Nova this fall on Fox that my dream will come true.
ttoole73

Postby Tyrant » Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Robzula wrote:I want something like the Town line, but in Space. No guns, no bad guys, no conflict, just people (humans AND aliens) trying to make their way in everyday life... in space!

This sounds a lot like Classic Space, or at least that's the way I envision it. Only now with aliens (who aren't enemies), which would be a nice addition. I can live without conflict in the theme (though TLG might not go along with it). I would imagine it would have space houses, labs, cars, etc. I would like to see things roughly on level with Classic Space as far as the technology level. Above the current real world space tech level but maybe not quite to Space Police 3 levels where it looks like people have been living in space for several centuries. Kind of like the differences between Star Trek Enterprise, then The Original Series, and finally The Next Generation. It should be on the Enterprise/TOS end of things where it isn't quite to the "it's just like Earth, but it's an alien planet" and is instead obviously frontier-like with bulkier technology and people needing equipment just to go outside. If there has to be conflict, put humans and aliens on both sides. Use a group like Blacktron as the villains but have them be humans and aliens. Likewise, have the others be humans and aliens trying to work together to share their technology/culture/etc. I would buy something like this.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby azblue » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

I like that Trek-esque idea, Tyrant. I want to see more themes return, or at least have ways to link the to past ones. Zelda reference aside, I really wish that lego would bring back the classic Castle sets from my early childhood (Early 1990's). Exploriens would be a good one to revisit, maybe with an archeology twist like was said above.

I don't know how you guys feel about the Bionicle and previous lines of the same style, but I would like to see a good epic storyline + sets again, emphasis on the good.
azblue

Postby WarlordJHW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm

all i want is some good oldancient legos like china and greece
Gosh, is that Cheetos on your keyboard?
Spoiler: show
Kingdoms and Castles, what should I choose?
WarlordJHW

Return to Original Themes