Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Dear Lego: Uninspired "Collectable" Minifigs

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Dear Lego: Uninspired "Collectable" Minifigs

Postby TheWarrior » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:13 pm

...I really liked the Diver. :S
TheWarrior

Postby thepatient » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, I went back to TRU today, and used the Z-bar app to get the ones that I wanted. The thing that made me feel better about "cheating", I helped three families get the ones they wanted too. :cool: We wiped out the stock between the punch of us. So i don't think there are any more in my TRU any more. :'(

It was weird calling off the names -and the crowd that started to form around me. It was nice to help some kids get what they wanted.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby SuperDave » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:45 pm

TheWarrior wrote:...I really liked the Diver. :S

I have some extras if you want 'em. Send me a PM.
SuperDave

Postby ttoole73 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Being a cop myself, I'm actually looking forward to getting as many of those traffic cops as I can. I'm kinda glad he's not everyones favorite. Hopefully that'll make him easier for me to acquire in greater numbers. XD
ttoole73

Postby Iare Tosevite » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Why is diver not popular?

.. because diver took a dive on popularity polls. ;)
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby vynsane » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 am

ttoole73 wrote:Being a cop myself, I'm actually looking forward to getting as many of those traffic cops as I can. I'm kinda glad he's not everyones favorite. Hopefully that'll make him easier for me to acquire in greater numbers. XD

Are you going to get one for each squad car?
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Marty » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:11 pm

After reading this thread, I would like to say, no! I didn't care much for the diver either, but saying that, not many has a diver in their collection so I guess it was a safe bet for Lego to include one?
This is only the first wave of these figures, and as far as the second series goes, it is looking promising.
There is also the idea that the barcode thing was Cheating, I don't believe so, I bought at least 40 figures all up to get the complete set and if I had heard about the barcode thing sooner I wouldn't have, and left some for others who where disappointed at having none to buy. I even helped a few people with the barcode thing as they too where getting fed up. At buying the same one's over and over again. Oh, and Lego wasn't much help either, the one's I ordered from them never arrived and where a lot dearer not to mention the $30 freight charge, yeah they helped a lot!
The end result was, even if they had arrived, by the time they did, most shops already had them, they where cheaper, and it put me off buying something like this from them again.
But the bottom line is I like the figures, not all of them but some, and Lego is heading in the right direction for once!
Marty

Postby Daz Hoo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:50 pm

The other day, I was talking with one of my fellow LUG member who is a designer for the LEGO CITY theme (Pierre Normandin, not to name him), and he told me that the biggest complain LEGO got about the Minifig collection is not the selection of minifigs or the poor quality, but rather AFOLs and/or parents complaining that they didn't get THE minifig that they (or their kids) wanted when they went to the store. He said that, judging by the complains, I would seem that LEGO fans aren't used to that "Buy multiple to collect them all" way to make business and have a hard time adjusting.

But all complains aside, the bottom line for LEGO are the sales. Sure, retailers didn't order enough the first time around, but all of LEGO's production run is probably sold out by now and I'm sure that orders are pourring in for series 2.

So, despite some complains about the cheap quality (which is debatable IMHO) or the selection offered, I think the Minifig Collection is a big success for LEGO right now.
Daz Hoo

Postby vynsane » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:But all complains aside, the bottom line for LEGO are the sales. Sure, retailers didn't order enough the first time around, but all of LEGO's production run is probably sold out by now and I'm sure that orders are pourring in for series 2.

Unfortunately, I believe series 2 will be only slightly easier to complete, as I've read LEGO solicited both 1 and 2 at the same time. I think you'll have to wait until series 3 to see a marked improvement in distribution/availability.

vynsane

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:20 am

Well, I don't know about the States, but here in Canada, independant retailers who ordered them back in January were prioritized for sure. But given the success of series 1, I assume LEGO did a longer production run for series 2, hence why I think retailers might still be able to order a few more boxes from LEGO.
Daz Hoo

Postby vynsane » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:03 am

Daz Hoo wrote:But given the success of series 1, I assume LEGO did a longer production run for series 2, hence why I think retailers might still be able to order a few more boxes from LEGO.

That's what I'm saying, though - from what I've read, series 1 and 2 were solicited, ordred and therefore produced simultaneously. That being the case, series 2 will be just as rare as series 1, because it had the same production run.

vynsane

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am

That makes sense.

Still, if LEGO has no problem selling its production, it makes is very unlikely that they will change anything to that product, complains from AFOLs or not...
Daz Hoo

Postby Prince Kahuka » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

vynsane wrote:That's what I'm saying, though - from what I've read, series 1 and 2 were solicited, ordred and therefore produced simultaneously. That being the case, series 2 will be just as rare as series 1, because it had the same production run.

Series 2 won't necessarily be as rare in the US as Series 1. I've read elsewhere that LEGO didn't expect the figs to do so well in the US, so Europe was given a bigger share of the Series 1 figs. For Series 2, some of the production run that was originally planned for Europe will make its was to the US instead. Makes sense to me, since I've also heard that there are many places in Europe you can still find Series 1 by the bucketful.
Prince Kahuka

Postby vynsane » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Prince Kahuka wrote:Series 2 won't necessarily be as rare in the US as Series 1. I've read elsewhere that LEGO didn't expect the figs to do so well in the US, so Europe was given a bigger share of the Series 1 figs. For Series 2, some of the production run that was originally planned for Europe will make its was to the US instead. Makes sense to me, since I've also heard that there are many places in Europe you can still find Series 1 by the bucketful.

I never said it would be the same exact distribution, just that it was the same production run. There may be a slightly improved availability in The States with series 2 due to reallocation of the initial distribution plan. I only said that you'd have to wait until series 3 for a marked improvement in availability, as series 1 and 2 were produced to order at the same time.

The fact that LEGO didn't expect the CMFs to do well in the US seems like a crock to me. They were only available through TRU and LEGO brand stores here as well as the pitiful 5 per order shop.lego option. It's a question of retail outlets - they just weren't widely available here because they weren't widely ordered by stores.

vynsane

Previous

Return to Original Themes