Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Dear Lego: Uninspired "Collectable" Minifigs

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Dear Lego: Uninspired "Collectable" Minifigs

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Dear Lego, please stop putting uninspired minifigs in your so called "collectable" minifig series. What i mean by "uninspired" is figs that are fairly common/introduce nothing really new. In series one, some uninspired figs are the Ninja, Cowboy(?), Skaterboy, and especially the Diver. While Ninjas and Divers are cool and the Skaterboy has an awesome new hair piece, there is nothing really special about the Diver. He is the most unpopular minifig of the series, and IMO should never have been there.

Obviously, TLG hasn't learned their lesson yet because series 2 includes the Traffic Officer, Surfer, and Explorer. First off, the Traffic Officer really has nothing new to offer, even the print is similar to previous ones. The Surfer defies me on all means. Why should they include him even though they already have the lifeguard. For the Explorer, they had a whole theme devoted to explorers that was recent, so i can't understand that too.

I also hope TLC uses up-to-snuff quality plastic for series 2.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Re: Dear Lego: Uninspired "Collectable" Minifigs

Postby Chief » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Everyone's opinion is different: I agree in the traffic cop, but the surfer and explorer are great. You pointed out the "problem" of the surfer and the lifeguard: I think they're a perfect complement to each other! Likewise, I hope there's a football, soccer, or baseball player in future series to complement the cheerleader of Series 1.

That diver though. Someone dropped the ball on that one. Universal dislike for that fig.
Chief

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm

I wish everyone would stop posting their little rants in the Ask LEGO section.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Prince Kahuka » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:18 pm

I absolutely love the skater and the surfer! Not only are they awesome on their own, but I believe every part is unique except for the skateboard (which is cool anyways), the skater's pants, and maybe the surfer's torso.

Although I've been collecting a long time and already have a similar ninja, cowboy, and explorer, I can see how young kids would love to have these figs. Maybe even the diver and traffic cop as well, although it seems like a diver's been done recently. Even though I personally hate the traffic cop, at least it's radically different than the cops in the recent 5612 Police Officer impulse set and the 8401 City Minifigure Collection.
Prince Kahuka

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:20 pm

If I didn't like them I wouldn't buy them.
MisterFubar

Postby bigj22 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Um , with respect to your opinion. Last I checked, I thought Legos were not only designed for adults but maybe , just maybe, children too. I am adult collector and simply put, if you don't like them , don't buy them. Most kids probably like them. Honestly, I did buy the 1 st series set. Not once did I complain about what they made or how poorly they were made. For what I paid for them, it was worth the price to me.
bigj22

Postby The Brain » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Prince Kahuka wrote:I absolutely love the skater and the surfer! Not only are they awesome on their own, but I believe every part is unique except for the skateboard (which is cool anyways), the skater's pants, and maybe the surfer's torso.

I'm actually pretty sure the surfer's torso is new, and I'm really excited for that fig--I'm not a fan of fleshie figs (a number of reasons), so having a six-pack torso in YELLOW is flippin sweet.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby that guy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Maybe series 3 will come with some Lego cheese to go with all this Lego whine :) .....once gain, we're talking about little plastic toy blocks for G@D's sake. As said before above, you like it you buy it, you don't you don't. If people buy them, then Lego will keep making them. If people don't then they'll stop, but judging by the mass hysteria I can only guess it'll keep going for a while no matter what characters they make. And give them a break, not every figure will be a rock star to everyone but somewhere out there there's a kid happy as hell to have a few divers or cowboys for some MOC he/she's making.
that guy

Postby onions » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:28 am

The Brain wrote:I'm actually pretty sure the surfer's torso is new, and I'm really excited for that fig--I'm not a fan of fleshie figs (a number of reasons), so having a six-pack torso in YELLOW is flippin sweet.

i agree. i can finally make a proper sig fig in yellow.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby bigospedros » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:40 am

Whilst the diver is my least favourite of the series, as all I collect is Star Wars Lego, I don't have a diver minifig so it's a welcome addition to my collection.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby GrayMattR » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:07 am

The skater was the fig my kids wanted the most. I don't get what you have against the surfer since I've never seen a surfer fig in previous sets. Ninjas have been off the market for over 10 years so a lot of kids would love to get one. Same with the indian, diver, and explorer. </your rant debunked>

I get what you're saying about the cop. There are plenty of cops available right now. But one out of twelve aint bad.
GrayMattR

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:59 am

Ok, I get why people might like the Skater/Surfer, but still, the Traffic Cop and Diver are the black sheep of their series.

GrayMarrR: Well actually, the Adventurers and Cowboy themes were out until 2003(?)
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby onions » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:13 am

you can't honestly believe that the designers are going to bat a thousand with every single minifig do you?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby possum » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:16 am

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:the Traffic Cop and Diver are the black sheep of their series.

Have you seen the Crash Test Dummy?
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

Postby legomatt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 am

I like the series 1 mix, each fig has its merits in my book, yes some i like more than others, but isn't that always the way with any collection? I have some Star Wars figs that i like less than others, but they don't diminish the set by having them. For me variety is the joy of the series.

For that reason i'm less sold on series 2, the slightly lesser variety (no sci-fi?) combined with repeat elements that have had their moment of impact in series 1 makes for a naturally less exciting release... but i may yet warm to them. Only time will tell.

In fairness to Lego though, series 2 would have been designed at the same time as series 1. In effect designing 32 figs and separating them into 2 groups. Maybe it helps to view them as a collection of 32? Just a thought...

You can see this in the repeat use of Cheerleader/Lifesaver hair, Clown/Disco dude hair, Skater/Surfer hair and possibly a few other elements. A number of new moulds being used twice, mixed with existing moulds, made for a relatively safe product in comparison to just leaping headlong into creating 32 unique models. It makes sense from a business point of view, if you have no idea whether or not the series will be successful. (They might even have designed series 3 at the same time as 1 & 2. Which may mean even more repeat elements and 'old' figs).

This does mean there was no opportunity to gauge feedback until much later, I would imagine series 5 & 6 would be the most likely stage when feedback could be properly implemented. Maybe series 3 & 4 if we are lucky, if those have been kept at drawing board stage.

My personal hope is that series 3 & 4 will feature an increased number of unique elements, reflecting the success of 1 & 2, and implement some popular requests such as Canadian Mountie, British Palace Guard, Magician's Lovely Assistant (complete with 'feathery' leotard). Who knows, maybe they're ahead of us and already have the figs that complement series 1 & 2 planned for series 3.
legomatt

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:38 am

I think they already have series 3 planned out.

All I'm saying is that I would like them to have new, "original", never-before-seen figs in the series. I would also except reboots (Forestman, Cowboy, ect).
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby The Brain » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:47 am

onions wrote:
The Brain wrote:I'm actually pretty sure the surfer's torso is new, and I'm really excited for that fig--I'm not a fan of fleshie figs (a number of reasons), so having a six-pack torso in YELLOW is flippin sweet.

i agree. i can finally make a proper sig fig in yellow.

My thoughts exactly. ;)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby thepatient » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:18 am

I'm liking these collectables. I finally got a chance to go to TRU and get some of these figs. I tried the Z-bar app. on the iphone and it works great. I tried Shop savvy first and it was a big failure, I downloaded the other app with better results.

I did get the skater and really dig the hair piece, but its the T-shirt that he wears that really tickles me. Hopefully there will still be a chance to go in and get the rest this week, and only get the ones I need thanks to the Z-bar app..
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby onions » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:30 pm

i'm amazed that your tru still has some.

wtb cheerleaders...
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby thepatient » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:31 pm

The advantage of living in a smaller town I guess. The funny thing is that I had to ask if they had them. The lady showed me the place where were supossed to be. Then did a scan. She said they had some in the back she brought out a new box with 2 cases. Then I started the z-bar experiment. I only hope there are still some there when i go back, she told they go quick on the weekends. I still need to at least get a clown and a caveman.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Next

Return to Original Themes