Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Collectible Minifigures Series 2 Images - Updated!

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Quality of S2 Minifigs?

Postby kibosh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:31 am

Draykov wrote:It's been discussed, and the quality issues aren't quite as bad as we've seen recently in similar scenarios, but essentially, any minifig that's not in a dedicated LEGO set of some kind should be suspect.

Sorry. Like I said, I've been out of the hobby for a while!

That's really disappointing to hear. It makes them seem less Lego like to me. A big part of what makes Lego special is it's high quality and durability.
Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com.
kibosh

Re: Quality of S2 Minifigs?

Postby Draykov » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:55 pm

No need to apologize...just saying matter-of-factly, you're not the only one concerned and there are other threads here that delve into it more deeply if you're interested in digging for them (for example).

There are some other QC issues LEGO has gone through recently that related to all product, but for the most part, I've been able to let those slide because, in my experience, they've subsided. They can mostly be chalked up to growing pains (LEGO no longer molds parts from colored ABS pellets, but rather, uses clear pellets along with injected die for color...there was an adjustment period there with some color inconsistency). Also, recent production elements for the company got moved out of Denmark...I'm not really sure at this point whether these facilities in other parts of Europe, Mexico and (urgh) China are considered part of the company proper or if they're just third party hired guns.

At any rate, the worst affront to LEGO's time-honored dedication to quality seems to be mostly relegated to minifigures that come in non-traditional sets (i.e. magnets, keychains, games, fig-packs, etc.). So, the good news is the problems are somewhat contained. The bad news is that there shouldn't be any problems like this to begin with.

Sorry to rant, but this is kind of a soap-boxy thing for me.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: LEGO Collectible Minifigures Series 2 Images - Updated!

Postby MicroJow » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:13 pm

For what it's worth, here's the info I was given today by a Lego Store manager who has never steered me wrong in the past (although there's a first time for everything, right?) In order to get Walmart & Target interested in picking up Series 3 & 4, Lego sent them a small supply of Series 2 as a test run. This supply came out of the Lego Store stock, online distributor stock, Diamond Distributing's stock, etc... a few cases here, a few cases there... but Series 2 was produced in the same numbers as Series 1.

It might appear Series 2 had a higher production run, but that's because four major stores got them all within the same 2-week period (TRU, Target, Walmart, and the Lego Store.) Both Target and Walmart have received all they are going to get of Series 2 - it was estimated that each store would receive no more than 2 boxes.

Series 2 has been easier to find than Series 1 only because it hit all at once. It will dry up faster than Series 1 because there are no more cases to send to stores. So if you have the opportunity to get these and think you might want them, GET THEM NOW.

- MJ
MicroJow

Postby that guy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:29 pm

I couldn't agree more, here's my post from a few days ago on the "other" series 2 forum on FBTB.

This may very well be a case of perception is reality. Whether or not Lego actually made any more of S2 vs S1 isn't really what's at play here. What's at stake is the actual fact that at least 2 extra major chains have them available vs. before which at the very least gives the illusion of increased production. It's all speculation of course but consider the following. Lego physically sold out of S1 on S@H within 3 weeks but secondary markets continued to receive S1 shipments long after that (in some case a month later). What may be happening this time is EVERYONE got them within a tighter window (given the fact that Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer, and others have them already) giving the illusion of mass production, but in fact may lead to quicker out of stocks as a whole since we may not see them 'trickle' into store over a 2 month period so they may sell out as a group much faster than S1. Just my take on the situation.
that guy

Postby Isaac5 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I. AM. MAD.
Toys R Us's website wrote:This item does not participate in the check store inventory feature. Please visit your local store to determine availability

>:(
Isaac5

Postby mr_joshua » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Came back from a run at a local Wal-Mart and found a bunch. Completed my series two and picked up a few extra Spartans...but get this.

I felt fortunate that I managed to find 4 spartans, but 2 were missing their capes!!! I called up LEGO customer service and they said parts for the minifigs cannot be ordered/replaced, all they could do is ship me out two minifigs and HOPE they might be ones I need parts for. What a bunch of crap. I guess I will have to make archers out of them.

Anyone have any ideas on upcoming 2011 sets that might have the dark red cape?
mr_joshua

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:20 pm

That's especially lame since they could easily pick out a Spartan for you. I mean, either they believe you or they don't. If they don't, why send you anything? If they do, why not send you what you are actually missing, instead of just random stuff, when it costs them the same amount either way, and it is easy to do with the barcodes?
Mister Ed

Postby Diaaabo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:33 am

mr_joshua wrote:Anyone have any ideas on upcoming 2011 sets that might have the dark red cape?

Not sure because I don't own the minifig, but perhaps Squidman from Space Police III? Or the wrestler from Minifig S1?
Diaaabo

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:10 am

I came pretty close Friday evening on a toy run. Target had the box that once contained the figs. ]: (
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby SonOfSolo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

I looked at 2 Walmarts here in NorCal, including the towel aisles(yes I did really look there), and they didn't have anything. I took in a barcode for them to scan and no one could help me. One said only the registers could do it, one said only the managers could do it, one said you have to find someone in the department that the item would be with a scanner(does that mean the toy aisles and the towel aisles??).........uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I just need to find them. I might be able to go to another one tonight on the way to my parents house.
SonOfSolo

Postby Marty » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:44 am

Well.... First the good news, the second series for the mini-figures arrived in Australia on Saturday, in the Target stores.
Now the bad news, they where sold as soon as they hit the shelves, infact, I tried 3 stores and didn't get one.
The lucky ones that did, bought a whole box giving no-one else a chance. An due to the fact that Lego has these limited numbers, then the only way to get them is to pay 3rd party suppliers, which of course add their markup on them?
Lego, you really need to rethink this, and increase the supply.
Marty

Postby onions » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 am

it's not lego's fault that retailers didn't order any or enough.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby fredjh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:04 am

onions wrote:it's not lego's fault that retailers didn't order any or enough.

How do you know they didn't order enough?

Comments here suggest EE didn't get as many as they ordered. How do you know for certain that problem isn't more widespread?
fredjh

Postby that guy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:35 am

fredjh wrote:

Comments here suggest EE didn't get as many as they ordered. How do you know for certain that problem isn't more widespread?

In all fairness, Lego almost NEVER sends complete shipments to it's 3rd party retailers/wholesalers much less it's own retail stores. The big difference is that some companies who's liveliness depends on Lego and other toy manufacturers like EE, BigBad, and others can't take the chance of over-ordering 'just in case' they get short shipped because then IF Lego did ship a full order or full shipment on that particular item they'd have way more than they need. Being a product buyer is a very tricky business no matter what industry you're in but for one as fickle as Toys/Games it's even more volatile and even a so far proven winner like the Series 1/2 minifigs could crash at any moment for any given reason. For other retailers like Wallyworld, Tar'get, and ToysR'Overpriced, they get allocations from their warehouses and at the end of the day if they get one less case of any given product it doesn't really affect them. At store level, a single case (120 minifigs) is only $240-$360 for that store and with a given profit margin of MAYBE 25% they're actually making $60-$90 which is pennies for a store that on any given day will do several hundred thousand dollars total. Did big retailers drop the ball in our eyes as customers, sure they did. However in their eyes it may not have been worth the merchandising space and time risk for such a small impulse item. Little did they know that people everywhere would be buying them up in case loads as soon as they went out. What will be truly interesting to see is how much wider the distribution is for series 3 and what effects it has on the hoarders/resellers in terms of them buying up store inventory. I guess we'll wait and see what happens in January.
that guy

Postby onions » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:50 pm

fredjh wrote:

a few reasons:

if Microjow's post is to be believed, and it certainly sounds plausible to me, target and walmart didn't even place an order until after the production run.

lego has to produce enough to meet demand. and the only way they know how much to produce is to take orders from retailers. if retailers order x amount, then they'll only make x amount.

also, they had no idea how successful these things were going to be. and it wasn't until series 1 and 2 were in the can before they had a chance to adjust their numbers for series 3. by then more retailers most likely hopped on board the money train.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby that guy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:12 pm

onions wrote:
fredjh wrote:

a few reasons:

if Microjow's post is to be believed, and it certainly sounds plausible to me, target and walmart didn't even place an order until after the production run.

lego has to produce enough to meet demand. and the only way they know how much to produce is to take orders from retailers. if retailers order x amount, then they'll only make x amount.

also, they had no idea how successful these things were going to be. and it wasn't until series 1 and 2 were in the can before they had a chance to adjust their numbers for series 3. by then more retailers most likely hopped on board the money train.

...and correct me if I'm wrong Onions but by several accounts Lego intentionally shorted their own stores and several large distributors (EE, Diamond, and several others) in order to accommodate Wal-Mart and Target getting a limited supply of them. No doubt they got some rather 'verbal' requests from both chains to jump on the bus and did this as a 'favor' for these chains in hopes of getting even more business on future series and well of course because when Wal-Mart says jump, you not only jump but pay them for the privilege to do so. :facepalm:
that guy

Postby J30spiff » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:22 pm

I went to the Target closest to my house for some family shopping and discovered they had put out 2 new cases of Series 2 minifigs. This particular Target sold out within 3 days of putting their initial figures out, before Target began the $2.99 mark-up. Has anyone else seen this? I was under the impression that each Target store was only getting 2 cases.
J30spiff

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 pm

It's not an isolated case... The one near me had a single box when they first came out, then got 2 additional fresh boxes last week.

m19
Morgan19

Postby mikado » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:37 pm

i was in shock today went to my local target for iron man and happened to see 2 more new (well picked over) boxes of series 2 near chattanooga
mikado

Postby Bricks McBlock » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:58 pm

Went into my local Warehouse store in NZ and found a box of series 2 minifigs and there was about 5 packs left. However they had been cut open and were empty, the nerve of some people.
We came here to Block!
Bricks McBlock

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes