Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What would you like in future mini-figure series

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: What would you like in mini-figure series 3?

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:56 am

Hmmm, these lot don't excite me the way the last to series did. Perhaps some cases of too many similarities already? That said, the gorilla is the best minifigure yet.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Solo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I completely did not expect to see a man in a gorilla suit.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby MicroJow » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm hoping these are, as stamped, preliminary because it looks like the snowboarder's head is a re-use of the cheerleader's.

I also hope the baseball player does not have a name or number stamped on his back and that the gorilla comes with an alternate head to show that it's a person in a suit.

On the whole, I think these are on par with the first two series. Sure, there are some "meh" ones in there, but on the whole, they're pretty good!

- J
MicroJow

Postby SonOfSolo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:05 pm

The samurai warrior looks like a Mongolian or Genghis Khan.
SonOfSolo

Postby Marty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:00 am

First of all, thank you very much for posting these pictures, now from what I can see here there are some figures that are very interesting. Is it just me or is that gorilla's head a bit wonky?
Either way, I'm thinking what a great idea, for a planet of the apes theme?
The Elf, is this not a great way of getting spock, could be wrong, apart from these the idea of the an extra mummy always comes in handy considering there already has been an explorer, and pharos, it all seems to connect, as too the monsters, first the vampire, now the mummy what next the werewolf?
There are heaps of possible ways to continue the figures, but I guess Lego has it's own ideas on how these are to proceed.
Marty

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:08 am

Marty wrote:The Elf, is this not a great way of getting spock?

Not particularly if, as I assume, the ears are part of the hairpiece. The hairpiece, even if you painted it black, would not look like Spock's hair.
Mister Ed

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 am

Looking at those pictures, I have way more interest in series 3 than in series 2 personally...
Daz Hoo

Postby legomatt » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:04 am

Wow... i'm seriously underwhelmed. However, to be fair i did feel luke warm about series 2 aswell and only upon seeing them up close ended up loving them all, as much as if not more so than series 1. So maybe (hopefully) the same will happen here, and i will love these too, but i can't help but feel some of these are very ugly looking minis, like a child has mixed up lots of elements at random. The cyborg (?) and alien are extremely disappointing.

There was also a lovely colour balance across series 2 when placed together that isn't present here, and the execution seems lacklustre - example: the sumo man should have a large yellow belly (done like how a breastplate piece works) - same with the Gorrilla costume, they could have used the same big belly-mould, but coloured it black & grey.

There's also a heavy slant towards sport in this set, tennis, baseball, snowboard, motor race, fishing (perhaps), sumo... this may be a good thing for some, and as much as i too like a few of them, i 'd happily have sacrificed one or two to increase the count of 'international' figures, like Canadian Mountie or British Royal Guard or British Bobby, (or whatever).

Anyway... exciting stuff as ever. Looking forward...
legomatt

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
Marty wrote:The Elf, is this not a great way of getting spock?

Not particularly if, as I assume, the ears are part of the hairpiece. The hairpiece, even if you painted it black, would not look like Spock's hair.

However, you could almost get away with painting the hairpiece black and the ears greenish and calling it Romulan hair.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Marty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:14 am

Okay, so series 3 leaves a lot to be desired, but like I have pointed out there are some good points mostly in terms of custom parts, one figure I completely overlooked was the cyborg figure (mainly due to the picture quality) interestingly I was curious about his leg, I reckon they should have used 2 peg legs rather than one or made a different version of this, either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can make with it.
Marty

Postby legomatt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:27 am

Totally agree with you Marty, i think my initial post came across a bit negative, and i forgot to mention what I liked.

I really hope these are concept photos though, and the actual product will have some refinements.

I like the Hula girl a lot (except Hula girls have Yukeleles (spelling) not shakers, details like that really count on such a small product). The mummy, samurai, flying ace, F1 driver, tennis & baseball players are my faves. But i'd like that little attention to detail to be applied, the sumo and gorilla would be fantastic with belly-moulds, and as somebody mentioned the samurai is missing his helmet decoration to clip on the front. The set is so close to being great, but just falls down due to these little details. Hopefully they're being added as we speak.

The cyborg though, for me, is a major mess which lets the set down badly. It's so early in the series that there should have been tons of things better to do.
legomatt

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:35 am

I wonder when we will see the first "gorilla man meets Empire State Building" scenes.
Adding some bi-planes at that scale could be tricky though.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby kibosh » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 am

Love the Elf. They will be a welcomed addition to my castle realm. The gorilla is cool too, and I like the baseball player. The sumo guy? Eh. Most of the others have potential, though I'm not thrilled with the space guys. I love these figs for fleshing out my town display. My kid will love them though.
Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com.
kibosh

Postby Draykov » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:42 pm

kibosh wrote:...I'm not thrilled with the space guys.

Could be wishful thinking on my part, but I'll wager the final versions will be significantly cooler. The ones in the image wreaked of preliminary placeholder part usage.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby The Brain » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:33 pm

I too think that the space figs in this set will be improved by the end. On the plus side if they aren't improved upon, though, I believe that pirate/cyborg guy had a trans-yellow visor, and both he and the alien introduce two new "shoto-length" lightsaber bars to the collection, in red and purple! That has me excited.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby onions » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 pm

that gorilla .... kinda sucks.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:04 am

It's supposed to be a man in a gorilla costume (I was told), which I think works great for what it is.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Isaac5 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:52 pm

since those pics were deleted

i never got to see the other pics, were they the same?
Isaac5

Postby The Brain » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 pm

You realized they were deleted for a reason, right? Ace and the admins would not have taken them down unless explicitly asked by LEGO to do so. Though it's a nice gesture to bring a leaked image back for people who have not seen it already to view, I would suggest you take it down before there are negative repercussions for the site. If anyone really wants to see the leaks, I guarantee even a simple Google image search yields a bounty of images. Just a thought.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Isaac5 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 am

nope, it took my 45 minutes to find this, and those pics were deleted from Flickr(at least when i posted this)

AND THEY WERE POSTED BY ONIONS!
Isaac5

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes