Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

More Photos and Video of 2010 Sets

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Collectible Minifig Polybags - June 2010

Postby Chief » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:47 pm

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure this rumor about the separate minifig bits in a bag is total BS, unless something changed drastically in the last couple months.
Chief

Postby meeotch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 am

Chief wrote:Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure this rumor about the separate minifig bits in a bag is total BS, unless something changed drastically in the last couple months.

quoted
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Re: New minfig things!

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:48 am

Draykov wrote:
Solo wrote:Effin. Sweet.

"If this is a consular ship, WHERE is the ambassador?" Do you have any info, Don? Anything not posted in the Brickset article that is?

Nothing at all. I checked last night as soon as I saw this.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Chief wrote:Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure this rumor about the separate minifig bits in a bag is total BS, unless something changed drastically in the last couple months.

Man, I hope so. Because if the pricing is really like $3.50 each for one minifg, I BETTER get a whole, consistent minifig. Frankly, for that price, I SHOULD know exactly WHAT minifig I'm getting, IMHO. (Yeah, yeah, I know minifigs go for a lot more than that on the secondary market, AND that these all look like they contain SOME kind of new molds. I'm only speaking for myself here. $3.50 for a single minifig when you don't even know if you actually WANT the minifig in the package seems a bit steep to me.)
Mister Ed

Re: Collectible Minifig Polybags - June 2010 [RUMORS]

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Title updated.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby irmasturcheeflol » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Ever seen a DUNNY Mister Ed, those are about $9 and you don't know what your getting it's not a new concept. Also It looks like they might only be sold at LEGOLAND, anyone else think that.
Series 1: Cowboy, Indian, Clown, Diver, Spaceman, Zombie, Robot, Forestman, Skater.
irmasturcheeflol

Postby Jargon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:11 pm

irmasturcheeflol wrote:Ever seen a DUNNY Mister Ed, those are about $9 and you don't know what your getting it's not a new concept.

I don't think that his point was that it was new, he was rather stating his dissatisfaction with it.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby meeotch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:29 pm

But I think on the flipside what he (she? sorry irmasturcheeflol) is contrasting it with is the fact that it is a marketable idea to sell collectables this way. The original rumor (as posted, though still unsubstantiated) was about something akin to a CCG. So while Mister Ed may be dissatisfied, that just means he isn't the target audience.
meeotch

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Correct. I hadn't seen a Dunny until I just did a search, and having seen them, I would never spend $9 on one, even if I knew what I was getting. ;)

I'm aware that all manner of collectibles have been sold in blind packaging, with all manner of pricing and distribution schemes. I've even bought some of the more traditional types (i.e. cards). I'm just saying, I'm not used to thinking of LEGO minifigs (or really any kind of figure designed for PLAY) in that way, and can't imagine myself being happy about paying that pricing without even knowing if I want it, since I wouldn't be looking at it in terms of collectible or trade value, but rather PLAY value.

But certainly LEGO isn't remotely obligated to cater to my preferences in the matter.
Mister Ed

Postby meeotch » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm

In all honesty, while it's fun to speculate on this, I think I'll just defer to Chief and his thoughts that it just might not even be blind packaging.
meeotch

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:38 pm

That would be great, since I definitely want some of these. Heck, I want enough of them that I'd probably still buy some if they were blind packaged, as long as it was a complete figure in each, not some stupid random assortment of parts.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 pm

i for one hope they go with blind packaging. there's a thrill with every opening that you can't get when you know what's inside already.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:10 pm

I suppose. That thrill can quickly morph to dread or resignation after you get your fifth Emo Kid while looking for a Caveman. I personally think I'd be excited enough to buy many of these figs intentionally that I wouldn't miss the extra "thrill" of not knowing what I was paying for. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby bigkid24 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Blind packaging doesn't seem to be very popular in the US. It seems like most of the stuff in Japan that gets released as blind packaging gets a non-blind treatment when they get released in the US.

But I think these could be very popular even in blind packaging.
bigkid24

Postby Jabba the Taff » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:17 pm

I'll like blind polys for half the time; basically until I've nearly got all the ones I want, and then I''ll just get frustrated and annoyed.

From a business point of view though, it's an excellent one from Lego. Particularly if they can create some sort of a craze amongst kids. I used to spend £££££ on Garbage Pail Kids stickers attempting to collect em all!
Jabba the Taff

Postby Draykov » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Some more detailed shots of these little guys in this Brickjournal article.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:27 pm

I sure hope they don't come with the "posed" legs and arms like in those pictures. I would want these to be standard and usable with regular LEGO, otherwise I'm not interested at all.

Anybody else think these might be tied to the LEGO Universe on-line thing? Maybe have codes that let you unlock the figs you get in the game? The timing seems kind of fortuitous, anyway.
Last edited by Draykov on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged posts
Mister Ed

Postby Draykov » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:19 pm

Yeah, if this pans out to be some Universe cross-promo with virtual or Happy Mealesque figures, then it's super lame. I'm inclined to believe, however, that these will be real figs in spite of the stylized/pose art. If I can score a genuine minifig astronaut with the CS logo, I am very happy.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:47 pm

'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the figs will be real minifigs and that what you see on the package is just stylized CG art in the style of the LEGO video game cover art.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Draykov wrote:Yeah, if this pans out to be some Universe cross-promo with virtual or Happy Mealesque figures, then it's super lame. I'm inclined to believe, however, that these will be real figs in spite of the stylized/pose art.

I would agree. And I don't think they are virtual or "Happy Mealesque", I just thought that maybe they might be tied in with LEGO Universe somehow. Like you get an actual fig, but you also get a code that lets you unlock said fig in the game (or other items). Wouldn't matter much to me, I guess, since I don't have a fast enough connection to play those sorts of things, nor the time to play to make something that required a monthly subscription fee worth it.
Mister Ed

PreviousNext

Return to Original Themes