Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] Castle: Kingdoms

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

[NEW STUFF] Castle: Kingdoms

Postby RocketClone » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:41 am

New castle pics have surfaced... but it's not the usual crowneys, skelleys, trolls this time! :)

Draykov wrote:Looks like there are plans to release battle packs of the opposing factions in the upcoming "Kingdoms" line:

Credit to Hun over at Eurobricks for the find.
Last edited by Solo on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: thread cleaning, image fixing, the works...
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Re: [NEW STUFF] Lego Kingdoms

Postby meeotch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Just a friendly tip, your code for the links should look like this:

Code: Select all
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gerjan/Oberhausen/011.jpg[/url]

These parts you have included are extraneous:

[url]--->[/url]<---- http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gerjan/Oberhausen/011.jpg---->[url]<----[/url]

But the best thing of all is, you don't have to put the

[url][/url]

bits because the website will know automatically that it's a link. You really only need to use those tags if you're trying to have a certain word be a link to an address.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Re: [NEW STUFF] Castle: Kingdoms

Postby Crusader » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 pm

The great helms look er...great. However the return to rival human factions over fantasy seems to be a step in the wrong direction. Kids like spaceships with lasers over real world space shuttles and rockets. Similarly they like fantasy settings for their knights to play in not more historical settings. Basing sets on what AFOLS are clamoring for seems unwise in this case.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Don't quote me on this, as I don't recall where I might have read this, but I think I remember reading that LEGO's market studies said the exact opposite, i.e. that kids were more interested in more conventional Castle sets.
Daz Hoo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:58 pm

I don't think kids really care either way....

When I was growing up I loved all the castle sets with opposing factions. I don't think replacing a loch ness monster with some dark knights is gonna make kids say no to this.

They actually look pretty cool.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Crusader » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 am

As one who grew up before there were even factions, aka the yellow castle era, it could very well be that kids would like these knights more than fantasy stuff. I'm sure Lego tests markets the heck out of these things, so they are probably right and I'm probably wrong. Lego does seem to have trouble selling just bad guy sets (with the exception of Star Wars sets) to little kids. For instance, I heard that the good guy Exo-Force sets way outsold the bad robot sets. Similarly I know with my boys, that while they think the skeletons and trolls are cool bad huys, they are much more interested in playing with the knights.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby fredjh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 am

Huh. I only started buying the Castle stuff for Fantasy Era, and I never really liked the Skeletons myself. They were OK to show like bodies in a crypt or something... but I did like the trolls and orcs (I refuse to call them giant trolls and little trolls), and like having a number of them.

Then again, I'm 43.
fredjh

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:37 am

I honestly like both approaches. The Fantasy era coupled with some of the newer Star Wars sets really got me back into LEGO. On the other hand, I loved the older sets that had multiple human factions. So, now I have a huge army of Orcs (100+) and a huge army of skeletons (also 100+) and a huge army of Crownies (you guessed it, 100+) to fight them. What I need personally (yes, I am well aware that my needs aren't representitive of the total overall needs of everyone) is more factions and this line gives me two new ones instead of one new one and one hold over. Would I like one hold over faction if it gave us a greater variety of figures for that faction, probably. The downside is that it would almost certainly be the Crownies who already have a decent variety. I plan on getting several of the Dragon Army battle packs and a couple of the Lion Army packs.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby Draykov » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

New review with some detailed pics over at Eurobricks by Metalandi for 30061 Attack Wagon.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby SWATminifigGUY » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:41 am

I, for one, am stoked about new non-skellie/troll/crownie factions. Also, I can detect a hint of Lego peacefullness as so far there appear to be no "Bad Guys", just rival factions.
SWATminifigGUY

Postby Draykov » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 am

I suppose it's open to interpretation, but I get the impression that the dragon dudes are a bit dodgy and the lion dudes are all noble and junk. The factions aren't as generic as the old days, but it's a step in the right direction. I like the notion of encouraging kids to come up with their own scenarios re: who is good/bad (though I'm not opposed to a really good (i.e. well executed) bad guy, like the Ogle Wizard or a troll).
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby DemoGoblin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 am

I slowed collecting in the mid 90's because they went to the one faction of royal knights, then the fright knights came along and killed my lego collecting need.

I agree two factions with none obviously evil is just what the castle sets needed, hey lets let our kids use imagination isnt that what lego is all about? Nothing wrong with us older kids using some imagination too. Keeps you young.

Sorry Starwars I have a new love again, it sad it took 15 years to come around again but welcome back!
DemoGoblin

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:53 pm

I'd just be perfectly content if they'd stick to making castle out of light and dark grey, instead of including so much black and other worthless castle colors. I don't mind color accents, but I certainly don't need everything castle to look like it failed out of a Batman look-a-like contest.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Image
Solo

Postby Crusader » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 am

I remember as a kid loving the old yellow castle, but at the same time wishing they had made it grey.
Crusader

Postby fredjh » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 am

No yellow (except as an accent color for some faction, perhaps).

The castle theme being one of the larger attractions for people building MOCs, I would have liked LEGO to sell gray brick packs. $0.15 for a gray 1x2 is ridiculous when you have to buy 2000 (let alone 3000 or 10000) of them.

This is one of the many cases where PAB online beats bricklink, where the cheapest NEW pieces in bulk volumes (more than 500) are twice as much as PAB (well, I limit to North America in my searches, YMMV).

So... I'd love to see "castle packs" of bricks. Of course, there's a lot of things I'd like LEGO to do. :)

One discussion on Eurobricks throws out the idea of modular castles with "theme" packs for different factions. I like that idea a lot. I built a modular wall for a walled city (based on the community build model)... only 16 studs wide, only about 85 pieces total, and LDD told me it would be over $35.00. :lol:

I'm running with the modular idea in "midi" scale (I guess that's an appropriate name for it) using the microfigs from Minotaurus, and I like how it's turning out.

BTW, I love those microfigures... I wish LEGO sold them separately. Yes, I know they're not pose-able and can't carry weapons, but it's better than a round 1x1 to "represent" the little guys that would be there. Can't wait to get my order from BL to have some unified colors so I can take pics and show it off. I think I may be able to convince a few naysayers of the beauty of the microfigures.
fredjh

Postby Draykov » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:45 am

Photo review of 7650 Knight's Showdown by CopMike over at Eurobricks.

Edit: 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue review
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby darthsantkuyl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 am

I love that there isn't a border on these new shields the seem larger that way. Finally a theme with 2 human factions. much more classic castle and more realistic i give it a yeah!
I lost my glasses and all I got was this lousy Megablok
darthsantkuyl

Postby Draykov » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks to anakinskywalker4 for posting this in the SW forum in a different context. Looks like we'll be getting some new Castle stuff next year:

6918 Blacksmith Attack
7187 Escape from Dragon's Prison
7188 King's Carriage Ambush
7189 Mill Village Raid
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Robzula » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:28 am

Sweet, civilian sets!
Robzula
Staff Writer

Next