Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Any Train News?

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Any Train News?

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:48 pm

I would love for some more American looking trains to come out. I'm wanting to do a LEGO train around the ceiling in child 2.0's room(if it's a boy) and I'm just not digging either of the sets currently available. Although I really do like the Emerald night and I guess it wouldn't cost that much to motorize it and add some more cars. Maybe I'll start with the cargo train and build my own engine for it.

It's an 11'x14' room... why does the track have to be so darn expensive? :shock:
MisterFubar

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 am

Daz Hoo wrote:He also said that the new motor his quite powerful, more so than the old 9 volts version, and that the train can run continuously for four straight hours with 6 good batteries.

Regarding that statement, Philo, who's known in the Technic and NXT community for testing and comparing all kind of LEGO stuff, just tested and compared the three LEGO train motors (9 volts, RC and PF):

http://www.philohome.com/ttrain/ttrain.htm

It would seem that my friend wasn't kidding. The PF train motor does seem to perform better than the 9 volts or the RC motor.
Daz Hoo

Postby Inzane » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for posting that link.

It would appear that the RC version was actually a big step backwards compared to the 9V, and obviously a failure given its relative short time on the market.

As nice as the PF seems, I would still prefer if TLG could produce more 9V track for those of us already invested in the old system.
Inzane

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 am

A couple of years back, just when LEGO had announced that they would no longer produce the 9V tracks, Steve Witt visited us in Quebec and, when we asked him why LEGO had taken this decision, his answer was that the machine which was responsible for laying down the metal on the track pieces was getting really old and needed to be replaced. After doing a cost analysis, LEGO decided not to replace the machine because train sales just didn't justify the investment.

Those of us who have invested in the 9V system may not like that decision, but that explanation does make sense (at least if you look at it from a business point of view).
Daz Hoo

Postby Inzane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:51 am

Daz Hoo wrote:... just tested and compared the three LEGO train motors (9 volts, RC and PF):

http://www.philohome.com/ttrain/ttrain.htm

The PF train motor does seem to perform better than the 9 volts or the RC motor.

This probably isn't news to most of you but I did a little digging and it seems that this new PF train motor (the one with the orange axle holes) is so far ONLY available in the two current train "sets" (passenger and cargo). The standalone motor that Shop@Home is selling is still the inferior RC train motor.

The avid savy fan would know this. But the casual lego buyer out there may be buying that train motor (from either the S@H site or a lego brand store) thinking they're getting the new great motor, when actually they're not.

Maybe TLG should start blowing those old RC motors out at a discount, so they can start offering the new improved one.
Inzane

Postby Draykov » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Inzane wrote:The standalone motor that Shop@Home is selling is still the inferior RC train motor.

You're referring to 8866? I probably could've figured that out, but given the limited availability of the "good" motor, it's worth pointing out. Thanks, Zaney.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Inzane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Correct. 8866 is NOT the new PF motor.
Inzane

Previous

Return to Original Themes