Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Power Miners

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Power Miners

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm not surprised at all by it since this whole line is an obvious reimagining of the Rock Raiders.

Also, I heart my Boulder Blaster. Pics and possibly a review to follow.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Marty » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:49 pm

I'm sorry to say this, but this theme is not that great! Rock raiders at least had a story behind it, not to mention a great trailer!
Why couldn't Lego have just expanded the Rockraiders theme, afterall it was proven ground and from what I seen of the game where more models to make, not to mention the Ice & Lava monsters. Perhaps a theme based on these would have been heaps better than what was given with these sets.

As stated in a previous thread a mine shaft would have at least been something to look at, colours more along the lines of a gritty theme would have helped, perhaps a function where a cave face could be exploded using something like the one used in the studios sets.
Honestly it's not rocket science, all they had to do is look at the game, it had a lot of potential, but alas Lego took the lame approach.
I only hope they sell theses, because as it stands, Rockraiders compared to these was bloody brilliant! My two cents, Marty
Marty

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

The color scheme of the new Power Miners is cool, and the rock monsters are obviously a big selling point, especially for the kiddies. However, I also think the Power Miners line is kinda lame 'cause they all look more like Tonka trucks than LEGO sets. I like mine to look like LEGO!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Has anybody picked up the Crystal Sweeper yet? If so, any thoughts on the build? With a $70.00 U.S. price tag and only 474 pieces, it seems a bit inflated. I really like them, but if I had one issue with the Power Miner sets, it's that they turn out to be a lot smaller than I expected. The boxes are a lot bigger than they need to be and the blown up box art gives the impression of a much larger set than what they are in reality.

Again, not really a complaint, just wondering what anyone who has the Crystal Sweeper thinks of the set. Does it "feel" like a $70 set? For example, Jabba's Sail Barge was a $75 set, 781 pieces, a fairly decent size, included a variety of mini-figs, a skiff and Sarlacc pit. Since the Sweeper is the bulk of the set, is it really "70 dollar" big?
UOldPirate

Postby Robo-Knight » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 am

UOldPirate wrote:Has anybody picked up the Crystal Sweeper yet? If so, any thoughts on the build? With a $70.00 U.S. price tag and only 474 pieces, it seems a bit inflated. I really like them, but if I had one issue with the Power Miner sets, it's that they turn out to be a lot smaller than I expected. The boxes are a lot bigger than they need to be and the blown up box art gives the impression of a much larger set than what they are in reality.

Again, not really a complaint, just wondering what anyone who has the Crystal Sweeper thinks of the set. Does it "feel" like a $70 set? For example, Jabba's Sail Barge was a $75 set, 781 pieces, a fairly decent size, included a variety of mini-figs, a skiff and Sarlacc pit. Since the Sweeper is the bulk of the set, is it really "70 dollar" big?

Lets just put it this way, if you wanted more parts for less, buy 8 Mine Mech sets. But the Crystal Sweeper has it's fair share of good parts as well. It comes with a white window that's normaly found on boat sets. The rubber tank treads are a nice addition as well. It even comes with an orange motor cycle and not to mention all of the lime green parts as well. As someone who has both the Crystal Sweeper and 8 Mine Mech sets, (I hope to pick up my 9th Mine Mech tommorrow), get one or the other depending on what parts you need.
Robo-Knight

Postby UOldPirate » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Robo-Knight wrote:Lets just put it this way, if you wanted more parts for less, buy 8 Mine Mech sets. But the Crystal Sweeper has it's fair share of good parts as well. It comes with a white window that's normaly found on boat sets. The rubber tank treads are a nice addition as well. It even comes with an orange motor cycle and not to mention all of the lime green parts as well. As someone who has both the Crystal Sweeper and 8 Mine Mech sets, (I hope to pick up my 9th Mine Mech tommorrow), get one or the other depending on what parts you need.

Thanks for the info. It does have a pretty good selection of parts and probably worth picking up. Since I've yet to see the set in any local TRU's or Walmarts, my main concern was the perceived build size vs. actual build size. However, since there is another entire thread devoted to oversized boxes, I'll assume that the Sweeper is no different. Plus, it can be combined with the Claw Digger to make the Crystal Crawler which looks to be the best of the 3 alternate sets.
UOldPirate

Postby Chief » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:04 am

I love this line. I don't think I'd ever be able to buy the biggest sets at full price though: it's just not worth it, for the piece count.

Boulder blaster is probably the next set I'll buy.
Chief

Postby Joedward » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 am

I also love this line, but I don't know whether or not to wait for these to go on sale before I buy the rest of the ones I want. One of the sets is already showing as sold out, and I don't want to miss out on some great sets.
Claw Digger and Thunder Driller look fantastic. I really want those next.
Crystal Sweeper and Boulder Blaster don't interest me nearly as much. Might think about getting them if I see them for very cheap.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Previous

Return to Original Themes