Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Power Miners

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Power Miners

Postby kbjork » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Just got my kids their first Power Miners set. I have to say, I love the little rock monster. Anyone else get any of these? Wondering if anyone has thoughts on the best sets. I just got the 8957 (Mine Mech). Which set should I get next?
kbjork

Re: Power Miners

Postby Iare Tosevite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:11 pm

I got three smaller sets just so I can have red, green, and blue rock monsters. :D

I agree that the rock monsters are amazing in that set.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Classicsmiley » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:52 pm

I picked up the smallest couple of sets before Christmas, and once I saw the rock monsters (and showed them to my wife), I decided that I needed to get the third-smallest as well. We took the rock monsters out, and used them as stocking stuffers for our three boys. The boys absolutely love them, and I really like some of the pieces. I'm looking forward to the summer sets, and to the bigger monsters... :)
Classicsmiley

Postby Solo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:01 pm

I saw the instruction book for a TRU Exclusive one when I was down in LA for that LUG meeting, and I still haven't tracked it down yet. The little monsters look great though and I really want that set.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Green Brick Giant » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't have any of them, but they look pretty good.

The Thunder Driller is my favorite. I saw it at Target. the set seems a little small, but the fact the wheels make the drill move is just awesome. :)
"It seems that the more (idiotic, foolish, childish, moronic )passionate members of our community are getting a little upset and impatient to say the least."
Green Brick Giant

Postby kbjork » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 pm

I am so glad other people like them. I think I'll try to pick up the Thunder Driller. Of course, TRU has the Power Miner sets on sale for 25% off 'til tomorrow. I may pick some up on sale.
kbjork

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:43 pm

I've picked up 5 of the 7 so far and really like them. The Granite Grinder is probably my favorite, but they're all decent just because it's something new and different. That lime green is a huge contrast to all the SW grey/bley. It's good to see them selling well. There are usually 4 sets in the S@H top 25 and the local stores have been pretty picked over. I got the last Boulder Blaster at the local TRU and usually the limited edition stuff is available months after others start reporting sell outs.
UOldPirate

Postby lordvader208 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:43 pm

I agree with UOldPirate because the granite grinder is my favorite as well. I think the reason why I want to get the Granite Grinder is to get that rock monster. There are also many unique pieces from Power Miners, such as the dynamite piece, roll-over bar (if u want to call it that) and drills. I'll reserve judgment until I pick one up.
lordvader208

Postby Solo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Well, my local TRUs don't have the exclusive Boulder Blaster I want, so I ordered it online. But, right now it's on sale for a sweet price, so even after shipping it's cheaper than retail. (Though, if it was in the store right now, it should in theory have been on sale too)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby EwokWarrior » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm not too sure about the new sets, but my brother like them. They just look a little.. awkward :S . I'll probably end up buying one, though. I do agree that the monsters themselves look awesome!
Who am I? I am the galaxy's top Ewok warrior. That is all anyone needs to know.
Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=EwokWarrior
EwokWarrior

Postby Draykov » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:07 pm

If you only get one, try the Thunder Driller. It's got a great shape...like a little, lime-colored pig that eats rocks. Or something...
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Chaotic Good » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:42 pm

I can't believe that no-one seems to have pointed out the fact that both the old Rock Raiders line and Power Miners both have a set called the Granite Grinder! Coincidence? I think not, LEGO... ;)

Anyway, I'd say I like the Miners themselves. The double-sided facial expressions are fantastic, and, the best thing is, some of the good ones don't have comm-pieces in the face design, so they can be used for anything. Perfect!
The clocks were striking thirteen..
Flickr
Chaotic Good

Postby Draykov » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Chaotic Good wrote:I can't believe that no-one seems to have pointed out the fact that both the old Rock Raiders line and Power Miners both have a set called the Granite Grinder!

Oh, I've seen that pointed out somewhere...must've been the old forum or Eurobricks, but I don't think it's a secret. ;)

I'm pretty sure this is the first line to have a fig with a metal plate in his head. Explosives "expert"? I have my doubts.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Crusader » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:15 am

My sons got the smallest motorcyle-like set and the $10 set for Christmas. The two little vehicles are both quite nice, especially the little motorcycle--it flies on the carpet. My boys are crazy about the Rock Monsters. They want to get more sets just for the monsters. I may have to resort to Bricklink so I don't have to buy the entire line just for a few little monsters.

My concern for the theme is that the story seems a little thin. Whereas themes like Exo-Force and our own beloved Star Wars have a direct conflict based idea, the machines in these sets don't seem to be designed to directly fight the monsters.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Draykov » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Well, I think LEGO leaving things open-ended is a good thing. But, there seems to be enough of a conflict built into the theme if not an actual story, which is pretty much the standard LEGO play theme formula:

Power Miners: Blue helmeted dudes want colored rocks (Why? Fish tanks...who cares, not important). Rock monsters pretty much already have colored rocks in their "backyard"...they like to eat them. Conflict ensues.

Space Police III: Bad guys want gold (Why? It's gold. Duh.) Cops got the gold (Why? Because "The Man" makes sure his pigs' trough is full. It's not important). Conflict ensues.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Darth Caedus » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:40 pm

I really enjoyed Rock Raiders more than this, I preferred the design and coloring of those sets. Power Miners is just too garish for me.
Darth Caedus

Postby Azaghal » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Draykov wrote:I'm pretty sure this is the first line to have a fig with a metal plate in his head. Explosives "expert"? I have my doubts.

Hey, that's a pretty neat head - I'd not seen that before. Probably only in the biggest sets, though . . . to Bricklink! :D
Azaghal

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:29 pm

If I'm not mistaken, ol' chrome-dome shows up in both 8961 Crystal Sweeper and 8707 Boulder Blaster ($26.99).
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Yoda 56 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:43 am

The Granite Grinder is a nice set for the price ($9.99). :D You get a miner, a rock monster, a dynamite and a blue crystal.
For the Republic!
Yoda 56

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm surprised they can rename sets after old ones. Rock Raiders had the Granite Grinder.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Next

Return to Original Themes