Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] Power Miners

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: New Power Miners Rock Monsters ?

Postby jedi_master_sal » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 am

Thanks for the welcome Draykov.

I only wish I were into LEGO more. I used to collect SW LEGO but it got to be expensive between that, Hasbro SW stuff, and several other non-SW related lines I collected. Something had to give. I gave up some of the other lines, then ultimately had to give up SW LEGO. Though I do pick up the occasional set from time to time. (For instance I did buy both the Hoth Rebel and Snowtrooper army building sets.)

I got into Power Miners because of my nephew. He opened them up in front of me and I immediately knew I wanted them. Lime green blocks! Who'd have thunk it. I come from the old school of red, blue, yellow, and black blocks only back in the early 80s. I was big into the City and Castle series back then.

I did a little research on the Power Miners series and found I was getting in close to the beginning of the line so I would be able to catch up fairly quickly. While I don't have them all just yet, I'm certain I'll be able to obtain most of them. I'm just concerned about getting the Cave Crusher and Boulder Blaster sets, since they were both exclusive. They are going for more than I'd like to pay for them on eBay, so I might have to deal with never owning them.

Anyway, I've checked out this site from time to time. Thought I might as well join since I"m slowly getting back in LEGO even if it's not the main licensed line.

As far as Power MIners going molten or lava, again I'm all for it. In fact I'd like to see an ice theme or two. I know there is a blue crystal monster out there already, but LEGO could think up something else.
jedi_master_sal

Postby Draykov » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:22 pm

jedi_master_sal wrote:I only wish I were into LEGO more...Something had to give...Though I do pick up the occasional set from time to time...He opened them up in front of me and I immediately knew I wanted them. Lime green blocks! Who'd have thunk it. I come from the old school of red, blue, yellow, and black blocks only back in the early 80s...
I did a little research on the Power Miners series...While I don't have them all just yet, I'm certain I'll be able to obtain most of them...Anyway, I've checked out this site from time to time... Thought I might as well join since I"m slowly getting back in LEGO even if it's not the main licensed line.

Mwaa-ha-ha-ha! Our diabolical plan to pull you out of your Dark Ages is all but complete!

Seriously, dude, it sounds like you're one awesome new set from giving up all of your other hobbies and coming back into the LEGO fold. I've seen it before (been through it myself, in fact). :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

i was in the same boat for awhile doing the lego thing and hasbro thing but gave up on hasbro cause a) their distribution was crappy b) their case allotments were crappy and c) the quality was crappy. i'm still giving a galactic heroes a go though. too bad they took it away from playskool as playskool incorporated some really nice features.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby jedi_master_sal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:27 am

I don't think I'll ever be quite there Dray. I'm too much into the Hasbro figures. I've had plans drawn up for several years now for massive dioramas to put much of those things in. So I couldn't totally abandon that line. Though, certainly if I had the money, I'd go crazy with LEGO. When I bought the Snowtrooper set, I imagined what it would be like to have a huge Hoth diorama with several dozen Snowtroopers and 5 AT-AT battling the Rebels. A Rebel yells out, "Those bricks are too strong for customizers!" Okay, I'll go back on my meds now, lol.
jedi_master_sal

Postby UOldPirate » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm

Sal, the Boulder Blaster is back up on shop.lego.com as of 01/19/10 with a sale price of $19.98. It is currently listed as Sold Out, which could mean that they had a few more, put the listing back up and they sold out again. Or... it could mean that they have some more and they will be selling them off in the future. If you really want a Boulder Blaster at a decent price, I would check the listing often to see what happens.
UOldPirate

Postby jedi_master_sal » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:46 pm

UOldPirate wrote:Sal, the Boulder Blaster is back up on shop.lego.com as of 01/19/10 with a sale price of $19.98. It is currently listed as Sold Out, which could mean that they had a few more, put the listing back up and they sold out again. Or... it could mean that they have some more and they will be selling them off in the future. If you really want a Boulder Blaster at a decent price, I would check the listing often to see what happens.

Well sonofa...That's cool thanks, but I ended up buying this off of eBay. Not too much over retail. Though I would have loved to have bought it for less than retail.

Huh, I even checked shop.lego previously and it wasn't listed when I looked. Ah well, it's all good. Thanks for thinking of me though.
jedi_master_sal

Postby Commander Aero » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 pm

I think the little ones are hideous, but I like the big one the orange looks better against more black, and he has a nice face and back.
Aero out.
Commander Aero

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Well, the deeper you mine, the hotter it gets.

I still like these. It's a neat idea for the second wave of PM sets to be dealing with hotter temperatures as they reach the core, and that the rock monsters would now be molten. Stylistically I think they look spiffy.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby jedi_master_sal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 am

GIR3691 wrote:Well, the deeper you mine, the hotter it gets.

I still like these. It's a neat idea for the second wave of PM sets to be dealing with hotter temperatures as they reach the core, and that the rock monsters would now be molten. Stylistically I think they look spiffy.

Ah a good explanation indeed! I'll go with that one too, lol.
jedi_master_sal

Postby jedi_master_sal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, I finally got my Cave Crusher. I must say this is my favorite PM vehicle set to date. I love the big old wheels and the interconnecting train like sections. The fact that it's fairly flat is in keeping with mines generally not being to tall in real life.

Great set and now I have a large Red Crystal monster to go with my collection!
Build time was quick, less than an hour and that was with me watching a TV program.

Besides the Red monster the set also comes with two minifigs. My collection of those guys are growing quickly.

I had to get this from eBay because I missed it in stores. It was a Target exclusive. Still after shipping, I only ended up paying $10 more than it retailed for originally. Not to bad considering it was an exclusive that no longer ships.

Here's the set:
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8708_Cave_Crusher

I'm also currently awaiting the Crystal Sweeper set I won from eBay. I'm hoping it shows up tonight at my PO box.

Once I receive that set, the only set I would need to complete my PM collection is the Titanium Command Rig. That's the largest of the PM sets to date and not one I'm likely to get from eBay for a price I'm willing to pay. Though I keep trying. It retails for $100 and I'm just not into paying that much for LEGOs anymore. So I'm hoping to get lucky at somewhere around half that price. But if I never get it, I won't be too disappointed. I have all the ones I really want right now and will definitely be getting all of the new sets for 2010.

Oh and I found this on the official site and thought it was funny, had to post it for your amusement.
http://powerminers.lego.com/en-us/Movie ... -burp.aspx

-Sal
jedi_master_sal

Postby onions » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:01 pm

jedi_master_sal, please post your reviews in the reviews forum. thanks.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby jedi_master_sal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:32 pm

onions wrote:jedi_master_sal, please post your reviews in the reviews forum. thanks.

Will do from now on. I didn't know if I had permission to post there since I'm new.

Thanks for moving my post over to there.

-Sal
jedi_master_sal

Postby Jargon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:26 pm

This is a bit of a stretch, but the LEGO Club released this video today featuring the new "lava monsters."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMN1RcpL-28
Ordinarily, I wouldn't really take note of such an inane video, but it just so happens that today is my birthday! I'm not sure whether to be flattered or offended! :D
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby enorazzi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 am

Does anyone know if sets 8190 & 8191 are going to be available in the US?
enorazzi

Re: [NEW STUFF] Power Miners

Postby Draykov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 am

For those of you playing at home, that's these two: ImageImage

I don't know that anyone outside of the company has the answer for sure, but I think it's just a distribution issue. These two along with a few other sets in other themes have showed up in Europe first...I believe they're due in North American in August.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby UOldPirate » Tue May 04, 2010 5:58 pm

The 8190 - Claw Catcher ($34.99) and 8191 - Lavatraz ($49.99) are now up on the TRU website. Both sets are currently listed as "out of stock", but hopefully this means that the US release of these sets is getting close. Here are the links to their respective product pages:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=4004250
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=4004248
UOldPirate

Postby UOldPirate » Mon May 10, 2010 1:09 pm

TRU.com now has both the Claw Catcher and Lavatraz sets In Stock and ready for order.
UOldPirate

Previous

Return to Original Themes