Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Future Blacktron

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Future Blacktron

Postby Robzula » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:55 pm

What's the story with Blacktron with SP3? Most everyone by now has seen the stickers with references to Blacktron on the new sets. So is Kranxx, Snake Twins, Snake, and Slizer's gang actually formed from former Blacktron members? Will Blacktron rise up again and combine the gang with their organization? Or are these references just fun little easter eggs for the old school AFOLs?

Personally, I'd love to see some more story in an unlicensed theme, and the rise of Blacktron would be pretty sweet.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Re: Future Blacktron

Postby bluemoose » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 am

Robzula wrote:just fun little easter eggs for the old school AFOLs

That's my interpretation; LEGO doesn't seem to want to do human baddies in their play themes at the moment, so I don't think we'll see old-school Blacktron in SP3 ... but I hope I'm wrong :-)

Ian
bluemoose

Postby Robzula » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:34 am

To my dismay, I'm thinking it might just be an easter egg too because I found a sticker on the Hyper Speed Pursuit set which was on display at Target that said "I (heart) Insectoids" or something along those lines.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Coret » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 pm

I had to find a thread to post this in after seeing it while looking at the Atlantis thread......

I got to love the redesign of the original Blacktron suit. That is probably one of my favorite suits and being redesigned for the new SPIII sets is just awesome. As well you will notice in the next photo over from it, the SP are getting the original Red Visors.
Coret

Postby Draykov » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Nice...I was so focused on the fact that it was a new colored alien head, I totally missed the Blacktron II style logo on the torso.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Coret » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Not only the Blacktron II symbol, but the original Blacktron design.

http://www.brickset.com/minifigs/?m=sp001

The Torso is just a slightly updated version of the original.
Coret

Postby Flynn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:53 pm

It looks fantastic, though I personally would've rather them using the Serpinski logo rather than the "B". Eh, that's just personal preference for me. Let's hope for more to come with this!
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Draykov » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Man...that didn't even register. It's a little busy compared to the original, so I missed that too. I agree, Flynn...I hated the old Blacktron II and M-Tron figs and would've preferred to see some Tri-Force action, but all in all, a very nice little homage to some old school space. I like this trend...I do indeed.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby liquidcross » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:11 am

Looks like he's got a skull belt buckle, too.
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby bluemoose » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:54 am

Yay :-)
bluemoose

Postby Draykov » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:54 pm

liquidcross wrote:Looks like he's got a skull belt buckle, too.

That could just be a stand-in legs assembly (i.e. not the final version of the fig)...or maybe he and Squidman's other buddies all shop at Hot Topic.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Robzula » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Does anyone know if these new sets are going to be called Blacktron III or just still be Space Police III with Blacktron baddies?
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby banthafodder » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 pm

I don't know much about blacktron, never got into it but has anyone else noticed that on the space truck the word blacktron is graffitied on the side?
banthafodder

Postby Robzula » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm

Robzula wrote: Most everyone by now has seen the stickers with references to Blacktron on the new sets.

Yes. Yes I have
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am

Robzula wrote:Does anyone know if these new sets are going to be called Blacktron III or just still be Space Police III with Blacktron baddies?

The only thing we've seen is an SPIII vehicle next to a "Blacktron III" alien. Given this and the fact that most LEGO themes these days include 2 conflicting factions in each set, I don't think there is any reason to think they'd suddenly start a wave of "Blacktron III." Besides, this new torso could very well be a one-shot homage that we don't see widely used across subsequent sets.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby meeotch » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:30 pm

I would actually have a problem with the current baddies in SPIII becoming the continuation of Blacktron. Both Blacktrons struck me os more of an organized crime syndicate, whereas these guys are just a ragtag group of thugs. It's hardly the same level of evil and doesn't befit the Blacktron legacy.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Robzula » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:34 pm

That's why it'd be cool if SP3 was an origin story kinda thing, like Blacktron started out as this gang and all of a sudden some guy came along and introduced an order to it. Or even if this series occurs after the downfall of Blacktron, and now they're just random gangs here and there without order and then a guy shows up and brings back the way of the old Blacktron would be cool too.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby RocketClone » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Wow one pic sure can make a difference.
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby Draykov » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Robzula wrote:That's why it'd be cool if SP3 was an origin story...

I don't think it's really necessary for TLG to go to great lengths to establish that kind of thing...I mean it's not like the Blacktron I/II lines even had a "story" affiliated with them at all. There was enough going on in the sets to plant suggestions (i.e. the companion sets were cops, so Blacktron must be bad somehow), but that was it. The rest was left up to the imaginations of the individual...SPIII need not be any different as far as I'm concerned. If you want to create a Blacktron/Space Police origin, build it...flesh it out yourself however you see fit...that's how Pre-Classic Space got started.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to Original Themes