Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Monster boardgame?

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Monster boardgame?

Postby bobalego » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:50 am

A poster over in flickr keeps mentioning the mini heads he used in his customs are from the "Monsters Boardgame." Despite several other people asking him with no reply I have searched ebay, bricklink, here etc for what he is talking about, I guess I missed something. They are not from the newest fantasy/castle sets:
Monster "Jedi"
bobalego

Re: Monster boardgame?

Postby Jabba the Taff » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:04 am

They're from Lego Games. The games are only available in Germany and the UK at the moment. Change your region on S@H to have a look at the photos.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:39 am

The game is called "Monster 4" and its set number is 3837. It's basically a variation of Tic-Tac-Toe on a 4x4 grid with various extras such as jokers and a spider.

http://shop.lego.com/product/Default.aspx?p=3837

The building instructions can be downloaded from the customer service page if you want a closer look. There is a second booklet with the gameplay instructions, but it seems they don't have those online.

There are five different heads - the white evil skeleton and green troll heads are the same as in the regular castle sets. The three new heads are a brown "zombie", a red "devil" and an orange "evil pumpkin". I myself have used the pumpkin to make a dark-side Ahsoka (as a joke). I'm not sure what use the zombie or devil could be put to as they look a bit too cartoonish.

EDIT: Missed the link to Flickr when I first read your post. His Darth Lycanus is using the brown head which I termed "zombie". I guess it could indeed be a mutant Chewie... Darth Infernus is the red "devil" head (it has horns). I think the pink tongue spoils it. Why would a Sith lord be blowing raspberries?
Gingerbeard Man

Postby bobalego » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Now I remember talk about this in an old thread. I think I would like a few of these games. Or at least the dice. LEGO craps might be fun...
bobalego

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:23 am

The brown head looks more like a wolfman head than a zombie. Are the heads set-quality plastic, or are they the cheaper kind?
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 am

GIR3691 wrote:The brown head looks more like a wolfman head than a zombie.

Agreed. Wolfman it is then. (I'm no monster expert ;) )

Are the heads set-quality plastic, or are they the cheaper kind?

I myself am unable to detect any difference in actual plastic "quality" with the new magnets or battle packs other than the slightly paler colours.

Going by their colour the troll heads in the game are the same as the regular set trolls, ie. slightly darker than the ones in the battle pack. So I would tentatively say they are set-quality.

Also the box says "Components made in DENMARK, HUNGARY and the CZECH REPUBLIC". Assuming the poorer quality is indeed linked to China as suggested by some then the games are not affected (at least not those sold in Germany so far).
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Marty » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 pm

While I like the idea of this, why isn't Australia given the chance to buy it?
Also, the idea of a haunted house / cludo version game is quite plausible given the universal monster characters.
It's just on a larger scale.
Marty

Postby Flynn » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:07 pm

I think they should do various existing games (like Clue) in LEGO. I know it's obscure, but 13 Dead End Drive would be awesome in LEGO.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Kevin Koala » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Oh I think thats awesome! Those head will do great customs (Espeacially the Ware-Wolf)! XD
Kevin Koala

Postby Jabba the Taff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 am

I'm pretty sure Lego said the games will be released to other countries later on. But I can't find the link at the moment.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Dalek Caan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 am

I'm sure I did read that or a similar article. Apparently the UK and Germany are more interested in the boardgame market then America?
Dalek Caan

Return to Original Themes