Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10190 Lego Market Street Retired ??

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

10190 Lego Market Street Retired ??

Postby lego-method » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:37 am

Hey All,

I'm a big fan of the Lego's Modular houses, I have the green grocer & 2 cafe corners sets....I've been anticipating when Lego MarketStreet would be available since it's been sold out for such a long time. Today, it seems it's not found on the site anymore under Lego/Factory or Lego/Exclusive Hard to Find....would I assume that this set is finally retired?? It's a real disappointment that they can still sell the green grocer & cafe corner and retire the market street. Is anyone out there bummed out like me? This factory set is such a outstanding design.

legomethod
lego-method

Re: 10190 Lego Market Street Retired ??

Postby onions » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 pm

not a big loss. market street sucked anyway. good riddance.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby sstoroe » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:07 pm

You can get this on Bricklink for about 160.00 I was also waiting for it to come back and I just ordered it. I picked it up for 145 about two weeks ago.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=10190
sstoroe

Postby rocksteady » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:31 pm

onions wrote:not a big loss. market street sucked anyway. good riddance.

I'm sure that comment helped *cough*....I personally think it's a great set. Good pieces too.
rocksteady

Postby Duckman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:32 pm

onions wrote:not a big loss. market street sucked anyway. good riddance.

:lol: Thats what I love about onions.... not afraid to voice his opinion. hmmm....still :lol: Anyhoo... I kind of agree with both comments on this one, the right half of Market St is awesome, but the left half really sux. Even though, I have still bought all the Modular sets, and will continue to (mainly for my son to have an enormous city in the 'lego room', but this unforunately is one that will definately be substantially modded, mainly to heavily upgrade the 'market', rather than a large empty baseplate with some doohicky infrastructure,... into an actual bustling market place. They should have put more effort into that section and charged more. But then again, maybe they were trying to get a lower price point to attract the 'less cashed up client.' Bah humbug.
Duckman

Postby Draykov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:25 pm

I believe 10190 disappeared from Shop@Home US within the past month or two.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:04 pm

if i had a 160 bucks and had a choice between getting the ugly market street, a first or second cafe corner, or a first or second or third green grocer, i'd be getting one of the other ones in a heartbeat. medieval market village is also leagues better than market street.

the problem for market street is that there is no unifying architectural design through the building. rather than look like an actual building from top to bottom, it looks like a mish mash of different design approaches all jammed into one. the rotating roof? why in god's name would they include a roof that rotates to other designs that are just as ugly?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Gumby » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 am

onions wrote:if i had a 160 bucks and had a choice between getting the ugly market street, a first or second cafe corner, or a first or second or third green grocer, i'd be getting one of the other ones in a heartbeat. medieval market village is also leagues better than market street.

the problem for market street is that there is no unifying architectural design through the building. rather than look like an actual building from top to bottom, it looks like a mish mash of different design approaches all jammed into one. the rotating roof? why in god's name would they include a roof that rotates to other designs that are just as ugly?

Yeah I've got a CC and GG too, but just couldn't make myself buy the Market Street for the reasons you state above. Design-wise, it was just disappointing, but I'm sure the parts themselves were great for building your own buildings.

I'll pretend I didn't see your first response in this thread (which doesn't set a great example for the younger members). :p
Gumby

Postby atbozzo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 am

If in the neighborhood, it might be worth checking out LEGO brand retail for 10190. I picked one up at King of Prussia, PA, in late May and they had quite a few in stock -- this was several weeks after S@H had been showing it as sold out. At $90, it's a decent parts pack if nothing else. At $160, not so much.
atbozzo

Postby Puddleglum » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am

onions wrote:if i had a 160 bucks and had a choice between getting the ugly market street, a first or second cafe corner, or a first or second or third green grocer, i'd be getting one of the other ones in a heartbeat. medieval market village is also leagues better than market street.

Ditto, MMV, GG, and CC are all better options, even if you're buying a second or third copy of them.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby rocksteady » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm just curious why is you can call such a set ugly, when this set is sold-out of sometime. I've been in many lego stores, and Lego Marketstreet has been always on demand or sold out in local stores. For the cost of it, the architectural design shouldn't be such an issue...you can customize it with additional pieces if you really wanted too. You really get what you pay for (not as expensive as GG or CC).

So everyone doesn't have onion taste like you do, no reason to call this an ugly set. Like many others, I bought this set and have no regrets.
rocksteady

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:59 pm

What? Personal opinion is a perfect reason to call a set ugly. You crazy.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:50 pm

rocksteady wrote:I'm just curious why is you can call such a set ugly, when this set is sold-out of sometime.

because i can? like don said, it is just my opinion. a set's sold out status or level of demand does not always equate its inherent aesthetic appeal.

rocksteady wrote: I've been in many lego stores, and Lego Marketstreet has been always on demand or sold out in local stores. For the cost of it, the architectural design shouldn't be such an issue...you can customize it with additional pieces if you really wanted too. You really get what you pay for (not as expensive as GG or CC).

So everyone doesn't have onion taste like you do, no reason to call this an ugly set. Like many others, I bought this set and have no regrets.

okay *shrug* your defense of this set against my negative opinion makes it seem to me you feel like i'm personally attacking something you value. if you like the set, good for you. my opinion, and i'd like to point out i'm not alone in my opinion, shouldn't change that. if you're happy, i'm happy for you.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby kelano28 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm

rocksteady wrote:I'm just curious why is you can call such a set ugly, when this set is sold-out of sometime. I've been in many lego stores, and Lego Marketstreet has been always on demand or sold out in local stores. For the cost of it, the architectural design shouldn't be such an issue...you can customize it with additional pieces if you really wanted too. You really get what you pay for (not as expensive as GG or CC).

I have made them all and architecturally speaking Market Street just doesn't stack up to GG or CC...

So while it is just onions' opinion it isn't by any means an outlier. Sure, people have it and many probably like it, but I also suggest putting money elsewhere like Medieval Market Village
kelano28

Postby Moana Makani » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:48 am

Good riddance. I hated that set. But just an opinion. XD
Moana Makani

Postby Blacknight » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Don't forget Town Plan, it's leagues better too. Market Street should have been evicted in the design phase.
Blacknight

Postby ccjwprongs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:06 am

Wow, you people have surprised me. I didn't think Market Street was that universally disliked. Sure, it doesn't live up to the majesty of Green Grocer or Cafe Corner, but it's still a great set IMO. Love all the blue.
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:32 am

ccjwprongs wrote:Wow, you people have surprised me. I didn't think Market Street was that universally disliked. Sure, it doesn't live up to the majesty of Green Grocer or Cafe Corner, but it's still a great set IMO. Love all the blue.

I'm with you. I wouldn't say it's a "wow, fantastic!" set, but I'm perfectly happy with it and it was well worth the price that LEGO originally charged for it (not sure about $160 though).
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Mr.legoman123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Solo wrote:What? Personal opinion is a perfect reason to call a set ugly. You crazy.

LOL. but i seriosly do agree with Don on this one. Calling something ugly is a form of opinion
NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOUR DAD SHAVES HIS LEGS!!!!
Mr.legoman123

Postby RaeRae » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

I own the Lego Market Street set. In comparison with the other pieces, it's just sort of blah and doesn't quite seem to fit in with the rest. Has anyone seen any great mods with this set? I'd love to rebuild it to make it look more unique, but unfortunately I'm not very creative!
RaeRae

Return to Original Themes