Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Vintage Minifig Collection Vol. 2 (Far Out Space Nuts)

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: Vintage Minifig Collection Vol. 2 (Far Out Space Nuts)

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 pm

As someone who has many of the original versions of these minifigs, I dig the fact that Lego does these retro collections. I didn't even notice the difference in the classic space helmet styles until I compared the image with a classic space minifig from the 80's. I don't have the 1st vintage collection, but it looks to me like the "chin strap" portion of new helmets are thicker than the original classic space helmets. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but several of my classic space figs had that part of the helmet crack, which makes me wonder if that's why Lego is using the new design.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
UOldPirate

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:13 pm

Lego changed their helmets like 20 years ago...they don't have the old mold in use so they use the current one.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:23 pm

ThinkingImpaired wrote:Lego changed their helmets like 20 years ago...they don't have the old mold in use so they use the current one.

Thanks for pointing that out. I never looked back to see when the change occurred. I didn't expect Lego to use the old mold, I was really just speculating as to a possible reason for the change whenever it was. Regardless, new helmet / old helmet, I still think the vintage minifig collections are a cool concept.
UOldPirate

Postby Draykov » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Part #2446 (aka the "standard/modern" helmet) first showed up in Blacktron I/Space Police I and Futuron sets in the late 80s. I know I've seen my fair share of the old style helmets breaking at the chin, so I imagine the redesign of the helmet was partly to address this issue and partly to address the lack of any visor to protect little minifigs from the cold vacuum of space.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Yoda 56 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I have been waiting for the Vol. 2 to come out for a while! Finally! XD
For the Republic!
Yoda 56

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:41 am

Ok, so the old style helmet is gone. I too have had my share of cracked chins on the old helmets, so that change is ok with me.

But what really freaks me out about the Vol. 2 spacemen is the printing of the space logo: It is now centered on the torso. Both the originals and the Vol. 1 red spaceman have it printed on their chest.

When I first looked at the white spaceman I thought there was something odd about him (beside the helmet), placed next to the red spaceman it was obvious. (Pics will follow this weekend, unless somebody beats me to it.)
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Iare Tosevite » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:00 am

Wow you're right. It is a little bit lower. Maybe to differate from orginial ones?
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:52 pm

From left to right: White Spaceman from VMC Vol. 2, Red Spaceman from VMC Vol. 1 and Black Spaceman from Vol. 2:

As for lack of visor - the old helmet does have the dimples to attach a visor, but I believe there was only ever a knight's visor as part of the castle line. What I used to do with my spacemen was to replace the head with a trans round brick - red for the white spaceman and blue or green for the red spaceman. Like so:

P.S. Who turned off the lights?
Gingerbeard Man

Postby onions » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:03 pm

are the logo printings supposed to be on different parts of the chest?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Jettbacca » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Why are there heads different colors?
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:33 am

@onions: That is the question... ;)
It seems like a deliberate change. The image of "Vintage Minifig Collection Vol. 2" on S@H also shows the logo printing further down. But why? It's just wrong - and they had managed to get it right in Vol. 1. It's not like the helmets, where the old shape is no longer available. Time for Ask Lego, I think.

@Jettbacca: Which heads are you referring to?
The actual heads in the Vintage Minifig Collection sets are all the plain yellow faces. The colour of the "visors" in my other pictures is simply the way I like them. I think the red visor looks good with a white spacesuit, but I would not want it on a red spacesuit. I guess the blue and green would also look good with the white but I just happen to have more white spacemen than red ones and more red trans bricks than blue or green ones.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Jettbacca » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:12 am

I can't remember what heads i'm refering to. I haven't been on in a while. I think the reddish black ones
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Zeron175 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:51 pm

I really like the red ninja but the price is a little too steep for me.
Zeron175

Postby Blondie-Wan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Well... drat about the lower printing. I, too, thought there might be something different about these Spacemen when I first saw them, but I chalked it up to the different helmets. Shoot.

But still. As someone who does indeed harbor very fond memories of the old Space sets, but who unlike many here no longer has all his old sets from before the '90s, I'm still tickled that they've chosen to put not one but two Space people in one of these sets. And the others are great, too - a Pirate and a Ninja? Woohoo! And "one other random guy" is always nice to have, too. The Pirate should even go pretty nicely with the current Pirates, I think. I believe I'll have to get Vol. 2 (though I do admit to hoping they offer a revised version with the Space insignia restored to its original position on the torsos).
;)
Blondie-Wan

Previous

Return to Original Themes