Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Vintage Minifigure Collection 3

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Vintage Minifigure Collection 3

Postby bigospedros » Wed May 27, 2009 2:11 am

And here it is ...

(courtesy of Bricklink)

Looks quite good ... various folks seem to be excited by the Blue Coat and the Cowboy :cool:
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Re: Vintage Minifigure Collection 3

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 am

I never would have thought the yellow spaceman was released in 1979. I first got one in 1983, but according to BrickLink there were indeed two Space Mini-Figures "sets" out in 1979 (0014 and 0015). Still seems strange that the yellow spaceman never appeared in any of the actual sets until 1982.

What are the odds that Collection #4 will have the blue spaceman? ;)
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Joedward » Wed May 27, 2009 6:36 am

I am extremely tempted to get this when it shows up on S@H. It's a very nice collection. Might pick up VMC 2, not sure. First one doesn't interest me.
But I am very interested to see how long these go on for and what other figures end up being included.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby rocksteady » Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 am

isn't the yellow lego spaceman suppose to have the earlier space helmet? the one found on the link on the previous posts..
rocksteady

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 am

They won't remake the mold because in reality that old helmet sucks because it breaks easily.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 am

The yellow spaceman has the same "new" helmet as the red spaceman in Collection 1 and the white and black spacemen in Collection 2. This was discussed when Collection 2 appeared. At least they have fixed the logo - it is back on the upper portion of the chest again (the white and black spaceman had the logo centered on their torso).

About helmets breaking - why has the knight's helmet not been redone? Or am I the only one whose knights lost the nose-guard on their helmets..?
Gingerbeard Man

Postby thepatient » Wed May 27, 2009 11:34 am

The Calvary dude is the selling point for me. Nice hat and I like the fancy cookie duster.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed May 27, 2009 3:41 pm

The first minifig collection was bleh, the second as pretty good but this one is amazing. I'm sure it will be very expensive though but if I ever find a good deal on this, it's mine. The bluecoat is amazing. The cowboy general is cool but I already have a few of it. The other 3 are also very good.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Flynn » Wed May 27, 2009 6:45 pm

I wish they'd stop doing classic spacemen and start doing Blacktron or SP figs, but that's just me.

This one looks very good, although I'm probably not going to buy it, as I don't really feel like spending 20 dollars for four minifigures.

(Although it is tempting, throw in a Blacktron fig next time and I'll go for it)
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby UOldPirate » Wed May 27, 2009 10:01 pm

I really like the minifig collections, I hope Lego keeps cranking them out. It's nice to finally see a classic castle fig in this set. Somewhat surprising that they didn't show up until the 3rd volume. Lego also seems to be headed in the right direction on the "vintage" end too. Volume 1 had a minifig from 2002, volume 2's newest minifig was from 1999 and this set has nothing newer than 1996. In my mind vintage = minifigs from 80's and early 90's.
UOldPirate

Postby Draykov » Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 am

UOldPirate wrote:I really like the minifig collections, I hope Lego keeps cranking them out.

I'm very happy about these as well, even if they are a bit pricey. I understand the whole "minifigs are expensive to make" concept. There's just a bit of sticker shock when you get a set that's $17.99-$19.99 and it's just 5 figs.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Draykov wrote:I'm very happy about these as well, even if they are a bit pricey. I understand the whole "minifigs are expensive to make" concept. There's just a bit of sticker shock when you get a set that's $17.99-$19.99 and it's just 5 figs.

Yeah, I agree there is definitely some sticker shock there at $3.00+ per figure. However, as long as Lego includes some of the truly vintage and unique minifigs, I'd say its worth it. The really old figs (80's) aren't easily found in mint condition for 3-4 dollars. I think the collections become less of a value when there are 1 or 2 minifigs in the bunch that you don't really care for or that aren't rare or vintage.
UOldPirate

Postby banthafodder » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:15 pm

How about sticking Watto or jango fett into the next one? XD But that probably wouldn't happen so what figures should be included in future sets? I wouldn't mind an indian chief or rivermen.
banthafodder

Postby legodeathstrike » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

I hope the next vintage set comes with the robinhood woodmen minifig. Or was it in the first collection?? unsure.
legodeathstrike

Postby Draykov » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:00 pm

legodeathstrike wrote:I hope the next vintage set comes with the robinhood woodmen minifig. Or was it in the first collection?? unsure.

It wasn't, and future collections most definitely need to include a Forestman. If I could pick what goes into Vol. 4:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby legodeathstrike » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:47 pm

the first 3 photos are classic! hopefully they get chosen in the next installment.
legodeathstrike

Postby Draykov » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:56 am

FYI - #3 is up at Shop@Home ($17.99 USD).
Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to Original Themes