Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Forum categories

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Forum categories

Postby jeffrey pt. 2 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Would it be possible to bring back a separated Star Wars LEGO and Star Wars forums?
I find it frustrating to sift through Star Wars conversations and LEGO related conversations lately.

Anyway, just a suggestion, not a complaint. I love everything about this place.
jeffrey pt. 2

Re: Forum categories

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Part of the idea with the relaunch was to streamline the forum and focus more on the brick, and merging Lego discussions with non-Lego-though-still-related discussions on the various licenses and themes was one of the main ideas.

Is it that difficult to enjoy the Star Wars section now that i has both Lego and non-Lego threads intermixed? Anyone else feel free to chime in here with some pros/cons.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:22 pm

i'm inclined to say no. the team put a lot of thought into organizing the forums and i think they did an excellent job. overall it feels less cluttered and it is much easier to manage. i really don't feel that sifting through a forum and ignoring topics that don't interest you is all that different than ignoring whole forums that don't interest you. you can pretty much tell what the topic is about by reading the title anyway (if they related to the brick or not).

we would need a near-unanimous voice by the community to separate those two topics into their own forums again.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby meeotch » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Frankly, I love how it's set up. For me, my true "fanboyness" with Star Wars and with Lego came concurrently; I was just an average fan of Star Wars, then I got the MTT, which brought me out of my Lego dark ages, and then I found Wookieepedia, which allowed me to read up on the vehicles I was building, which made me want to buy more, ad infinitum. So, I like having the one place to chat about those topics. I don't really want to join an actual Star Wars forum, because I just don't have the time to eat up all the EU stuff the way I know some of those fans are.

I think that ultimately, if you registered for this site, you are both a Star Wars fan and a Lego fan, so those things shouldn't be an issue when mixed together. The only other thing that I have to add is that while I see why the other 3 forums are split the way that they are and it's no biggie, I could easily see Liscensed, Original Themes, and General Lego being combined, as they are basically what encompasses all non-SW Lego.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Jabba the Taff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:55 am

Yeah, one Star Wars forum is enough. It feels more natural and encourages threads about Star Wars to weave into Lego.

meeotch wrote: The only other thing that I have to add is that while I see why the other 3 forums are split the way that they are and it's no biggie, I could easily see Liscensed, Original Themes, and General Lego being combined, as they are basically what encompasses all non-SW Lego.

Good idea for the Original and Licensed Themes, which could be combined, but the General Lego forum should still be separate for discussion on TLG announcements, building techniques or other miscellanea.
Jabba the Taff

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:02 pm

As I stated here, I think the way you re-organized the forums was great. There really is no reason to separate the two out, because they fit really well together.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:01 am

Well, to validate jeffrey, it is a slight nuisance to have to sift through some threads when you're looking for the latest news on SW LEGO. But as meeotch said, at the end of the day, I'm really a Star Wars fan and LEGO just happens to be one of the greatest outlets for indulgence, so it would probably be more annoying to have to check two separate forums for all the Star Wars stuff.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Return to Suggestions