Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Software / Games board consolidation

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Software / Games board consolidation

Postby jp-30 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi,

Just wondering about the reason behind shifting the LEGO Software discussion back into a general LEGO board (and removing Star Wars software discussion altogether)? I thought the creation of a separate forum on the old boards for LEGO / Star Wars games / software was fairly successful.

My suggestion would be to restore that board, but maybe once I understand the reasons for its disappearance my mind will be changed.
Last edited by jp-30 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp-30

Re: Software / Games board consolidation

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:28 pm

It was one of the lesser trafficked areas that could be easily integrated into the newly divided discussion forums.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jp-30 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Lesser traffic isn't necessarily a reason for removal though.

Nearly 10,000 posts in one of the 'newest' boards at fbtbforums isn't too bad. Especially considering it was never linked in the dropdown menu of the FBTB main site.

Oh well, if it's gone it's gone, but I felt it filled quite a good role at the old forums.
Last edited by jp-30 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp-30

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:39 pm

jp-30,

I'm not an admin or mod, so I don't know for certain, but I do have a theory. One thing that seems clear to me in the creation of the new site and forum is that they (the admins and mods) appear to be moving away from Star Wars LEGO specifically and more to LEGO in general. We see this in the creation of the different LEGO forums and in the consolidation of the MOCs forum.

To that end, given that Star Wars software was basically on the fringe of Star Wars LEGO already (the only real link being the aging Star Wars LEGO videogames), discontinuing the forum related to it seems in-keeping with the new focus of the site. Also, when it comes to LEGO software, there really isn't that much to talk about, and they could easily fit into the expanded LEGO boards.

Now, some may disagree with the desicion to discontinue discussion of videogames. Lord knows I butted heads with the mods in the past over the extremely-cramped videogame thread in the old BCS. However, I'm beginning to agree with mods on this point ( :o Shocking, I know). The focus of this site is LEGO, not videogames. While there is room for discussion in the BCS for such things (to a limited extent), it just doesn't really fit the site to do much more than that.

And I bet you mods thought I would rant about how a new forum should have been created for videogames. Not today, guys, not today.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Jude is on the right track with his theory, but I think you may be seeing this the wrong way. Just because it doesn't have its own dedicated section doesn't mean it can't be discussed any more. All the topics easily fit into the new structure while maintaining the new focus on building. It'll take some getting used to, but if you happen to start a thread in the wrong section it can be easily moved and after a while it will be more obvious.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Interesting, so discussing Star Wars videogames in the Star Wars forum would be acceptable as well. Awesome.

In case I haven't made it abundantly clear already, I am extremely impressed with the organization of the forums. I'd actually thought on the subject numerous times in the past, but the solution the admins have come up with here is far superior to anything I ever came up with. My hats off to you.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby onions » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:17 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:Interesting, so discussing Star Wars videogames in the Star Wars forum would be acceptable as well. Awesome.

In case I haven't made it abundantly clear already, I am extremely impressed with the organization of the forums. I'd actually thought on the subject numerous times in the past, but the solution the admins have come up with here is far superior to anything I ever came up with. My hats off to you.

i agree with you here. the forum organization was done by the staff sans me, and things definitely feel like they flow more smoothly now.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 pm

I just wanted to chime in after the lock.

Here, the staff has 15 subforums to manage, both public and private.

On the old forum, we had 24.

Obviously, we were very focused on streamlining the organization here in our new home, and discussed the layout and addition/removal of subforums more than almost every other subject of the relaunch.
Chief

Return to Suggestions