Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Rant Page

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Rant Page

Postby sadowsk1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:13 pm

My fiancee visits the ravelry.com webpage frequently which for everyone who might be familiar with is a website on the topic of knitting and the like. On their webpage forum they have a rant page. It's pretty entertaining, can a new forum be created for that? Their rant page doesn't really involve knitting at all, but it's fun on the slow days for knitting news. Lord knows there are slow days for lego news...
sadowsk1

Re: Rant Page

Postby The Brain » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:34 pm

First off, there are plenty of rants on this website in-topic of something. Second, site suggestions should be relegated to the suggestions forum.

Sorry for mini-modding, y'all.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby JPCJedi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:59 pm

Uh...I really want to be careful about this; I feel like this decision's already been made by the staff.

The way I see it, years ago (well, a couple of years ago) before the changeover from the old forums, the Bantha Coffee Shop section actually said "enter at your own risk," and it was basically unmonitored. Then every once in a while, the mods would come in and shut down some thread that had gone on for a couple of hundred posts of ranting and flaming, and it got troublesome and annoying.

So after the forum changeover...well, while we get to make more individualized threads instead of using amalgamized threads like "the video game thread" or "the action film thread," but...

...the COC now officially frowns on "inflammatory or offensive posts."

So the COC seems to value politeness before strict organization. It's one step away in interpretation, yes, but personally I don't see a carte blanche rant section meshing with that priority.

It's still a worthy suggestion, and I suppose we might get it one day. But it would have to be almost completely unmonitored, and...well, I just feel like we tried that a few years ago.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Postby dWhisper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 am

It all comes down to what you mean by rant. On off-topic stuff, that is what the BCS is for, as JPC said. It's a free range sort of thing, so if you want to post on knitting and needlepoint, go nuts. But also realize that if there aren't others who share your interest, your thread will probably just sink.

But if your purpose is basically just to whine, there's no place for that. There are plenty of forums on the internet to rant, write a blog, go to Facebook, use Flickr on random images like some people do. Harsh? A little, but that's the nature of the site we've created, and the community we have. So ask yourself, what would it really add to that community?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Robzula » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:46 am

While I think the rant thread idea is a bad one and this solution probably wouldn't work all that well either, maybe we could have like a forum that's "more off topic than off topic" that could be where people just go and post whatever they want for things that don't really warrant a full topic of its own.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:46 am

Try the chatroom for that sort of thing. ;)

edit: oh wow that comment was two weeks old, where have I been? :lol:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Wow, I know I've been mostly absent for a few months, but I didn't really think anyone would miss my long, increasingly rambling rants that usually failed to make a relevent point. Good to know I was missed, and I'll see what I can do to satisify your rant cravings. There's a fairly fresh rant over in the Star Wars forum to get you started... :lol:
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Return to Suggestions