Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Advanced search broken?

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Advanced search broken?

Postby Morgan19 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Is the Advanced Search function broken? I was just trying to search for the Shut Up and Build thread (I couldn't remember where it was and searching through the sections didn't turn it up) and got a "those words are too common and have been removed from your search" when trying to look for "shut up". I've only ever seen that type of return for terms like a or the before.

Curious, I tried a few other phrases and get the same error with:

- LEGO
- fbtb
- star wars
- star wars lego
- your mother
- i'm a happy little hippopotamus (oddly enough, it removed everything but "hippopotamus" :lol:)

Is that intentional? It just seems odd that it would refuse to find anything with some of those terms...

:?:

m19
Morgan19

Re: Advanced search broken?

Postby onions » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 pm

i'm not entirely sure. i guess it depends on how you did your search.

there is supposed to be a board-wide search, it was part of the header but I had to remove it for relaunch. re-integrating that board-wide search box is on my list of things to do; it's actually next on my list of things to do. otherwise, i had thought that any other search is available for users is board-specific.

i didn't change any of the search functionality, so i'm not sure why your'e getting that message to be honest.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Sort of took a backwards approach: if you go to View New Posts, there's a link hiding in there for "Back to Advanced Search".

m19
Morgan19

Postby dWhisper » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 am

I've run into the same problem, and I'll poke through some of the settings. For the time being, we're still "new" enough that it's not a huge deal, but it can be in the future.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby onions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:29 am

search box is now available on the top right of pages.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 am

how do you guys feel about the search functionality? does it work well? i can plug in a custom google search engine. would that be preferable over the phpbb search?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks for the update, guys. I see the search field, but now it's just accessibly broken. ;) Tried searches for the following:

• UCS
• falcon
• UCS falcon
• +UCS +falcon

...and still get a "those terms are too common" error. It just seems odd that terms like those (and the ones listed before) would be too common, considering they're fairly hobby-specific in our realm. The only term that would actually initiate a search without an error was "10179". I just don't remember the old boards being this picky. Makes it a lot harder when people are told to use the search, if it can't actually search. ;)

Seems broken to me; a Google alternative might be better?

m19
Morgan19

Postby Andi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 am

And it seems the search function has problems with words parted with - It does not find any results for at-at or at-ot
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Joedward » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 am

Andi,
Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found.

I prefer the use of 'and' and 'or' and such in search rather than the + and -.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Andi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:31 am

Ed, I didn't want to include or exclude a word, but I was searching for the term AT-AT (you know that big grey walker which appears in Hoth ;) ) or AT-OT.
But both gave me No Results.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Joedward » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:42 am

I realised that, but if you include a - before a word, the search will exclude that word from the search.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby onions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 am

well if it being completely broken and unusable isn't a reason to switch to a google search, i don't know what is. i haven't changed any code in how the search actually functions, so i'm not sure what the reason is why it can't do a simple single term search.

ed, usually, search engines will ignore whatever follows a '-' but only if the minus and the term you want to exclude is recognized as a whole entity. 'at-ot' should be recognized as a whole entity, and 'at -ot' would be recognized as two separate entities.

i'll work on putting in a google search. i should have it ready by tonight. there are no advanced search options, such as search in a specific forum, but it will work.
onions
Founder
Founder

Return to Suggestions