Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Fail Whale Frenzy

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Fail Whale Frenzy

Postby Draykov » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm probably too close to this one...but I'd like to suggest that the next member to waltz into a thread and declare "You guys = fail! You didn't do X, Y, Z correctly" be killed and eaten. Mainly this stems from the fact that some of our all-to-eager FBTB brethren have been so excited to catch their fellow posters in an error that they themselves become error prone by accusing people of mistakes that are actually nothing more than the attacker's own lack of ability to follow an entire threaded discussion.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: Fail Whale Frenzy

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm not entirely sure what exactly spawned this thread, but I would like to remind you of this.

Yes, noobs can be a bit annoying: that's why we call them noobs (I sometimes call them nubs, but that's neither here nor there). Remember, this is supposed to be a kinder, more gentle FBTB than the previous iteration. Banning people for minor infractions is NOT a good way to build a community. Sure, the "you fail" slogan is old, cliche, and generally lame at this point (At the risk of being redudant and failing myself, people who say "you fail" fail). Still rather than replying in the snarky, sarcastic way of yore, try sending them a PM explaining to them the error of their way (in a non-sarcastic/snarky way). If the problem continues, contact a MOD and have them deal with the person.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Draykov » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 pm

I'm sensitive to the message in the linked thread, but "kinder/gentler" applies to all parties, does it not? I don't mean to overreact - and be assured, this post was mostly in jest - but I'm just a little concerned about the quality of the discussions that have come up at FBTB of late. I don't want to scare away potential new members, but nor do I want FBTB to be overrun by a bunch of white noise and become the "YouTube comments section" of the online LEGO community.

I will build and reflect.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Jargon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:33 pm

It goes back to the old dictum: Think before you post.
Does your post add anything to the dialogue? Will anyone else think so?
Are you paying attention to what's been said? Or are you jumping in with something that doesn't need to be said again?
If you make a habit of these simple guidelines, respect will be much more easily earned than otherwise.
    - Aaron
P.S.
Fun fact: While I was writing this post, I accidentally reversed terms, resulting in "Post before you think." If I hadn't been thinking about what I was writing and reviewed my post, the point would have been lost.
Jargon

Return to Suggestions