Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Bluemoose's Observations on the previous Suggestions forum

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Bluemoose's Observations on the previous Suggestions forum

Postby Solo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:24 pm

I've decided to share some thoughts about it, that will hopefully help clarify why I think this forum is here ...

(a) It was set up to provide a forum for members to pitch ideas for how to improve the site.
... "There's always room for improvement - tell us your ideas for the forums or FBTB" ...
It is not intended as a discussion area. If you want to discuss stuff, go over to the Coffee Shop. But rest assured that we (the Staff) do read all of them, and please don’t be put off by any lack of replies from the Staff.

(b) Some ideas are easy to implement; others are hard. But don't expect any of them to be implemented over night.

(c) Remember that they are suggestions. We don't have to take action against any of them ... but they are all welcomed. And just because your suggestion doesn't get taken up, please don't get out of sorts over it. There are lots of reasons why a suggestion may not be used.

(d) The bulk of suggestions are to do with technical stuff within the site - changing the software or data behind the system. Many of these are, even if technically possible, very time consuming to implement, and the risk of messing up the site is high – any potential benefit has to be weighed against the effort, and risk, involved. Only in few cases is it really worth it.

(e) Think outside the box – as well as suggestions about how the site is run by “da Management”, there must be lots of other ideas, such as ones to do with members' own behaviour, that rarely, if ever, get touched on. Try thinking about it … I'll start - how about an agreed way of signalling how honest you want people to be when commenting on your MOC ? “GE-IMFPM” (go easy, it’s my first posted MOC), to "ICP-PMD" (I crave praise - praise me gorramit), to “IABB/GICTI” (I’m a big boy/girl, I can take it) … or a star system might be easier to remember (‘*’ for first time MOCer, to ‘*****’ for MasterBuilder) ;)

(f) Just because you can make a suggestion, doesn't mean you should – please think about what you’re really suggesting, the effort involved and the consequences for all involved, before going anywhere near the keyboard.

(g) This is a "suggestions" forum, not a "whinge"/"complain"/"gripe" forum. Be constructive ! If you think there’s a problem, suggest a solution.

(h) Use search. Many suggestions have been made before.

(i) It isn't a popularity contest - just 'cause lots of members say "I think it's a great idea too", does not make it any more likely to happen.

(j) Please don't waste your time posting suggestions related to recruiting new Moderators or Admins. If & when new ones are needed we've got the process pretty well sorted & it's a private process. So we don't need any suggestions of who to recruit or how to recruit new members of staff. Thanks. :-P

Hope that’s useful feedback for y’all :)

Ian
Solo

Re: Bluemoose's Observations on the previous Suggestions forum

Postby Solo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:25 pm

I decided to copy this over for the new forum because it's wrought with insight. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: Bluemoose's Observations on the previous Suggestions forum

Postby dWhisper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 pm

A few notes on this forum. The staff can (and will) close topics once we've addressed or resolved them, so expect this place to have more than the average of locked threads.

Also, keep in mind that we're on a new platform and that means that we're still learning, all around.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to Suggestions