Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Help! A tricky one for a qualified (?) Lego expert.

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Help! A tricky one for a qualified (?) Lego expert.

Postby jomandybri » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:46 am

Hi all,
I have a got myself into a bit of a jam with some Lego. I acquired one of the thousand NY I Heart Lego exclusives from back earlier this year, and I was presented with the opportunity to purchase four more. I could hardly believe my luck, and jumped (perhaps a little too quickly) at the chance. After the seller sent me a photo, I was satisfied I wasn't buying fakes that seem to be circulating on eBay for about $20-$30.

Turns out, it was a poor photo and they're fairly well presented fakes. :x I know for a fact they are, you can see where the decal has been applied quite clearly on the chest, only the packaging is fairly close to real. Again, I know it's not... if you see this photo here, you can see what issues I have with it.

The cardboard backing has been printed (hard to tell from the photos) with an inkjet printer on basic cardboard (not the nice Lego stuff). As well as this, there's the lack of a seal above the cardboard to keep it fixed in place, and the fact that the tears at the bottom and the top of the real ones (presumably from where they were sealed and torn in the factory), and these fakes have been sealed at the top and bottom far too nicely.

Naturally, I have lodged a PayPal dispute, only I didn't buy it through eBay's official channels (stupid move #2 :facepalm:). As a part of this, PayPal sent me a generic email asking to provide some documentation or letter or statement or something that can prove the ones I was provided with are fakes, and some contact details for the person who can certify this. I know it's probably a long shot, but I was hoping someone on here might be able to somehow prove or confirm the differences between these fakes I have been sent, and the real things. There's a few hi-res images on them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jomandybri/sets/72157637037962045/

Thank you for your ideas, comments, and input in advance! :)

-jomandybri
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Re: Help! A tricky one for a qualified (?) Lego expert.

Postby dWhisper » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am

You have pictures of the the real one and pictures of the obvious fake with the sticker printed on the front, but that's about all you can do. Have you tried to get in touch with LEGO on it as well to report a counterfeit item? They take a very dim view of that sort of thing, and their information and name were used in the item.

Otherwise, it's more of a lesson learned, I'm afraid.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby jomandybri » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 am

Well, I thought I'd update... I got my refund!!! :) All thanks to a statement from a super willing Lego customer service worker, who was able to examine the photos for me and provide an official statement declaring them as fakes. I was instructed by PayPal to destroy the items, and then they refunded me. Anyway thought I would mention it simply in case anyone was wondering.

I'm just so glad that between PayPal and Lego, I think we all have two very solid (and important!) companies. XD
jomandybri

Postby Rook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:29 am

Yeah I can see the sticker clearly in your image! O.O
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby jomandybri » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:51 am

Rook wrote:Yeah I can see the sticker clearly in your image! O.O

Yep, my heart sank the instant I saw them... like I said, very good fakes (packaging-wise, anyway).
jomandybri

Return to BCS 2.0