Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Who Are You?

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: Who Are You?

Postby thepatient » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi, I’m Eric.

I’ve been around FBTB since about 2003, but only became a member in the spring of 2007 after going to C4 and visiting the FBTB booth there. That was my first convention, and decided to more active in the forums.

Well, what can I say? I’m 39, married, and have two kids. Bluemoose is my new hero. With him here; it means I’m not the oldest member. It is good to see many of the older members have made the jump to the new forums. I pretty much fall into the collector bracket. I do some MOCs, but never have posted them. I do enjoy seeing the MOCs in here though. Some of my favorites are:

Rebel Rock- does great builds, very complex, but with easily recognizable humor.

“The naan man”- complex, and isn’t afraid to go into the dark side of LEGO. He scares me a bit too.

Olog- He does things with pieces that just blow my mind.

I like the Adventures of Walter , but I can’t remember who does that since it’s been a while that I’ve seen it (Same thing with Well Played for that matter). Are those features lost to the old Forums too?

My history is as follows. I was born an Air Force brat in Zeist, Holland. I lived all over the US and a few places in England from 1978-1984. I lived in California for the last 25 years. I’m one of the few people here who saw Star Wars on the first day it was released in 1977.Recently I bought the LEGO Collector’s Guide and discovered that the first set I ever got was 195 Airplane. I’ve been hooked on LEGO ever since then. I’ve witnessed the rise of the Minifig, and collected Technic, Town and Space as a kid. I’m one of those people who think that (Classic) Space died around 1984. With a “brief” dark age from 1986-1998, the Adventurers line started me back in to the hobby, but just with a couple of sets. I really liked the look of the old planes and cars. Then one day I went to check on possibly buying another Adventures car when there… in all of its glory…was the original Landspeeder. It’s pretty much been a sickness since then. I’ve bought way more LEGO since the age of 28 than I ever had as a kid; about twenty fold if my calculations are correct. I still have most of the sets from when I was a kid. I started relly getting into it when I was a bouncer at a little bar in town and building helped me relax at 3 am in the morning before finally going to bed. These days it’s to have something to do since the birth of my first child I had to cut back on drinking (Not to get drunk-I just like good beer, just one or two). With the birth of my second kid beer pretty much went by the wayside along with going out, seeing movies, going to fast-food and restaurants. Occasionally I got to enjoy the sweet barley nectar here and there ( but I refuse to give up smoking-it’s the only real vice I have left). Today I buy Star Wars, City, Trains and the Indiana Jones lines. I like other lines, but I have to keep it under some control.

I discovered FBTB a while back and that has been my main source of LEGO news. My favorite threads tend to be when the older members, generally over 21 years of age and married with kids, discuss their hobby along with the trials and tribulations that come with it. I still haven’t ever had a chance to meet any AFOLs, but hopefully someday that will change. As far as music: Anything by Maynard James Keenan(Tool/a perfect circle/Pucifer), Bad Religion, Storm Troopers of Death, Classic Iron Maiden, The Cure, The Crystal Method, The Smith, The Corrs (easily the hottest babes in music), Sublime, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Johnny Cash, Queen, Rush and ABBA just to mention maybe a tenth of my CD and Album collection.

Favorite Movies: Blade Runner, Das Boot, Black Book, Evil Dead 2 and of courseStar Wars I thru XI.

Favorite TV: Not the Nine O’clock News, The Two Ronnies, The Young Ones, Band of Brothers, Benny Hill, Rome,It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The Black Adder series.

How I did I come up with thepatient? Not long before C4, My doctor discovered a melanoma and that began a new treatment of cutting off every mole on my body to be checked over time. On the way home from the first melanoma discovered, I was listening to Tool’s lateralusand “the patient” came on. Not long after that I joined FBTB and that moniker seemed to fit how I was feeling. The worst is not facing my own mortality (so far the doc has been cacthing everything in time, so I'm not snuffing it anytime soon). The medication that I take to help my skin heal quicker from so many biopsies is apparently hard on the old liver. I haven’t been able to enjoy beer now for about 9 months. Even one could send me to the hospital. I did take a month off of the medication though, so I could have one beer on my birthday in January.
Last edited by thepatient on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Walter Kovacs » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Hello. My name is Rob, but I go by Walter Kovacs here on FBTB (Eurobricks, Bricklink and Brickshelf, too). I first joined FBTB in 2007 (I think). My user name is taken from one of the best comic book characters ever, Rorshach.

I'm a middle aged father of two, happily married, and just trying to eke out a living here in St. Louis by doing a little engineering.

I did a lot of lurking here, mostly because of limited posting time. I posted quite a few MOCs on the old site, most of them MLCad renders. That will change here soon, as I have been quite prolific on Bricklink recently. I look forward to giving my creations life in bricks, and then sharing them with all of you.
UCS TIE Project: 10 down, 35 to go!

My Brickshelf Page
Walter Kovacs

Postby gr6120 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi all. Glad to finally be a member here. I've actually been visiting FBTB for over a year, but hadn't been able to use my work or personal e-mail accounts to register and was finally able to sign up today (many thanks to all who helped change the policy on that :D).

I'm in Toronto, Canada, and my screen name (gr6120) is a nod to my guitar -- the Gretsch 6120-60. It's also been my handle on HotWheelsCollectors.com, where I've made over 130 positive die-cast trades since 2004 (in addition to SW Lego, I'm also an enthusiast of '69-'70 Ford Mustangs), and on eBay, where I've been a buyer/seller in good standing for the past 10 years. I mention my involvement with these other two sites only to offer a reference for personal feedback and background as I start becoming more active on FBTB.

Growing up in the '70s, I loved Lego and all things sci-fi and had a small collection of Lego Space sets. Although my interest in the brick faded as I got older, I've had this interest renewed over the past couple of years as my son has discovered the Star Wars universe and its Lego tie-ins. Now, he and I both collect and build SW sets and I do believe I've gotten hooked on it ;).

Looking forward to chatting -- and, in time, trading -- with many of the good people here.
Last edited by gr6120 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gr6120

Postby 11Numb » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Hello. Back on the last iteration of FBTB, I was 11numb. Now I'm 11Numb :P . I joined in January of 07, so I've been on FBTB for about 2 years. Not really many epic tales to retell...
11Numb

Postby yankeeken » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Austin wrote:My user name is my first name, and it has been for about a forum cycle now. I used to be austinsurge, then I dropped the surge and capitalized the whole thing, and now I'm on a first name basis with everyone because they have to be on a first name basis with me!

What about when you changed your name to Doc. Hudson (or what ever it was) for a while? ;)
yankeeken

Postby TheThrasher » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:11 am

My actual name is Kevin, and I'm a TFOL. I was a member of the old FBTB, but my name used to be the thrasher so it wasn't capitalized, which I always hated, but now was finally able to capitalized it. I got the name from when I was into Pokemon from the move, Thrash. Even though I'm not into Pokemon anymore, the name stuck so I'v always kept it. I live in St.Louis Missouri. I have a large interest in movies; sci fi, action, thriller, comdey, pretty much anything. I enjoy playing video games, and of course collecting LEGO. I also have just recently gotten a job, so I can start getting more of the sets without having to wait until Christmas, Birthday or asking my parents for money.
TheThrasher

Postby Commando80-0 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:06 am

I'm 80-0, 14, in warming-up-but-windy New York. I remember our first Lego set(my brother(18) and I) was a Hydro-scorpion speeder or some such thing. A teeny tiny impulse-sized set with a little scooter and a scorpion figure, underwater. First Star Wars Lego set was the Landspeeder. I remember walking inside, seeing it on the workbench, having a seizure...(OK, maybe not the seizure), wanting to build only Obi-wan, etc.

Favorite set along the way was definitely the Slave 1. Bounty hunters, particularly Mandalorians(of whom I'm a huge fan, in addition to Karen Traviss' Republic Commando novels), need more attention in the Lego world in my humble opinion.

In the regular world, on TV, I watch 24, BSG, Monk, House, and CSI: NY. Favorite movies are the LotR Trilogy and the two SW Trilogies, but I also liked Zulu with Michael Caine(recently played Alfred) which we have on DVD, and Henry V, Shakespeare's play, which believe it or not, back in 1989, stars Christian Bale as a young lad. So there you have two old movies which bring two new characters in two new movies together. Pretty awesome. I saw Dark Knight on the day before New Year's, a nice surprise from our cousins, and a fantastic movie. I also saw the latest Rambo movie quite a few months ago from a friend in the Boy Scout troop who lent us the DVD; if ripping someone's neck open with your fingers and blowing someone up with a .50 cal machine gun is no go for you, don't see it. But if it is... You know what to do... I also saw 300 last year; enjoyed it immensely even if I didn't quite understand the trolls/orcs without.

To go back to TV I've been greatly enjoying the Seventh Season of 24 which returned after a long writer's strike, as well as BSG which I only recently got into but am now following quite closely.

I MOC as often as I find that I have enough bricks on hand. If you don't hear from me I'm going around the two stockpile rooms in which my numerous Lego sets are stored, and I scour the boxes for interesting pieces to see what can be detailed, and sometimes quite subtle pieces like simple blocks or beams to create structure.

I have already built at least ten, MAYBE at least twenty, POSSIBLY 30, DARE I say it and dare I doubt it 40(this one I doubt) MOCs since my joining CABG, but I can't tell as they're jumbled across the internet in various forms of media, and they are no longer on the computer but on two DVDs stored with all the pictures.

But enough about me...
Commando80-0

Postby Crusader » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:31 am

Crusader here. Crusader often writes in the third person, but occasionally lapses into the Royal Plural. When We start doing that, its best to take take sharp objects away from US...

(CRUSADER SLAPS HIMSELF HARD)

Sorry, I'm all better now...I joined FBTBD around '06 or so. Although I've loved both Star Wars and Lego since I was a little kid, I was in a Dark Age until my kids got old enough to play with Legos. Now things are...not so Dark. I'm happily married to a wonderful woman that tolerates her husband's Lego addiction. I have three kids. A lot of my posts revolve around my kids playing with Lego. So while I'm an AFOL, I also try to see things thru a parent's eyes. I justify the sets I buy as for the kids. Sometimes people believe me.

My personal connection to Lego--I once made a 10' Bionicle out of EPS for them back when they were just launching the line in 2000. For a very brief window, I had one of the six original Bionicle guys in North America in my possesion. Nice people to work with, but I still think heiroglyphics are easier to read than Bionicle comics.

Despite often writing like I'm in my seventies, I'm actually in my thirties. Kind of big and scary looking--man-bear gone wrong territory I suppose.

I'm a Christian, not a particularly good one mind you (see below), but still Jesus is Lord, etc...

My name stems from a now defunct politcal blog I once participated in. My first post was in defense of the Crusades. That combined with Ben Kenobi's reference to "gorram fool idealistic Crusade", makes it an apt descriptor for me.

And since Crusader is a Republican--Crusader is pure evil. Crusader's blood is actually oil.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby epsilon-72 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 am

Hi, I'm epsilon-72. I joind the old fourms in 2005 but never did post much. I'm a TFOL and I started building legos (legos not duplos) when I was 2 but I still don't build very good MOCs. And I can't realy remember when I got into star wars...
My signature was destroyed in a nuclear explosion...
epsilon-72

Postby Brickoholic » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:50 am

I used to be Matty252 during FBTB's ezboard days. Been following the board for the last year to get info on up coming sets and such and decided to finally join/rejoin.
Brickoholic

Postby xadrian » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 am

Greetings all. I'm in fact new. I waited patiently for FBTB3.0 to emerge before being able to join. Glad I did, I foresee many a wasted minute being part of the community. (Truth be told, I wasted many years drawing comic books and cartoons so what's another distraction?) I'm also a dad, but don't hold that against me. They're great kids. ;)

I'm 35 and have been collecting since I was 15. The oldest set I have is a Futron Monorail but that's only in theory because last summer I took down all the sets I had (as display) and began sorting and building. I'm very new to building MOCs, having only done a handful as an adult, and I have much to learn.

So I hope to learn a lot and meet some folks and just generally ensconce myself in two of my favorite things with like minded folks.

Cheers!
xadrian

Postby JPCJedi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:46 pm

I am:
JPCJedi. My name is Jonathan. I'm 23, and I live in New Jersey. I'm on the old SSL and I have a BrickLink Store selling minifigs.

My proudest LEGO accomplishment is this Star Wars comic which I created from a fanfic script I wrote in high school. Description is here.

I am a minifig collector, lifetime Star Wars fan, and an unapologetically mediocre builder.

And I shall read the other posts in this thread soon.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Postby Jargon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Howdy folks, I'm Jargon!
I've been a member of FBTB for about 3 and a half years now (:shock:), but haven't been seen much around these parts over the last year. I'm a newly christened AFOL hailing from the great state of Washington (with a year-long hiatus in Minnesota corresponding to my absence here).
I'm not so great of a builder (hence my lack of MOCs online), but I'm working at it every day and will share a few things periodically.
All in all, I love FBTB.
Which is why I'm giving it a big, sloppy, quiver-your-liver kiss.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Morgan19 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:26 pm

I'm Jamie (Morgan's my middle name), and am 29 at the moment... ;) I've had the online name Morgan19 (or very rarely Morgan190 if the first is taken) since the fall of 1997, when I was starting college and needed a name for my email accounts. The "m19" happened soon after and I've been in the habit of signing posts with it for over a decade now. :shock:

I'm a graphic designer and love doing Photoshop and Illustrator projects related to LEGO in my freetime. I became truly active at FBTB around 2005 with the last board reset but was a lurker/reader for a while prior to that.

Apart from a few odds'n'ends, LEGO was my toy of choice as a kid and I've been lucky to have parents that did (and still do!) support the hobby. I had a serious Dark Ages somewhere around the period between 7th grade and 12th grade, about five or six years, until the introduction of the SW line dragged me back into the fun. Castle, Space, and SW (and variations thereof) have always been my favorite themes.

I don't build that much at the moment due to current space restraints, but have a crazy spurt every 7 or 8 months where I'll do lots of custom minifigs straight for a couple weeks, before getting burnt out and having to rest for a few months. :lol: I've had a modest amount of exposure on the Web from doing those, as well as my gold spraypaint-laden obsession with steampunk creations.

Apart from the actual bricks, I love collecting LEGO posters and other branded oddities like the minifig head egg timers.

m19
Last edited by Morgan19 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan19

Postby SkwerlJones » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello members of FBTB, and any lurkers who have yet to join.

My name is Mikey, and I'm 13 years old. I guess the proper term for my kind is TFOL, Teen Fan of Lego. I have always enjoyed Legos and Star Wars since I was a kid, two yars ago..... Some of my other hobbies are art, sci-fi, and homework?

I look forward to post on these great forums and meet the rest of the community! :)
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby Duck » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Hello again, the Duck is back.

Some of you may remember me, but that is not likely as I have not been active as much anymore. I couldn't keep up with the forums and LEGO as i have just had all my prelims and some GCSE's, so I have had to start studying, so I can actually get on some A level courses! But when I recently came back I saw the site was going to move, so I just waited and have returned, which is hopefully a good thing.

I am still interested in LEGO, and have just spent out alot of the money I saved over my exams on the new Clone Wars sets and others. Well anyway if you need more information such as my blood group then feel free to message me.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to become an active and contributing member... again.
Duck

Postby legofanatic209 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:37 pm

i love this topic. it's really cool finding out about some of the people that have been on here forever. i have been on here for a long time now since the original forums its seems like forever ago. my name is stephen and i got my name from being a lego fanatic i pride myself in knowing a lot about lego. i have been hooked since the middle 80's when i was old enough to "get into" something. i love playing with them. the 209 comes from month and day (not year) of my birthday. for a while in college i was actually embarrassed because i felt like i was the only one my age that loved lego. then i came across this site while searching for some sets i wanted and couldn't find anywhere else. the b/s/t/f forum has been my friend ever since. then i got to know some people and what a beautiful friendship ever since.i am a youth-pastor by profession and one of my favorite sermons was preached while putting together lego sets. i'm pretty sure the kids appreciated it more than the oldults. (opps i guess i probably fit into the oldults category by age but not in spirit.) the new forums look great and i'm happy to be here.
legofanatic209

Postby Duchessa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm the swedish bikini team! :D

No?

Okay, but I'm actually swedish. I promise.

I'm in fact a grumpy old woman who lives near the Artic cirle with my husband, two cats and 650 lego sets.
Duchessa

Postby BigBenKenobi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Duchessa wrote:I'm the swedish bikini team! :D

Score!!! Finally one of you girls decided to join this place ;) .
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Zekk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:29 pm

Well...I was Zekk on the old forums, and I'm Zekk here. I like it and it's recognizable. I'm a guitarist and a have a band, and I like LEGO (well I guess if you join a LEGO forum, you're probably a LEGO fan...). I've been a member since August 2008 and a lurked for at least a year before that. By the way, I love the quote that starts off the thread on page one....great song... :D
"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon
Zekk

PreviousNext

Return to BCS 2.0