Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Death of the catch-all threads...

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Death of the catch-all threads...

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:11 pm

OK, so here's the deal everyone: the "all inclusive" style threads are henceforth officially canned.

Example: Random video game thread.

The reasoning is simple: they're unnecessary, bloated, and lame. We all know we're not a gaming oriented site, so we shouldn't need a thread listing tags and what you just played and so on. Talk to the people you want to play with directly if that's what you're after. At the same time, we are still a bunch of geeks who like talking about video games from time to time, and this is an off topic section after all. The key is to keep it interesting. Feel free to start a topic for any game you're really into, and if others join the discussion then the rock on. If no one replies, it will slide down the list and out of sight. Don't sulk or post replies to your own thread to keep it on the first page, just let it die. It's the way forums were set up to work.

This line of thought applies to the movie and TV threads as well, and for everything else really.

Sincerely,
Don
on behalf of the entire staff.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: Random Video Game Thread

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:13 pm

Thank you Don
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Re: Death of the Random Video Game Thread!

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Sorry to threadjack you like that Jettbacca, but you provided the perfect place to step in and introduce this latest turn of events. No harm done.

/me waits for the inevitable Halo thread.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:14 pm

It's fine Don. :)
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Actually, Jettbacca, I don't blame you. I had thought about starting up the video game thread myself, but didn't really have anything interesting to post about. I'd also thought about creating a generic TV show thread. Won't be doing that now. I'm glad to see this new direction. I was never a big fan of the conglomorate threads before. I think this solution is much better.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Don't blame me for what?
Jettbacca

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Soo...I could potentially start a retro game thread, or a Ghosts 'n Goblins thread, or a Metroid thread, or an Actraiser thread....

Wasn't the Random Video Game Thread created so that threads like the ones above wouldn't clutter up the forum?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Flynn: the point is to put more thought into what you're posting. These catch-all threads were started to cut down on clutter, but they just lead to a lot of mindless posts and ended up as ridiculously long threads with little real discussion.

Ask yourself if anyone still interested in any of the retro games you thought up. What would be the point of starting threads for them? And if you want to just toss out updates of what you've played lately, get a twitter account and go nuts. But if you earnestly want to talk about something specific, go for it.

Edit: I retitled this to give a broader perspective on it, and split off the Halo specific train of thought.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 pm

One game that I just got is NHL 09 which is extremely realistic and has great gameplay.
I also got Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution which is a great simulator for all the history geeks like me. You lead a country through time and the goal is to go to space, take over all the bad guys, create the UN, or build the World Bank. It's a great game.
Jettbacca

Re: Death of the catch-all threads...

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 pm

I wasn't actually going to post those threads, I just cooked them up as examples; there's probably a high chance that a G'nG thread wouldn't last more than 2 posts. ;)
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Jetrooper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 pm

:lol: I like how you moved all the posts that mentioned Halo.
Jetrooper

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Look, someone was going to start a Halo thread, it's just a fact of forum life. But it makes sense, Halo has a huge following and people want to talk about it. It obviously warrants a thread.

I think Jettbacca might be missing the point here entirely. :? Flynn seems to get it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 pm

The key, of course, is balance. There needs to be a balance between discussing things of general, common interest, while at the same time maintaining some kind of integrity of the forums. Forums thrive on content, and when the driving force (Star Wars LEGO) is such a small niche, some allowances have to be made. If we ONLY talked about SW LEGO, we'd be gnawing the bones of old conversations within a fortnight, and FBTB would die.

So while HALO threads are inevitable, and perhaps even necessary, exercising restraint in the creation and use of such threads is vital, both for the overall health of the forum and for the sanity of the Mods/Admins. I gather that if there is restraint and sobriety in the usage of such threads, they'll be tolerated. N'est-ce pas?
knapplc

Postby dWhisper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Given the rules and guidelines, should we see people abusing this place, we'll simply kick them out.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:16 pm

But we're going to be more polite about it than we used to be. At least, we're going to try to.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:58 am

Eh, how about the movie goodness thread? That one had some quality in it yet.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Jedd the Jedi wrote:Eh, how about the movie goodness thread? That one had some quality in it yet.

I agree. I actually liked that thread because it kept me up on all the cinema news and helped me decide what movies to go see...oh well, I guess it's not that big of a deal.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Big C » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Personally, I think that starting a topic on one specific movie and having an entire conversation about it would be a very good thing for this forum. Movie talk is one of the bigger things in this community, so why not have individual topics for individual movies?

If you want to start a thread for a movie you really like, and it hasn't been done recently, do it. It'll likely get attention. Just make sure you're intelligent about it. Don't just be like, "OMG TEH DARK KNIGHT IS TEH R0X0RZ."

... Does anyone use "r0x0rz" anymore?
Big C

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Word up Tex. The problem with the general thread was it overflowed into others occasionally, and the rest of the time people were talking about three things at once. It was rather unpleasant.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Cali » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Halo sucks. All I have to say. ;)
Cali

Next

Return to BCS 2.0