Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

"Sci Fi" channel renames itself "SyFy"

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

"Sci Fi" channel renames itself "SyFy"

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:59 pm

I honestly wish I was joking, but I'm not. Came across this article via Penny Arcade: Link.

It's really sad to see Sci Fi going the way of MTV. I mean, honestly, in what possible way could wrestling be construed as "Science Fiction." Ghost Hunters? Reality shows in general? No. Just, no. There's a reason why I don't get the Sci Fi channel anymore, and this is it. There are only a couple shows worth watching (and one of them will be ending soon). The rest is crap.

On the plus side, the comment section on the bottom is full of win. I could quote several of the posts, but this one sums up my views pretty quickly:
Imagine Greater? Imagine a real Sci Fi net[work] with programming worth watching.

Edit: Here's the Official Press Release.
Last edited by theJudeAbides on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: "Sci Fi" channel renames itself "SyFy"

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, I read about this yesterday. I've yet to see a positive response. The only thing on the channel worth watching right now is BSG, and that's over on Friday anyways.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm in the same camp as you guys. It just won't effect me after about 2 and a half more days.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Odd.

Judging by that article, if the rationale is changing the name so it's less "geeky", why pick one that's different visually but is exactly the same as the old name verbally? They seem to think this is better because it's how "it should be texted" but ignoring an entire sense (speech) in your branding refresh is a little short-sighted.

m19
Morgan19

Postby lens314 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:51 pm

Solo wrote:Yeah, I read about this yesterday. I've yet to see a positive response. The only thing on the channel worth watching right now is BSG, and that's over on Friday anyways.

Exactly my thoughts.
lens314

Postby thepatient » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Another dinger for the English Language too. SyFy? Come on. What's next- the Hystery Channul?

I do like Ghost Hunters. They manage to prove ghosts don't exist every time I watch that show. Even when they tell a client their house is haunted.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:44 pm

OK, I haven't watched them on a while so I forgot they were on. That's the only other interesting show SciFi has. Until someone reminds me of any more I forgot somehow.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm

The few times I watched Eureka (before I stopped getting the channel), I was generally impressed. That's the only other show I could think of. The do show Dr. Who (it's the only channel in America that runs it), but we all know that that's a BBC original, so they don't really deserve credit for it.

What I find sad is that the best Sci Fi is on channels that have no respect for it. Fox has Terminator, Fringe, and Dollhouse; NBC has Heroes and possible Kings (not really sure if it counts as Sci-Fi); and ABC has Lost. Where was the Sci-Fi Channel when Firefly was canceled? Why didn't they swoop in and save that doomed show. And Terminator isn't doing so well in the ratings (which sucks). Why doesn't Sci-Fi channel seek out these great show makers and bring them into their network. Imagine a single network showing Terminator, Fringe, Heroes, and Lost. I might actually be willing to pay the extra $40 to get the channel then. But no, the find one show *coughStargatecough* and beat it until it dies, and then repeat (Battlestar Galactica being the latest victim).

I would love to see a channel emerge that's a bastion for all kinds of great Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows. A channel whose original programming pushes the boundary of what great Sci-Fi can and should be. But that'll just have to be another delusion that'll never come to pass in the money-grubbing world of show-biz. Sigh (figh on them)...
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Flynn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Well, they do deserve credit for picking up Mystery Science Theatre 3000 when Comedy Central dropped it, but then again, I heard those shows were never as good as they used to be, so who knows.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Masta' Bo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:37 pm

It would be cool to see the channel pick up scifi shows that are in less demand on major stations.

However, the said channel wastes its time changing its name and making horriblly-acter original movies.

I do enjoy Ghost Hunters, every once in a while, on a free day. The suspense is kinda cool, though totally fake.
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby Cali » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Lame. I think that sums it up pretty well. :p
Cali

Return to BCS 2.0