Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

For all you Americans

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: For all you Americans

Postby The Brain » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Wow...I haven't been active on here in months, which is highly unfortunate. Life just detracts from hobbies and non-essentials sometimes, and yeah. Here I am for anyone recognizing me. :p

jomandybri wrote:We were contemplating breaking into Skywalker Ranch and watching Episode I in 3D before it is released maybe? ;)

I would echo everyone else's suggestions, but what struck me was your small joke about breaking into Skywalker Ranch. I actually live in Marin County, and if your plans already include heading to San Francisco, I would highly, highly recommend making the trip across the Golden Gate Bridge and into Marin. Marin is beautiful, and if you're inclined to do out-doorsy type stuff there are many gorgeous local trails and state parks you can enjoy for a day or even just part of one. Marin has a lot of culture to it and has many ties to the SF Bay Area. I can't promise you'd catch a glimpse of George Lucas (though I do promise I've seen him around on a number of occasions, really), there's a lot of fun stuff you can do here, even without breaking into Skywalker Ranch. ;)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby jomandybri » Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 am

*Bump* This is slightly tangential, but also kinda on topic (well, sorta). I have no idea how in the heck I am going to do this, but I want to stock up on Star Wars... uhh, stuff, while I'm at the convention/am around the US. If I am in the US in LA, NY, etc for basically all of August, is there any way to tell in advance where the best place to buy some of this stuff is? I'm thinking a couple of UCS-ish sets just because they are so darn cheap compared to over here. Now I know I am sort of asking the impossible in terms of asking about prices months in advance, but is there a trend anyone knows of with certain stores having sales, is there a best place to get them, would the convention be best? Or even Lego stores (we don't have them in Aus :'( ). Sorry if this seems stupid, I thought I would put it out there in case anyone has any idea.

Thanks!!
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Flynn » Wed May 02, 2012 6:25 pm

There's a LEGO Store at the Kennedy Center in New York, which should have most, if not all, of the UCS sets.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed May 02, 2012 11:56 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say that if you're looking for currently available UCS sets, the convention will NOT be the time to get them. I'll agree with Flynn that you might be better off getting them from a LEGO store. I'm not sure how you'll get them back home, but that's not my problem. However, you could double up on suitcases - basically put your clothes into a small one (I'm assuming that you'll do some laundry while you're here) and put that suitcase into a larger one, then fill the larger one with your purchases during the trip. Then you have two on the flight back home.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby alldarker » Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 am

A little slightly off-topic perhaps, but I travel to the US about once and year and always make sure to stock up on Lego, either at the Walmarts and Targets (the cheap option) or the TRU and the Lego Store (the slightly more expensive option). Either way, I take the Lego out of the boxes and pack it into a suitcase to save up on space.

Now, I have noticed in recent trips, that closely packed Lego in a suitcase WILL almost certainly catch the attention of the TSA: the Transportation Security Administration. With that, I mean that your checked in suitcases and bags WILL be opened and searched. I guess that closely packed 'plastic ABS pellets' might resemble more nefarious contents, like explosives, and set off some alarm in the CT-scanners.
Anyhow, I personally think it's fine they check my baggage: I have nothing to hide and they always do an excellent job of repackaging. The only trace I usually find is that my T-shirts are stacked differently, that and a TSA standard information note in the bag.

However, do make sure that, if you lock your suitcase with Lego in it, you use a TSA approved lock which they can open without damaging it. Likewise, it's best you don't put anything in your suitcase that IS illegal!
alldarker

Postby AbstractedIdeal » Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 pm

alldarker wrote:Now, I have noticed in recent trips, that closely packed Lego in a suitcase WILL almost certainly catch the attention of the TSA: the Transportation Security Administration. With that, I mean that your checked in suitcases and bags WILL be opened and searched. [...] Anyhow, I personally think it's fine they check my baggage: I have nothing to hide and they always do an excellent job of repackaging.

The last time I packed LEGO in my suitcase, not all of the sets arrived at my final destination.

I strongly suggest taking a good inventory beforehand.
AbstractedIdeal

Postby tahdas » Sat May 26, 2012 7:38 pm

While in New York make sure ou try some macaroons! (wait do you have those?) And FOA schwarz they have some cool Lego builds there.
tahdas

Previous

Return to BCS 2.0