Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

83rd Annual Academy Awards

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

83rd Annual Academy Awards

Postby Flynn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:32 pm

So, who here was surprised to see King's Speech pick up Best Picture!?

*crickets chirp*

Okay, so yeah, pretty much no surprise in any of the major categories this year. Personally, I would've picked either Black Swan or Social Network for Best Picture, and either Jeff Bridges or Jesse Eisenburg for Best Actor, but whatcha gonna do.

So, I thought the Awards were particularly mediocre this year. I don't know why after last year's travesty they decided to continue with the two-hosts idea, hopefully this year'll convince them otherwise. Overall, there wasn't really anything special in the show- though I thought the habit of picking random films as examples of each award was rather odd, which is why Spielberg gets so many points in my book for his presentation speech. Kirk Douglas was easily the best part of the evening.

Also, the Academy fails forever for putting "Tonight" in their Best Score montage. Seriously, what was up with that?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Re: 83rd Annual Academy Awards

Postby onions » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:46 pm

i hadn't even heard of king's speech until the awards show. it didn't even ring a bell, like "oh yeah i remember seeing a commercial for that" or "seeing an ad for that". Nope, nada. Even after looking it up on IMDB to this day i wouldn't be able to tell you who was in it.

i'm kinda anti facebook so i'm a little surprised at how well received the social network was. and i still haven't seen black swan though it is on my list. kinda hard to get out of the house with a baby though. i did manage to see toy story 3 when it was in the theaer and was rooting for that one to win but alas, the oscars don't take kindly to animated features for best picture. like you said, whatcha gonna do.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Inzane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I can't believe Inception didn't win the award for best musical score. It was very powerful!

I saw Social Network, which happened to win that particular oscar, and though meh, its score was ok. But...

And why wasn't Tron Legacy nominated for more technology related categories? (such as, I dunno... visual effects!?). I think I only saw it nominated for one or two sound (mixing? editing?) related categories, and that was it. Boo.
Inzane

Postby Flynn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:16 am

Inzane wrote:I can't believe Inception didn't win the award for best musical score. It was very powerful!

Meh, although I thought Inception was brilliant, the score was easily the worst part of it for me- just typical Hans Zimmer all the way through, with his characteristic "BABABUMMMMMMM"'s and "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"'s drowning out the rest of the movie. No real sense of atmosphere or uniqueness to the score. Listen to any of his film scores, and then listen to anything by Bernard Hermann or Elmer Bernstein, and you'll see why I dislike him.

onions wrote:i hadn't even heard of king's speech until the awards show. it didn't even ring a bell, like "oh yeah i remember seeing a commercial for that" or "seeing an ad for that". Nope, nada. Even after looking it up on IMDB to this day i wouldn't be able to tell you who was in it.

Well, suffice to say it's pretty much Oscar bait, all the way through. It's the very best kind of Oscar bait I've ever seen, mind you, and it does feature some marvelous performances, but overall there wasn't anything "WOW"-ing about it. It was good, but not incredible.

onions wrote:i'm kinda anti facebook so i'm a little surprised at how well received the social network was. and i still haven't seen black swan though it is on my list.

Now I thought those two were incredible- Social Network took what could've been (and was, from what I've heard about it) a droll, boring story and made it compelling and engaging on a level I have not seen a movie of its kind really take on before. And then Jesse Eisenburg was nothing short of amazing in the lead role.

And Black Swan...absolutely amazing. From start to finish. It's one of the few films I've seen in a while (Along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and most of Bob Fosse's filmography) that just had me sit back in awe and amazement at what I had just witnessed. It's on an entirely different level of filmmaking, and one that is just completely and utterly incredible. And Natalie Portman...No comment needed. I would highly recommend the film.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Robzula » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 am

Flynn wrote:And Black Swan... I would highly recommend the film.

I'd highly recommend anything by Darren Aronofsky. He's just an amazing filmmaker.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Return to BCS 2.0