Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Legend of the Seeker/Sword of Truth

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Legend of the Seeker/Sword of Truth

Postby Zekk » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:48 pm

A few months ago I saw some ads for the TV Show "Legend of the Seeker". I found a behind-the-scenes and part of the first episode for free in iTunes. Only recently did I watch them, and I became intrigued, so when I discovered the series was based on books, I went and bought the first book, Wizard's First Rule. I loved it and bought the second and third books. I am now about 300 pages into the 979 page second one, Stone of Tears. Anyone else watch this series or read the books, and what do you think?
"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon
Zekk

Re: Legend of the Seeker/Sword of Truth

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:18 am

I read the first three or four books and was utterly bored. The characters are plastic and seem created for the purpose of the story, in no way real. I have probably not read a more misogynistic story than this, as the character of Kahlan was continuously violated or nearly so, placed in bondage or in some other way made to be some helpless damsel in distress which completely went against her character and alleged magical powers.

I found it to be full of the worst kinds of deus ex machina twists which were completely unbelieveable. At one time, if Richard castigated himself for making a "stupid error" one more time I was going to chuck the book at the wall. At another time if Kahlan had stripped naked again or done something so completely unlike the nature of a "queen of the world" as she purportedly was, I was going to do the same. If another character had faced a certain-death situation only to miraculously, naively, amazingly escape via previously hidden or unknown powers, I was about ready to scream.

I guess you could say I didn't like them. :)
knapplc

Postby Inzane » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Zekk wrote:so when I discovered the series was based on books, I went and bought the first book, Wizard's First Rule. I loved it and bought the second and third books. I am now about 300 pages into the 979 page second one, Stone of Tears. Anyone else watch this series or read the books, and what do you think?

I didn't even know there was a tv series, but my wife and I have read the entire series of books. Loved 'em! Well, not all of them, but most of them. Great series.

I enjoyed the series up until maybe the 5th book. Then it got quite ridiculous for a while. Then it got better for the last couple. But you really need to read up to the very last book to get proper "closure" on everything.

The first TWO books were the best of the series, IMO.

Is the tv series any good?
Inzane

Postby Flynn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Watched the first 5 minutes of an episode; staging, effects, and overall storyline felt like a LOTR rip-off, so I stopped watching it. That's all I have to say.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Zekk » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:55 am

I've only watched the first episode on Hulu, but I intend to watch more. The show is good in its own sense. There are a lot of differences from the book(the first season is only based on book 1). The special effects are kinda cheesey and the gar looks like a gargoyle with wings, and while a lot of events from the book are there, they happen much differently.
"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon
Zekk

Return to BCS 2.0