Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Horror Movies

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Horror Movies

Postby Robzula » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Well, it's getting close to Halloween again, and that means people are gonna want to start watching some scary movies. Unfortunately, horror films are, for the most part, notoriously garbage, so I figured we could help out our fellow FBTBers by putting up some suggestions for good horror movies.

My top suggestion isn't actually a movie, but a YouTube series called Marble Hornets. Alex, a film student working on a movie project, suddenly decides to destroy all of his tapes and move out of town. His friend J convinces him to give the tapes to him, which Alex agrees to under the condition that J never mentions the tapes to him again. Spooked by this, J stuffed the tapes in his closet and forgot about them until recently. Upon viewing the tapes, he found far more than he was looking for. This series has excellent production values, especially for having essentially no budget, and it's spectacularly prepare-to-not-sleep-for-a-few-days scary (just writing about it is getting me jumpy).

I'd also recommend 1408 and The Mist because they do a really good job at combining cheap scares, great story, and emotional impact.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Re: Horror Movies

Postby The Brain » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Not to disrespect anyone's taste in horror movies, but from what I remember, The Mist was lame. 1408 was alright, but it started to be a bit too strange by the end (though it was very creepy).

I'll have to come back with a list of horror movies. I love two types: genuine, crap-your-pants scary, and cheesy, this-is-so-terrible-it's-sidesplittingly-funny horror types. I haven't seen any trailers for any upcoming ones that look especially promising for either--anyone have any suggestions for upcoming horror movies?
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby TheBohrok » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:39 pm

You can try this list: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... 03105.html
I actually have yet to see any of those. Horror movies aren't my thing, but ever since I came across those, I thought I'd pass it along to those that enjoy them.
TheBohrok

Postby Bulls_Eye » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:54 pm

There are two types of scares in a movie. There's the easy "guy jumps out" scare, which is fairly easy, and makes it easier for other scares later, but doesn't last. The second scare is built up more, doesn't get the same "jump out of you seat" effect, but lasts a lot longer. This is the scare that has you scared to pick up your phone when you're home alone at night.

Notice I didn't mention gore. Gore by itself is not scary, which is why I don't really consider the Saw movies horror films. Think about the first person Freddie Krueger kills (Johnny Depp by the way). A huge geyser of blood shoots of of the bed. It's far more humorous than scary. This is not to say that the movie isn't scary, just that the gore isn't what does it.

The kind of scare I prefer depends on the mood I'm in. And if I'm watching it with a girl, I'm definitely going with frequent cheap scares that gets her to cling on to me. ;)
Bulls_Eye

Postby HoboBob1138 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Bulls_Eye wrote: The kind of scare I prefer depends on the mood I'm in. And if I'm watching it with a girl, I'm definitely going with frequent cheap scares that gets her to cling on to me. ;)

^THIS!!!! Lol, but seriously when on a date those are the best. I personally don't care for the "guy jumps out" movies. I want my horror to sneak up on me. This isn't always just with the movie itself. It also involves the music. Think about your favorite movie, and think of how well the music portrayed fear/joy/whatever.
No matter the distance, no matter how far
HoboBob1138

Postby onions » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:22 pm

TheBohrok wrote:You can try this list: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... 03105.html
I actually have yet to see any of those. Horror movies aren't my thing, but ever since I came across those, I thought I'd pass it along to those that enjoy them.

this is precisely what the op was NOT looking for: recommendations from someone who hasn't seen movies he/she is recommending.

a few of my favorites:

the shining
the descent, try and see the unedited uk version
the ring, though i've only seen it once, not sure how well it would play at home instead of in a packed theater with other people.

i said "a few of my favorites" but that might just be it in the horror/scare genre.

anyone seen drag me to hell? it's gotten such great reviews, its on my list of things to do. that one and paranormal activity.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby The Brain » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 pm

I very much liked Drag me to Hell. It was one of those well-constructed, well-acted "make-you-jump" films that doesn't have a whole lot of psychological/lingering substance to it. It's a great, 90-minute story with some nice startling sequences. I highly recommend it for a cheap thrill.

Paranormal Activity was superb for the first 95% of the film. Honestly, it was creepy and unnerving throughout, until the very very end, which IMHO, it was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I won't spoil it for you, but it really cheapens the suspense and mystery of it. Apparently there's an original ending that, when you think about it, makes sense not to have included in theaters (it's very long and doesn't have anything but a repetitive action--those who watch after having seen the film will understand), but it's more thought-provoking about the whole ordeal. If you choose to watch the film, make sure to watch with both endings.
The Brain

Postby Robzula » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:51 pm

I forgot to mention the currently playing movies that I've seen, Let Me In and My Soul to Take. Both were really good, but neither were really horror movies.

Let Me In is about a little girl (who happens to be a vampire) and a little boy (who happens to be a social outcast) who fall in love. It's a really good drama, but not a horror.

My Soul to Take on the other hand is... Well, at first I was like "What the hell is this crap?" with the random "Oh good he's dead OH WAIT NO HE ISN'T oh ok he is OH NO HE ISN'T well we're all safe now OH CRAP THE VAN RANDOMLY EXPLODED!" but then I started to realize the movie wasn't entirely taking itself seriously (and as such the viewer shouldn't) and yet still managed to have a pretty good story with some really good acting. Again, it wasn't all that scary, but it was fun.

As for Drag Me to Hell, it had some pretty scary stuff, it had a decent story, but I don't really get why the critics go crazy for it... I did like it, however. I mean, there's a scene where a lady gets an anvil dropped on her head and cartoon eyes pop out of her face. (by the way, this one doesn't take itself seriously either)
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Ah, Let Me In is based on Let the Right One In, a fabulous foreign drama. Same idea, also not a horror movie, but really great to watch. I'm looking forward to that now that I know about it. XD
The Brain

Postby Robzula » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:10 pm

The Brain wrote:Ah, Let Me In is based on Let the Right One In, a fabulous foreign drama. Same idea, also not a horror movie, but really great to watch. I'm looking forward to that now that I know about it. XD

Actually from what I've seen of Let the Right One In, they're pretty scene for scene, which is rare for adaptations.

Speaking of which, another great movie (though this one's more of a.... I suppose a slasher flick) which was originally an Austrian movie and was then refilmed scene for scene in English is Funny Games. It's about a wealthy family who are on vacation in their summer home, which is miles away from civilization and doesn't even have telephone service, when they get kidnapped by and play "games" with (read: are tortured by)two young gentlemen who claim to be the neighbor's boys. And it's downright hilarious.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:50 pm

I swear I've seen parts of that movie, but don't distinctly remember it...you're talking about the American version, right?
The Brain

Postby Robzula » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:17 am

As far as I've heard, the Austrian and American versions are the exact same outside of language, setting, and actors.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby HoboBob1138 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:31 am

I saw Let Me In last Saturday. I highly recommend it as it was very good. There weren't many scary parts per say, but it falls in the vampire genre.
HoboBob1138

Postby thepatient » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:46 am

Anything by Sam Raimi is good. Drag Me to Hell is right in the with the Evil Dead series of horror and humor. The Evil Dead DVDs have the best commentaries ever. Sam Raimi totally makes fun of his own movies along with Bruce Cambell.

As far as scary movies, I have to go with Hostel and The Strangers. Horror films that could actually occur are the scariest in my opinion. Both of these movies make you squirm when watching them. Wolf Creek is a good nail biter too; with lots of sick humor.

Paranormal Activity is pretty good, not scary, but does well on the creepy factor. If you like Blair Witch, which I do, then you'll like this movie.

The Blair Witch Project is good on DVD. The bonus Sci-Fi channel material ranks up there with the movie itself. Interesting watch if you like bonus features. This extra does a gret job of melding the movie and the folklore together

As far as classics... I like The Exorsist. Not so scary , but the psychology and religious undertones are great for re-watchability.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby The Brain » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 pm

thepatient wrote:Horror films that could actually occur are the scariest in my opinion.

This.

I'm usually not a fan of extremely violent horror films (Saw, etc.) that attempt to just use the violence and perhaps limited psychological intrigue to get scares across. I have nothing against the super-violence in some movies when it's done properly, but I tend to notice that really great horror films don't use obscene amounts of gore and torture/extreme violence to send chills up your spine. I've also noticed that the movies that tend be more grounded in reality (or at least realistic possibility) are far creepier and tend to rely less on the "gore factor" of many current horror films.

Anyone have good suggestions for this type of movie?
The Brain

Postby thepatient » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Actually, I always thought of Saw (at least the first one) as more of a gory "whodunnit." Later, the Saw movies were more satire of the first, and borrowed more from usual horror genre like Friday the 13th and Halloween.

I can see what your saying about the watcher using his/her imagination to get the scare. There are movies that have done a great job with that take- Psycho and the first 80% of Jaws come to mind. I like the gore though, it can be just as effective in many cases. the blood sprays on the Evil Dead movies are always good and over the top.

Another good horror classic is House from around 1986 or 87. It's pretty funny too.Though some parts seem a little dated, it holds up well for the most part. The first one is good, the second, one not so much.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Robzula » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:25 pm

thepatient wrote:Another good horror classic is House from around 1986 or 87. It's pretty funny too.Though some parts seem a little dated, it holds up well for the most part. The first one is good, the second, one not so much.

Oh god, as a kid I was always scared to death of opening the doors in my house because of that movie.

The Brain wrote:I've also noticed that the movies that tend be more grounded in reality (or at least realistic possibility) are far creepier and tend to rely less on the "gore factor" of many current horror films.

Anyone have good suggestions for this type of movie?

I can't really think of many horror movies outside of slasher flicks that use overly much gore... Every movie stated so far would fall in the "not obscenely gory" category. As for movies that could really happen... I'm not so keen on those myself. Give me a monster or demon or whatever over a serial killer any day.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:35 pm

I've always preferred older horror films, mainly for the fact that most of them focus more on suspense and tension rather than gore and violence, and even when they do divulge in gore, there's a sort of class and elegance about it.

That being said, though, I really haven't had the chance to watch that many horror films, mostly just a handful of older classics. As far as suspenseful films go, the ones I remember that had me on the edge of my seat were The Birds and Jaws. Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? is also very good, and then of course there's Psycho, which I honestly haven't seen recently enough to really remember how suspenseful or tense it was.

If you're looking for humorous horror films, I would definitely recommend the original The Little Shop of Horrors and The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Both can be downright hilarious at times.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby HoboBob1138 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:23 pm

I would recommend the musical Little Shop of Horrors edition for even more funny horror.
HoboBob1138

Postby Flynn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 pm

HoboBob1138 wrote:I would recommend the musical Little Shop of Horrors edition for even more funny horror.

I equate the musical as less horror and more sci-fi, though it really has fair elements of both.

The movie annoys me, though, because it's absolutely terrific right up till the end, where they ignore the stage version's ending and go with a cop-out happy ending. Seriously, if they had just stuck with the original ending, it would've been a great film, but no, they had to go and put in this sickeningly happy one because test audiences didn't like the original...

Still, even besides the ending, I think I still would prefer the original. I just think it has more humor, more well-developed characters (Mushnik in particular is so much better in the original), and just works better than the musical version. Of course, the two films are almost completely different, so it's really rather fruitless to be comparing them.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Next

Return to BCS 2.0