Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is looking hot 'n sexy

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is looking hot 'n sexy

Postby theJudeAbides » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:30 pm

So, I finally got around to updating my machine to Lucid Lynx from my old and trusted Hardy Heron:

It was probably mainly due to laziness that it took me so long to update, but I'm very happy with the results. Things look and feel a lot smoother. Since it set a lot of things to default settings, I'm still in the process of re-customizing my layout. Also, it removed some of my shortcut icons on the top panel, so I'll have to look into re-creating those (I had even found/edited a custom icon for MLCad). Oh well, there's always a few things lost in major updates, and this WAS a major update.

The whole thing took like 30-45 minutes just to download the necessary files and then another hour to hour and a half to install. But overall, I definately feel it was worth it. I was happy to see that I didn't have to manually compile and install the sound drivers as I used to have to do in Hardy after every update (another reason I wasn't all that gung-ho on updates). However, I did hit a minor snafu when I discovered flash videos (e.g. youtube) weren't playing sound (although other sounds would play). This turned out to be pretty easy to fix, and things were flowing smoothly in pretty short order.

All in all, I'm continually happy with my choice of Ubuntu (and thus Linux) over Windows. It runs smoother, I don't have to bother with anti-virus software as it's already built in (plus, Ubuntu is far more secure than Windows will ever hope to be). Open Source: the way to better computing!
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is looking hot 'n sexy

Postby fredjh » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Finally upgrading... that's so, like, two months ago.

I'm happy with it. 3GB isn't enough to run vmware to run LDD, though... when I set the vitual machine to use just 1.5GB my system thrashes, so I still dual boot for a few things.

You can run LDD with wine, although I haven't tried it in a while, and when I did the fonts were all messed up (but usable).

Of course you can run other programs (like LDRAW) natively I think, right? Haven't tried.
fredjh

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is looking hot 'n sexy

Postby theJudeAbides » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah, I know, I know it's not exactly new news, but it's new to me (I did this last night).

As for LEGO software, yeah, LDD never really worked that great before, but it did work well enough for me to determine it wasn't for me. It's part organization (and lack of customization options) as well as it's lack of a lot of parts (much worse than LDRAW) was it's biggest turn-off for me. If I'm going to use LEGO software, I want the parts library to be as complete as possible. LEGO's policy of "only the parts we have in stock are available" is complete BS in my opinion.

MLCad, though, has always worked like a dream, even though I'm running it via Wine (To my knowledge, there is no native-Linux LEGO construction software available, which makes me has a :'(). Still as good as MLCad works, I can't complain too much. I do wonder though, as open source as the whole LDRAW community seems to be, why the software developers don't follow suit and release the source code for programs.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Return to BCS 2.0