Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Inception

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Inception

Postby TheBohrok » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:02 am

I went to see Christopher Nolan's new movie Inception last night. I've been looking forward to this for months, and I was not disappointed. There were some great edge-of-your-seat moments, and it's just a great thriller. I'd say give it a shot if you're a fan of any of his other films. Did anyone else see it yet? What did you think?
TheBohrok

Re: Inception

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:57 pm

I saw it on Saturday and let me say - me avoiding nearly all information on this film was so worth it. I've always liked Nolan and it was good to see him make something that creates such a big impact on release and doesn't have a bat in (although I do love those films).

I struggle to find a major fault in it - everything fell into place perfectly, so much so I forgot I'd been sat there for two and a half hours. In a summer where pretty much every blockbuster has been a dud and a year where the should-be-greats have failed (Lovely Bones, Invictus), it was refreshing to have something that exceeded the hype.

Spoiler: show
And that final shot. There was a pretty large gasp in my showing.
Master Fetty

Postby Solo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, and Fetty, same thing happened. That was a well shot scene.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Everyone I know says it was the best movie in over a year, but I got bored halfway through. It was decent but I wouldn't be pissed if I never saw it.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm

You never fail to live up to your screen name. :lol:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:32 am

I just saw it and thought that it was great. The action sequences were fantastic, and I thought pretty innovative. Although I had the major points predicted pretty closely by the end of the first hour, it didn't detract from the experience. I definitely recommend everyone go see this movie.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Coret » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:17 pm

I went to see this movie, it was good, but I felt it dragged at parts. I think they tried to explain too much, so that the average person could understand everything. Some of it could have been skipped over or explained alot easier.

I also didn't expect to go to this movie and see Ocean's 14: Dreamworld. It ended up more about a criminal team than I liked. But the characters were good and Christopher Nolan didn't disappoint. Overall, I enjoyed The Prestige and Memento better than this, but it was still good.
Coret

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Saw it the other day, thought it was really good. I was slightly disappointed in not leaving the cinema with more questions. It might be the subject matter, but I was mulling over Donnie Darko constantly for weeks after I saw it. I left Inception just accepting the ending, when it seemed like Nolan wanted the audience to be thinking it over more.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Master Fetty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:54 pm

I watched it for a second time last weekend and it completely changes your view on the bigger picture - I've had a complete reverse of what I thought the totem at the end meant.

And it is still as breathtaking as before - the action had my heart-pounding yet again and delving into Cobb's past was more emotive the second time. I certainly like this film a lot more than another recent big release here the UK that people are raving about.
Master Fetty

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Solo wrote:You never fail to live up to your screen name. :lol:

Haha parts of it were interesting but didn't keep me glued to it.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Robzula » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:03 pm

I just saw this today and it was really great, but I just have two little things that are irking me:
(I'll throw up spoilers here because while this mostly doesn't spoil the plot, it may spoil someone's first time watching it because their conceptions of the movie are going to be swayed)
First off is something not about the movie itself, but the marketing, the critics, and the viewers. It was marketed as a big mind-screw, so since the movie turned out good, the critics went along with it and said it was a big mind-screw, which then made people seeing the movie think it was going to be a big mind-screw so they started making up questions and skewing the facts the meet their interpretations, when really it was pretty straight forward until my second problem:

The whole "did the top fall over or did it keep going" thing at the end. It felt really tacked on and just there so even the people following along with the plot who didn't find anything all that confusing would be thrown a curveball. It really had no substance other than this purpose since it's the only real reason we have to question if what we see is really what's happening in-universe.

(now for real plot spoilers)
The whole top thing doesn't leave a whole lot to question anyways, just offers a few possible endings.
1. The top falls over, he's in his real reality, everything's good (the ending I prefer since it follows Dom's character better)
2. The top keeps going, Dom is in limbo and recreated the world so he'd see it as the reality he knew before going into the dreams. This is the end that my friends prefer since that makes the movie dark and edgey and profound... although it throws away Dom's character. For example, he could have at any time created a dream where he and Mal and the kids were all there and happy, or he could have stayed in limbo instead of convincing Mal to kill herself with him, or he could have looked at his kids' faces when he and Ariadne were limbo; Instead, he didn't want to live in a world that wasn't real and waited until he could make his way to go back to them in the real world.

All things aside, it was still a fantastic movie.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby meeotch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:52 pm

I looked up the plot yesterday on Wikipedia (after having all ready seen it) and it said something about how the top can be heard falling down during / after the credits, though I didn't stay through them (runpee.com said there was no scene after the credits and left it at that). If this is true, then I think it pretty much settles the debate.
meeotch

Postby Robzula » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:40 am

Ah, see there you go. No real mind-screw to it at all. I did notice the top start to wobble, but they cut before it falls or restabilizes. I also didn't stay through the credits because I really had to use the bathroom (I work at the theatre so I get free soda and make good use of it), so thanks for the info.

Edit: You sure you saw it on Wikipedia? If so, it's been replaced with a quote of Nolan saying that the ending is up to you to decide... I guess he really wanted to throw a curve ball but just pulled it off in the most obvious, inelegant way. Would've thought a guy as gloriously praised as he is could've come up with something deeper than that...

Or it could be he knew audiences wanted something like that but he writes stories logically with everything tied up and he didn't want to massively change the script. That's the pity with big name blockbuster movies, they cost a LOT so they have to tailor the movie to what's going to bring back that cash (which is why indy films are more often a breath of fresh air than Hollywood movies).
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Cali » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Cobb looked at his kids faces, which he had stated before that he would never look at their faces in a dream. The top didn't fall, but only he knows how it acts in a dream or outside of one, so he knew that it wasn't a dream by looking at the top.
Cali

Postby thepatient » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm glad I saw this movie before reading these last few posts.

There is a certain element that's no one has mentioned. There's more to the ending than what's discussed. You really have to go back into the movie to tie all of it together. I'm not going to do the spoiler thing- so I'll leave it at that.

I will say-go see the movie. It's good.

Just take it easy on the sodas. At 2+ hours; you'll be lost on the plot if you have to pee during the film. It's worth bustin' the bladder until the end.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby meeotch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Robzula wrote:Edit: You sure you saw it on Wikipedia? If so, it's been replaced with a quote of Nolan saying that the ending is up to you to decide... I guess he really wanted to throw a curve ball but just pulled it off in the most obvious, inelegant way.

Well, I did see it on there when I checked on that day, but I'm glad I gave the two caveats that I didn't see that in the credits myself and that it was on Wikipedia. It could have been put up by a vandal having a little fun, or it could have been an honest error, or taken out by someone in error. I plan to rewatch this film, though it will probably not happen until it comes out on dvd. Anyone going for a rewatch care to confirm this?
meeotch

Postby Robzula » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Well, when I was cleaning out the auditorium this movie was in yesterday, I made sure to listen for the top toppling, but unless it happened in the first 20 seconds (the seconds when most people are still just getting up and would have heard it), neither me nor my coworker could hear it.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby meeotch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 pm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 609AA4YXdI

That link has people discussing this very thing. A few people are mentioning it happening at what I interpret to be the beginning of the credits (that chaotic period you described) and used a line from the movie that may (or may not) support the fact that the sound was deliberately included.
meeotch

Return to BCS 2.0