Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Back to the Future day (not) today

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Back to the Future day (not) today

Postby hatcher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Anyone remember what date Marty and Doc set on the time machine when they went into the future at the end of Back to the Future? Yep, it was July 6th, 2010. World's a bit different than what they depicted eh?

I would love to see a sequel made where a teen from today got sent back to the 80's. I think there would be a lot of humor in seeing a teen from today trying to navigate the 80's. No internet? No cell phones? You mean I have to actually talk to people????
Last edited by hatcher on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Re: Back to the Future day today

Postby Chief » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:19 pm

NO, it sure wasn't.
Chief

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:36 pm

hatcher wrote:World's a bit different than what they depicted eh?

Is it? Is it really? It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but here's what I remember: At one point in time he walks (or skateboards) past a theater showing Jaws 6 (or some such)... in 3D. Stupid, pointless sequels and remakes of 80s shows/movies in 3D? That sounds EXACTLY like the world of today.

I also seem to recall in their future corporations were run amok, kids pursued even more pointless fads, and the fashions were just as ridiculous as those of the 80s. So tell me, how is any of that different than what's ACTUALLY happening in our society today?

You know, I used to think Back to the Future was just a fun little science-fiction story, but I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't actually a documentary meant to warn us of our possible future. Unfortunately, nobody took it serious enough and look at where we are now. :facepalm:
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby The Brain » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:40 pm

No, it's totally an accurate depiction.

*gets on hover-skateboard and zooms off*

;)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby hatcher » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Chief wrote:NO, it sure wasn't.

Man, I hate getting punked. :x
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby Master Fetty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:09 pm

I've not watched the films in a while, but wasn't there some mention of planning to go 2010, but then Doc decided to go the full 30 years forward? Hence the confusion.
Master Fetty

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am

Warning, since I haven't watched the movie in a while, exact dialogue is paraphrased, but the point stands:

In BTTF, before the Libyans arrive, kill Doc and cause Marty to travel back to 1955, Doc said something about knowing the winners of the World Series for the next 25 years, which could lead people to think 1985 + 25 = 2010. At the end of BTTF, Marty asks Doc how far forward he's going, and Doc says "Oh about 30 years."

Besides, any true fan knows that Back to the Future Day was actually October 26, 1985, the date of the first successful test of Doc Brown's time machine when he sent his dog 1 minute into the future. ;)
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby JPCJedi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:30 pm

hatcher wrote:
Chief wrote:NO, it sure wasn't.

Man, I hate getting punked. :x
Hey, the fooled CNN too.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Re: Back to the Future day (not) today

Postby thepatient » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:55 am

Still... its interesting to think about. Last year I got Escape from New York which had a plot that Manhattan Island would be a giant prison by 1997. As a kid I loved that movie, seeing it again, it was funny watching about 12 years after this "never happened". The really weird bit is when Snake has to land on the World Trade Center which was still there in 1997, but was not there as I watched in a post 9/11 reality.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Marty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Loved the first movie, it had invention written all over it, clever, witty and down right brilliant!
However the silly bugger that wrote the second one should have been committed, it was rubbish!
Honestly, first off, the girl changed, Doc got a little too serious, and Marty just fell into the same old pattern as the first, and went down hill from there.
Sorry but this wasn't what most had hoped for. The only good thing to come out of that movie was the flying delorean.
However saying that didn't stop me from buying the box set?
They had, like you said, the other years t choose from, and a possible future to play with, and they could have done so much with the sequel than they did.

An what about uncle Jail-bird Joey, did he still do time?
Marty

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Technically, the flying Delorean was in the first movie. And the female lead changed because the original took a hiatus to care for her sick mom. Something perfectly understandable, and way better than Marty's dad, who just wanted too much money. The second is my least favorite of the three, but it has its moments. They shoehorned a whole lot more in there that didn't really need to be there, like the whole way overused "chicken" thing.

It's funny in retrospective to look at the thing and realize exactly how far off some of the non-predictions were. Like the fact that they were using a newspaper to track the future, that no one had cell phones, and the internet was unheard of. That and everyone in the hollywood future dresses like they've suffered a head injury in a crayola factory.

If anything, I want the self drying and sizing jacket. Well, and the hoverboard. But mostly the jacket.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Well, looks like BTTF2 could be happening soon after all.

Self-Tightening Shoes

I want 'em, despite fears of the mechanics malfunctioning and slicing off my feet.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Return to BCS 2.0