Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A plea for Windows 7 tech help...(Have I locked myself out?)

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

A plea for Windows 7 tech help...(Have I locked myself out?)

Postby JPCJedi » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Okay, get all the "Macs are better" snickering out of your system. I only ever claimed PCs were cheaper!

I can't seem to open the "power options" dialog from the taskbar or control panel...and I can't open the volume control menu...or adjust screen brightness...or access the internet...

The short version is it seems my netbook has disabled all administrator privileges across all my local user accounts. I know how this looks, and I've got Norton antivirus scanning right now, but...is there any chance I did this to myself by accidentally changing some settings?

All I know is I left the computer in sleep mode, but at some point it did a full reboot on its own, thus implementing these new settings. Is this computer infected, or have I just done something stupid with the settings?

Tips, advice, mercy, and canned ham would be greatly appreciated.

It's an HP Mini netbook with Windows 7 starter.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Re: A plea for Windows 7 tech help...(Have I locked myself out?)

Postby darthsantkuyl » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:44 am

i would try doing a system restore if you can access it, sometimes my gadgets and stuff on my desktop go wrong and it works for me.
I lost my glasses and all I got was this lousy Megablok
darthsantkuyl

Re: A plea for Windows 7 tech help...(Have I locked myself out?)

Postby JPCJedi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:55 pm

It seems to have worked! :D

For the record, I did try to use system restore in the first place, but I it was giving me an error message. I had to go looking for the "restore factory settings" option. I clicked that, but it gave me all the regular restore points anyway that preserved my files. Can't complain. [I use a flash drive; almost nothing was at risk anyway.]

It's also worth noting that, after I'd set the display options to magnify DPI to 125% to cope with the smaller screen, Windows neglects to autocorrect some dialog boxes and displays some yes/no buttons offscreen. I have to click the screen-rotate button to access them with the mouse. So that issue may have contributed to my trouble finding the factory-settings button in system restore.

Somebody really needs to make a small-screen version of Windows that works well. (I know, there's the Windows smart phones, but there must a reason they're unpopular...or just uncommon.)

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and it looks okay from here out. *sigh*
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Return to BCS 2.0