Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

How Nintendo spanked Microsoft (an E3 2010 tale)

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: How Nintendo spanked Microsoft (an E3 2010 tale)

Postby Flynn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:Microsoft=software? In what bizarro alternate-universe are you living in? Name one piece of Microsoft software that isn't bug-ridden crash-ware, and if you mention anything rhyming with "Schmindows," I'm gonna have to :lol: at you. Hard.

Windows XP. 5 years running smoothly without any major crashes yet. It's not as good as some other OS's I've been on, but it's far from being "bug-ridden crash-ware". ;)

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, Vista has also been running smoothly for a couple years now, and is probably the fastest computer I've been on (And that includes Linux and 2 Apple OS's).
Last edited by Flynn on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Master Fetty » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:06 am

theJudeAbides wrote:Who has single-handedly altered the way we play games? That's right, it's Nintendo.

Who has irritating fan-boys who yack on and on when the discussion is over? Who is unable to see an argument from another perspective? That's right, it's Nintendo.

Who hates everything that he doesn't have in his front room? That's right, it's Jude. ;)

All in good fun Jude, btw.

3D is a gimmick. And yet that is lasting. I think to say the Wii's motion sensor isn't a gimic is naive. But just because it's a gimmick doesn't mean its not good/fun.
Master Fetty

Postby The Brain » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Flynn wrote:Windows XP. 5 years running smoothly without any major crashes yet. It's not as good as some other OS's I've been on, but it's far from being "bug-ridden crash-ware". ;)

^Seconded. In addition, my Windows 7 has been running absolutely beautifully, and has a lot of nice features. I've actually never experienced a computer as fast as the one I'm currently typing on. :)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby darthsantkuyl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:
darthsantkuyl wrote:Nintendo=games Xbox=software Sony=hardware

Microsoft=software? In what bizarro alternate-universe are you living in? Name one piece of Microsoft software that isn't bug-ridden crash-ware, and if you mention anything rhyming with "Schmindows," I'm gonna have to :lol: at you. Hard.

Other than that, I'll agree with you. Nintendo has always had the best games, and up until the last generation (GCN, PS2, X-Box), had the best hardware. Sony has since picked up the hardware slack. I've never thought the PS3 had an unreasonable price, particularly given the price of a standalone Blu-Ray player. For what you get, it's actually a pretty good deal. It's just that Sony overestimated the market penetration of HD tvs and the desire to purchase HD movies. Now, this has changed since it's initial release, but the damage has already been done. To be honest, if I had the money, I would have gotten the PS3 as a second console (along with an HD tv). However, the 360 has always stunk of failure-prone hardware, buggy software, and an uninteresting list of console exclusives (which is actually quite short). Really, for HD gaming, one is best off getting a PC, which makes the PS3 and 360 look like the Wii (or worse) by comparison. If graphics are so important to you, you should own a $3000, top-of-the-line rig with a monitor that makes a ballpark jumbo-tron look like an iphone.

The successes of the 360 this generation has more to do with the mistakes of Sony (and percieved mistakes of Nintendo) than it does with the "successes" of Microsoft. But we all know who the clear winner was this generation. THEY were the innovators that had the foresight to see the future of gaming. The so-called "hardcore gamers" LOVED to dismiss it as a stupid gimmick that would never last, yet here we are in 2010 and who is copying whom? Who is STILL selling more consoles than they can produce? Who has single-handedly altered the way we play games? That's right, it's Nintendo.

xbox live is so far the best online gaming experience thats one of the reasons for xbox's success.
I lost my glasses and all I got was this lousy Megablok
darthsantkuyl

Postby Captain Typo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Haw, haw! Haw! Gotta love people who criticize without carrying out any research:

theJudeAbides wrote:Oh, one last thing: a new RROD-box 360. K, bye.

This new iteration doesn't have the RROD problem. However, that's not even anything new. The more recent waves of the "360 Originals" were outfitted with equipment that abolished the RROD issue...

Second of all, I had to take some issue with the following:
theJudeAbides wrote:Really, for HD gaming, one is best off getting a PC, which makes the PS3 and 360 look like the Wii (or worse) by comparison. If graphics are so important to you, you should own a $3000, top-of-the-line rig with a monitor that makes a ballpark jumbo-tron look like an iphone.

Because I, while caring about graphics much... And by that I mean very, very much (the italics and extra "very" up the emphasis ante so much :P)... Anyway, while good graphics are a high factor for me, I'd much rather pay about 1/10 of that price you listed there (not including the price of the huge screen and small country you'd need to house it) for graphics that are just short of lifelike HD, instead of amazing, blow-your-mind-and-your-bank-account-away HD... Because I know that neither I nor my parents have $3000 to throw about. But thanks to the relatively low price of consoles, I was able to afford one while getting my "nice" graphics at the same time... So, for once, I could have my lie and eat it, too... (I know, that joke's been dead for years.)

And, finally:
theJudeAbides wrote:All while all the X-Bots [cried] themselves to sleep.

He also wrote:Also, after years of abuse at the hands of PS3 and X-Box fans calling the Wii a "kiddie toy" and labeling motion controls as "gimmicks"...

I find it... Fascinating that you've type-casted all who own 360s to be Halo-crazed, Xbox-only fascists, who, unless it's Xbox-related, don't have an open mind at all when it comes to video games... That said, Jude, I'll probably implode your mind with what I'm about to say... Call your loved ones, let 'em know... Done? They're on their way with the paramedics? Cool. Here we go...

In my house, there is not only a 360... But also a Wii! :O And do you know what? I like 'em both! And although it sounds crazy, there are other people who are the same way (you, apparently, are not one of them), not only between 360 and Wii, but with Playstation as well! So while I understand you may have some serious Wii bias goin' on at your end of the argument, I just wanted to clear up that just because people own another console, doesn't mean they're biased towards it too... Anyway...

I've got a couple days of the G4 coverage of the E3 sitting on the DVR, but I only watched a fraction of the KOTOR presentation before I got bored (my computer is not even close to being able to run it, plus there's no way I'm paying monthly for that, so it's not relevant to me)... Other than that, I've just picked up bits of news on the internet, and that's all I know.

I heard about Nintendo's 3DS presentation. I haven't seen it in action, but I've heard the graphics will be much better thank those of the current DS (thank goodness). They've also been touting the camera's capability to take 3D pictures, but unless they get the quality higher than 4 mega pixels or whatever it is right now, I'm not too fazed by that feature...

I also heard that Sony's got the PSN+ and the Move, in addition to some forthcoming 3D capabilities (thanks again, Jimmy C.) that will only work on 3DTVs... I've told numerous friends that I'm curious as to how that will pan out, considering that there are like 11 people on the face of the earth that actually own such TVs. :lol:

Then Microsoft had their new 360... so cool, except- wait, I've already got one. And then the Kinect seems like it'll be pretty good, if done right... But the key word there is "if"... :/ Since I haven't seen presentations of any of the aforementioned "innovations", and am too lazy to watch TV (another mind-numbing sentence!), I have yet to pass any further personal judgement... I guess I'll find out more this fall... Except for the new DS. I'll have to wait 'till next year for that.
"Yippie-ki-yay, my friend."

-John McLane, Die Hard With a Vengeance- The TV Edit
Captain Typo

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you

Postby Joedward » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:36 pm

I find it strange that Jude barely mentioned Sony in his first post, or at least in the same respects to Microsoft. You slag Microsoft off for how unoriginal Kinect is, but you ignore Sony who flat out copied the Wiimote.

Also, I too have both an XBox and Wii in the house, I also like them both, diferent games, different reasons, different merits, both still fun.

And your $3000 esimation of a scratch built PC is crap, it can be done properly for well under half that price.

Oh, and Captain Typo, if you don't treat them right, the origianls will still Red Ring on you, the later versions were built to help, but not remove the problem. And the new one may not RROD, but it does RDOD. The only diference being that when the new one fails it gives you a warning, before the power dot inside of the ring glows red.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby RocketClone » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I too have a Xbox 360 and a wii, in fact im making this post on the wii right now.
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby Captain Typo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Joedward wrote:Oh, and Captain Typo, if you don't treat them right, the originals will still Red Ring on you...

Well, yes, that's true, but I would think any console would start to malfunction if mistreated, yes?

Joedward, lord of the Jigame wrote: And the new one may not RROD, but it does RDOD. The only diference being that when the new one fails it gives you a warning, before the power dot inside of the ring glows red...

Well, when you say it does RDoD, are you saying it with absolute knowledge that the system will fail? Since no average person has really had any extensive experience with the new one, no one can really say whether it will fail, and vice-versa. Maybe, thanks to the new venting system, it won't have any problems, and all the RDoD will be is a would-be warning mechanism... But, like I said, time will tell...
"Yippie-ki-yay, my friend."

-John McLane, Die Hard With a Vengeance- The TV Edit
Captain Typo

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you

Postby cdl444 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:11 pm

I think that the wii is a good system and all, but the fps games for it arent very good. I got an xbox360 mainly because I could get halo and cod.
cdl444

Previous

Return to BCS 2.0