Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

How Nintendo spanked Microsoft (an E3 2010 tale)

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

How Nintendo spanked Microsoft (an E3 2010 tale)

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:40 am

So Microsoft came out and was all like, "Hey look, another Halo and Gears of War that provide absolutely no innovation and are exactly the same as their predecessors" followed by, "Look at all these games for Kinetic (formerly Natal) that are blatent rip-offs of 4-year-old Nintendo games!" Now, let's watch some people flailing about like idiots! Oh, one last thing: a new RROD-box 360. K, bye.

Everyone in the crowd was like: :facepalm: Meanwhile, I was busy :lol: my pants off, all while all the X-Bots :'( themselves to sleep).

The next day Nintendo was all like, "It's all about the games, fools! What games, you ask? Hows about a new Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Goldeneye? What more could you possibly want? A new DS with 3D capabilities and a Kid Icarus game? Done! Oh, and here's a bunch of other games from several third parties as well. We'll leave you to wrap your brain around all this awesomesauce. Enjoy!"

Everyone in the crowd was like: :shock: :O and I was all like XD while the X-Bots continued to :'(.

Unfortunately I missed the Sony show somehow but heard it was pretty decent (nowhere near the trainwreck that was Microsoft's). Nobody thought Nintendo's embarrassing 2008 show could ever be topped, but Microsoft just went ahead and proved everybody wrong. Great job, guys!!

And then up comes Zappa and I was like "Yo, Zappa, what's up?" and he was like "nothing" and I'm like "that's cool"... :cool:
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: How Nintendo spanked Microsoft (an E3 2010 tale)

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:01 am

For a non-obsessive, what exactly did Microsoft do wrong and Nintendo do SO right?

And preferably from someone who isn't renowned for his extremely biased opinions (Jude) ;) .
Master Fetty

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 am

theJudeAbides wrote:"Hey look, another Halo and Gears of War that provide absolutely no innovation and are exactly the same as their predecessors"

That's debatable. I, for one, love the Haloz, even if the bulk of the franchise's fan-base is made up of intolerable troglodytes. I am equally excited about a Zelda designed from the ground up for the Wii.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby The Brain » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:44 am

The only thing I heard about E3 that really interested me at all was the Nintendo news, since I have only a Wii (not a Nintendo fanboy, but that's all I really paid attention to). I heard that the kinetic thing is a major rip off of the Wii system's functions, and is probably not going to be very successful. I'm pretty stoked for a new Donkey Kong Country, since I remember my older bro playing the originals on the SNES. I had been hoping for a Pikmin 3 announcement, though. Oh well, you can't have everything.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:15 am

This is all I really cared about. But that 3DS sounds interesting. Too good to be true honestly.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:51 am

Yeah, I'm pyched about Portal 2 and the return of GLaDOS as well.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Joedward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 pm

The 3DS is so gonna be a launch day buy for me. I can not wait to own it and what is already proving to be a truly fantastic library of games.

Having never played Lylat Wars I think I may actually be looking forward to Star Fox the most, just to see what it's all about. It looks like great fun.
And then of course there's Mario Kart, and Zelda and I just want to play them all now.

I am very curious to see how much the thing changes before final production though, I think it looks great already, but I bet it'll look better by the end of the year (assuming, of course, it comes out before Christmas, which I've heard it might)

And WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PORTAL 2. Gonna be epic.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby The Brain » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Wait, Nintendo announced a new Starfox? Is that on the 3DS or the Wii?
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Joedward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 pm

~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Thunder-blade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Eh, not really much for the PS3 this year, at least they didn't bomb.

All they really announced was the Playstation Plus thing..
Thunder-blade

Postby liquidcross » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:13 am

Star Fox is just a demo, sadly. :(
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 am

I was hoping for the announcement of the Wii 2 with a blu-ray drive. It's been part of the rumor mill for a few months.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby ccjwprongs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 pm

I find it ironic how you criticise Microsoft for using old IPs and churning out sequels, whilst praising Nintendo for constantly recycling old franchises.

Sony's conference was nothing to call home about; the main focal point being 'Move' (which frankly looks like a gimmick I could easily do without) and the new 'PSN+' - additional paid features to the PlayStation online service. LittleBigPlanet 2 was a strong showing though.

Personally I'm still waiting for more setlist announcements for Rock Band 3. The new peripherals look pretty awesome, although I take fault with the new hud - it's becoming too plastic and going down the same rocky road that Guitar Hero did. Regardless, this is all shoved aside by the mere fact that 'The Power of Love' is present XD
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby Robzula » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm pumped for Other M, Skyward Sword, and DKC Returns. Skyward Sword looks like the best gameplay in a Zelda game yet, DKC was just an amazing series and a return is greatly appreciated, and Other M... I don't even know what to say. Kirby and Kid Icarus look pretty decent. Remakes of Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 are beautiful. I thought the 3DS was just going to be the next gimmick they added to the DS like the camera on DSi, but no, it's a whole new system that I NEED now.

I am extremely angry about one thing though: NO NEW STAR FOX! I've been DYING to see which ending from Command will be the legit one, how it's gonna play out, and, especially after playing Mantaray Surfing and Ball Rolling in SMG, how awesome the motion controls could work with this game. GIVE ME A NEW STAR FOX!

Oh, and Silent Hill 8 looks pretty sweet, love that they're doing it over-the-shoulder 3rd person, though I was really hoping for a remake of SH2 with actually good voice acting (seriously, it's my friend's favourite game and he showed it to me, but I couldn't get past the opening, I was laughing too hard), better graphics, and OTS 3rd person.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm still waiting for a new Actraiser... :|
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:35 pm

ccjwprongs wrote:I find it ironic how you criticise Microsoft for using old IPs and churning out sequels, whilst praising Nintendo for constantly recycling old franchises.

OK, I'll admit my initial post contained a lot of fanboyism bordering on trolling. But, like many other Nintendo fans, Nintendo's last two lackluster (at best) E3 shows really had me feeling down. Also, after years of abuse at the hands of PS3 and X-Box fans calling the Wii a "kiddie toy" and labeling motion controls as "gimmicks," I'm absolutely loving the irony of this whole situation. If you don't understand what I mean, go look up the video where Microsoft demoed "Kinetimals." I dang near peed my pants I was laughing so hard when I saw that. To see the self-proclaimed "harcorz" X-Box seriously demoing a game that literally had little girl fondling a kitten tickled me in all the right ways. There's nothing the X-Box fans can say, because they know the truth: motion controls are awesome, and the Wii is no more "kiddie" than their own console. Also, it's nice to see them getting the same shovelware we've been seeing for years.

Anyways, I see a lot of people talking about Star Fox, but what people tend to fail to realize is that when Rare left Nintendo, it left a pretty big hole that they're only now beginning to fill. Before they left, Nintendo had pretty much completely turned over the DK and Star Fox series to them. In much the same way that Retro Studios took control of the Metroid franchise for a while, so too was it with Rare and Star Fox. I was very happy to see that Retro is taking a crack at DK now that Team Ninja is doing Other M. Not sure who is doing Epic Yarn, perhaps it's Nintendo themselves. You may be asking why Nintendo themselves doesn't make a Star Fox game themselves, but they've been pretty over the last year or two with two Mario titles and the new Zelda, so may not have anyone available to do it. Plus, I'd imagine with all the focus on the new 3DS, they were pretty busing with that as well.

There are a few other franchises Nintendo has ignored on the Wii besides Star Fox, as well. 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race, F-Zero, Pikmin (I thought they'd announce Pikmin 3, but they didn't), and Earthbound (quity possibly the most neglected series ever) area all such franchises. However, we you can't have everything, and if you consider all the franchises that ARE seeing releases this year (and next year), I think you'll find you sound like some spoiled kid who is never satisified. I mean, we are getting/got new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Sin & Punishment, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario Sports, and Kid Icarus games this year. Isn't that enough?

While I would have liked to seen a sequel to Excitebots (a very seriously underrated game), I'm not going to complain about it. And while I've been wanting an epic Pokemon MMO on the Wii for, like, ever (or at the very least a Pokemon game in the style of the GB series and not just some stupid "battle arena" thing), I know that some things just aren't meant to be (unless it is).
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Robzula » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:16 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:And while I've been wanting an epic Pokemon MMO on the Wii for, like, ever (or at the very least a Pokemon game in the style of the GB series and not just some stupid "battle arena" thing), I know that some things just aren't meant to be (unless it is).

There IS going to be a Pokemon action\adventure game, Pikachu's Adventure, that looks pretty sweet.

And the thing about Mother and F-Zero and all those, while I'd love for some more, they didn't leave on a big cliff hanger like Star Fox is right now because of Command. Just figuring out which ending(s) they'll use killing me:
Spoiler: show
Do they use the guided ending, where Krystal rejoins Star Fox Team, only to run away claiming she loves Panther? Do they use Ending 1 that you had to unlock after the first playthrough where they all live happily ever after? Will Andross' grandson become the new emperor of Venom or does he join Falco's team after Fox and Krystal retire? Are they going to write Krystal out with the Kursed thing?
Robzula
Staff Writer

Video game Extra #1

Postby RocketClone » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 am

Title says all, every month im going to post what's new in the gaming world, and more.

Since E3 is over, i want to know what you guys thought about the presentations, and what games you liked.

Honorable mention: happy 10th to the PS2!

P.S futre topics will be longer, not short like this one
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby darthsantkuyl » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 pm

the way I see it is that xbox created a new way to interact with games, sony's was much more of a flop Its a wiimote with motion plus except the controllers look worse. I heard a very good comment the other day the companies are very good ate the folowing Nintendo=games Xbox=software Sony=hardware and thats basicly what came through at E3 except sony had notta
I lost my glasses and all I got was this lousy Megablok
darthsantkuyl

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 pm

darthsantkuyl wrote:Nintendo=games Xbox=software Sony=hardware

Microsoft=software? In what bizarro alternate-universe are you living in? Name one piece of Microsoft software that isn't bug-ridden crash-ware, and if you mention anything rhyming with "Schmindows," I'm gonna have to :lol: at you. Hard.

Other than that, I'll agree with you. Nintendo has always had the best games, and up until the last generation (GCN, PS2, X-Box), had the best hardware. Sony has since picked up the hardware slack. I've never thought the PS3 had an unreasonable price, particularly given the price of a standalone Blu-Ray player. For what you get, it's actually a pretty good deal. It's just that Sony overestimated the market penetration of HD tvs and the desire to purchase HD movies. Now, this has changed since it's initial release, but the damage has already been done. To be honest, if I had the money, I would have gotten the PS3 as a second console (along with an HD tv). However, the 360 has always stunk of failure-prone hardware, buggy software, and an uninteresting list of console exclusives (which is actually quite short). Really, for HD gaming, one is best off getting a PC, which makes the PS3 and 360 look like the Wii (or worse) by comparison. If graphics are so important to you, you should own a $3000, top-of-the-line rig with a monitor that makes a ballpark jumbo-tron look like an iphone.

The successes of the 360 this generation has more to do with the mistakes of Sony (and percieved mistakes of Nintendo) than it does with the "successes" of Microsoft. But we all know who the clear winner was this generation. THEY were the innovators that had the foresight to see the future of gaming. The so-called "hardcore gamers" LOVED to dismiss it as a stupid gimmick that would never last, yet here we are in 2010 and who is copying whom? Who is STILL selling more consoles than they can produce? Who has single-handedly altered the way we play games? That's right, it's Nintendo.
theJudeAbides

Next

Return to BCS 2.0