Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Mario Kart

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Mario Kart

Postby Andi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:54 am

Do you like to play Mario Kart?
If you play it on the wii, do you use the steering wheel?

I got the game today and made a first try with the wheel. It was easier than I thought.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Re: Mario Kart

Postby bigospedros » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 am

The Wii is the first Nintendo console I've owned (not sure I'd count a first gen Gameboy as a console per se) and Mario Kart was one of the games I really wanted. It's a very cool game, especially with the wheel :D

Now, if only Game would get Lego Star Wars back in stock, I'd buy that too!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:40 am

Yup, bought mario cart a few months back along with an extra Wheel. Tried playing it with the normal controllers, but it just seemed a bit more difficult. You are able to play with them, but it's just not as smooth as using the wheel. The inclusion of vintage courses is one of my favorite features, that and all the different cars you are able to use.
Turkguy19

Postby liquidcross » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:52 am

I got it right around Xmas. Using the wheel is a must! One of these days I'll get around to finishing it...
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Jay » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 am

Oh yes, hours of fun with that game. The wheel is totally fun to use and works brilliantly.
Jay

Postby Inzane » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:34 am

Andi wrote:Do you like to play Mario Kart?
If you play it on the wii, do you use the steering wheel?

I got the game today and made a first try with the wheel. It was easier than I thought.

Hi Andi,

I don't have a wii but I do have a DS and was hoping to try Mario Kart on that platform at some point. I know you have a DS. Did you ever get Mario Kart for it? If so, did you like it?

Jason
Inzane

Postby ccjwprongs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:50 am

Got this the day it came out in the UK, great game if slightly unbalanced. The wheel is great fun to use too. :)

Inzane, I have MK for the DS, it's addictively fun and has a good selection of tracks/cars but feels rather slow compared to the Wii edition - mind, if you've not played that you should be OK ;)
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby Joedward » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 am

Inzane, Mario Kart DS is one of the best hand held games ever released, without doubt a must have for anyone who owns a DS. I don't think I could recomend the game highly enough. Hours of fun, wireless, retro tracks, a few new characters and karts. Buy this, it's just so much fun.
I actually prefer it to MKWii. Not because the Wii game is bad, it's phenomenal, I'm just much more of a portable systems guy.

Also, the fact that it's portable is that extra cherry on top.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:56 am

I still rock my 64 on occasion, Mario Kart is the reason it's still plugged in. But I'm living in the past... I don't have a DS or a Wii so I can't join in the new age fun. :(
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:06 am

I picked up Mario Kart for the Wii the day it was released. Of course, I tried it out with the wheel for a while, because that was supposed to be the draw. However, I didn't like it for a few reasons: the button for accelerate is too far away from the edge of the wheel, and my thumb would always cramp up relatively quickly while playing in that format. Also, having a car, I'm really used to the resistance the steering column delivers to my arms as I'm steering, and in Kart, since I'm just holding it up, I'd always oversteer. After probably less than a week, I tried out the 'chuck and 'mote setup, and I found it to be so close to the 64 setup that I never went back.

One big problem I do have with the game is how much it rewards "losers" with overly powerful upgrades. All the time, I'll be just about to get that first place finish, and some jerk eeks past me to steal it away. That can be kind of fun when playing real people (it really, really, really feels cheap when the CPU does it) but it can really be taken advantage of.

I haven't turned my wii on in a couple of months (I always only seem to have a little time when on break between terms), but I'd be down to play a friendly tournament with you guys sometime. Anyone want to share friend codes?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Andi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 am

Jason, I never had this game for the DS, so unfortunately I might be no help for you in this. But others already answered.

Where can I find the here mentioned Friend's Codes?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Joedward » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 am

That's burried somewhere in the multiplayer menu I think.
There might be anexplanation in here, if not, there are friend codes for when you work it out.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Ty55 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:22 pm

I always loved Mario Kart64, didn't quite like Double Dash that much, and MK Wii is about as close to the N64 as it's gotten. I'm usually on my 360 though and haven't played this in awhile. It's a really goof party game though, especially coupled with Super Smash Brothers Brawl. :D
Ty55

Postby Skafte » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm

I have Mario Kart for SNES, N64, CG and Wii. Haven't played much on the Wii yet, but it sounds as if there is much fun to look forward to. So far, I prefer to play on the 64, since I know it the best. The pepole I play with prefer to play on the newer consoles... If I need a real challenge, I hook up the old SNES. I never beat that one (though I got it after the N64).
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby onions » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:20 pm

sooo... yeah maybe we should hold an FBTB Mario Kart Wii Race Fest at some point. I haven't played in a while but I'm sure it'll all come back to me.

while I was in new york i played it at nintendo world without the wheel, just the controller. it was NOT fun.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby DarkBlue » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Haven't played i a bit, but I'd be up for an FBTB Grand Prix. And I'm sort of surprised at all the hate towards the other controllers. Before I switched to the 'Wheel I used the Classic Controller, and thought it worked fine, and in some cases even gave a little more maneuverability. The Wii Wheel is way cooler, though.
DarkBlue

Postby GrayMattR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:18 pm

We got it for my 8-yr-old at Christmas with extra wheels. The game is seriously fun. I don't know why the wheel makes a difference, but it's a big difference.

adly, the disk doesn't work now... It loads so you can choose it from the Wii menu and you get the first splash screen and then you get an error. There aren't any scratches on the disk. I can't figure out the problem. Any ideas?
GrayMattR

Postby EwokWarrior » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Solo wrote:I still rock my 64 on occasion, Mario Kart is the reason it's still plugged in. But I'm living in the past... I don't have a DS or a Wii so I can't join in the new age fun. :(

Oh no! Get this man to a Gamestop! All joking aside, I own Mario Kart DS and I want Mario Kart Wii.
Who am I? I am the galaxy's top Ewok warrior. That is all anyone needs to know.
Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=EwokWarrior
EwokWarrior

Postby Darth Vaultous » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 pm

I own the 64 (downloaded off the Wii's VC), GBA, GC, and Wii versions of Mario Kart. Nowadays I'll be playing the Wii's version online once in a while.
"It's like if you watch The Simpsons, but you never have liver problems."
- Egoraptor
Darth Vaultous

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:06 pm

I own the game, and generally have to agree meeotch's assessment. I tried the Wii wheel out at first, but generally found it to be too inaccurate for my own tastes. I prefer the remote+nunchuk configuration as well.

However, I've found this game (especially the single player) to be far more frustrating than the N64 version (which is the only other Mario Kart game that I have). I mean, when being in first place is a losing strategy, something is wrong. It's one thing to be hit by a shell at the last second by the 2nd place guy. It's entirely something else to be hit by a shell, another shell, bulldozed, shot by a bullet, shrunk, and have oil thown in you face and wind up dead last all within a matter of 2 seconds. I know you're thinking, "well that's a one-time thing." No. No its not. It's happened far more times than I can count. And the other galling thing is they have the audacity the "rate" you on how you drive, and this rating is negatively impacted by being constantly blown up. Very few sessions of this game have ended without me wanting to rip the computer's face off, which is why I haven't played this game in several months. Playing multiplayer with friends in another thing, but if you plan on unlocking everything in this game, be prepared to endure untold pain and a little something I refer to as "blue shell rape." Enjoy! :D
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Next

Return to BCS 2.0