Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

In Other 2010 News...

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

In Other 2010 News...

Postby Staff » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 pm

I try not to post personal things on this site, but this time I couldn't resist. Come January, my wife and I will be expecting our first child. We are having a girl. And we are going to name her Leia. That's right, you read that right. Say what you will, start your nerd jokes now, but it is quite a nice name regardless of the obvious reference. And no, I'm not going to start calling her "my princess" or "Princess Leia"; the last thing I want for her is to get a princess complex, cause you know how fun THOSE kinds of girls are. And yes, my wife has agreed to it. And no, if it we were having a boy we would NOT have named him Luke or Han although Han does sound Asian...

In all seriousness, I can't tell you how excited and nervous I am at the reality of it all. This is going to be quite a ride.

I had meant to post this awhile ago, but real life got the better of me trying to get as much home remodeling done as possible before she comes. That is also the reason for my on-again/off-again hiatus from the site. I don't know what else to say much more than that.

I am going to be converting my personal site http://www.acekim.com/ from a facepalm ascii art repository to a personal blog site in the next few days, so if you feel like reading up on my trials and tribulations of fatherhood as well as the other geeky things I'm into, bookmark it now.

This will be the last time I post something personal on this site until the next time that is. Thanks for reading.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/09/08/in-other-2010-news/
Staff

Re: In Other 2010 News...

Postby jallenuk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Congratulations to you both - and I think it's a great choice of name
jallenuk
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Many congratulations Ace. I wish you all the best for the years to come.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby meeotch » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Congratulations! I'll spare you all the cliches that can be said.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby hatcher » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 pm

My wife wouldn't even consider Leia when our daughter was born, so you're one on up me that way. Congrats on the baby, it will change your life. Just buy her lots and lots of Lego, my daughter is only 3, and already addicted.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby thepatient » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Congratulations, being a father will the best experience in your life. Let me give you a couple of tips.

Odds are you'll be in the delivery room, if you're not to squeamish, watch the birth. It will be the most disgusting and beautiful (at the same time) thing you'll ever see. Don't video tape the birth, this memory will be burned into your brain for the rest of your life. Don't share it with others, keep it something special for yourself. Usually your wife doesn't want to relive on film either. Also, your friends don't want to watch a video. It's tough to look at someone in the eyes after you've seen their "stuff" on film.

My wife is a petite little thing, and even has a hard time opening the lid of a jar when I've already started it for her. When she was squeezing a person out of her body she had the grip of death on my hand. Don't say something like, "Can you give her a stick to bite down on?" You will get a few insults thrown your way. Don't take it personal. Other than that, you are going to feel like the most useless person in the room. There is nothing you can do to take the pain of your wife giving birth away. Just go with the flow and do everything the nurses tell you.

Then there is the change in the space-time continuum that occurs after you kid is born. Time just speeds up. Babies are kind of boring to start off with. As they learn and get older, suddenly in the blink of an eye, their going to school. For what ever reason it is, time speeds up tremendously when you have kids. So far, my experience is it, it stays that way permenantly.

Leia is a really pretty name in my opinion. So no jokes from me on this one. If anything, I'm jealous. My wife wouldn't consider it at all.

Oh, and you're having a daughter? Be prepared to be wrapped around that little finger until the day you die.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Turkguy19 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:24 pm

I will say something different here:

I'm sorry....
Turkguy19

Postby preterosso » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Best to you and your burgeoning family -- but as Daddy's little girl, she sure as HECK is going to be your "Princess," you know. . . . :D
_______
Just Phil
preterosso

Postby Firespray » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:37 pm

A little Ace-ette running around, awesome, congrats!
Firespray

Postby Bulls_Eye » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Congratulations and good luck!
Bulls_Eye

Postby The Brain » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Congrats Ace! Perhaps not a slice of chocolate cake, but a baby's still pretty good. ;)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby I Don't Know » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Congrats !!!!!!!!!
Someone once asked me"Why is Star Wars awesome?" I replied" I Don't Know, it just is."
I Don't Know

Postby Chewie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Aww, congratulations Ace. Nice pick of her name eh? XD
Laugh it up fuzzball!
Chewie

Postby Andi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 am

Congrats, Ace! That's awesome news!
Send greetings to your wife, please, too.
May the pregnancy go very smooth.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 am

My heartiest congratulations to you both. Leia is a beautiful name by the way.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Chief » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 am

Ugh. Kids suck. Good luck, pal.

;)
Chief

Postby Big C » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:22 am

Awwww, you big ol' softie. Looks like we've both got big things happening next year. :) Blessings to your beautiful family, man.
Big C

Postby Draykov » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 am

Congratulations, Ace!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:17 am

thanks everybody.

and thepatient, i think i'm going to have to pass on witnessing the actual exiting of the baby through the birth canal. thanks, but no thanks.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby thepatient » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:29 am

:lol: I understand it's not for everyone. I didn't think I could either, but in the long run I couldn't help myself. You never know until your standing there holding her leg. Hope you have the stomache to cut the cord. The scissors tend to crunch through that intead of really cutting it. That and watching the birth of my first child were reward enough for being there (well, having my daughter too). I'm just glad I don't ever have to birth. Just being there for wife is a big step and a huge asset to her.

When my son was born, I even watched the C-section. Again, I couldn't help myself.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Next

Return to BCS 2.0