Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Tron Legacy [Trailer available online now!]

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: Tron Legacy

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Hey, I'm not going to condemn something because it strays too far from its source. I ended up liking Star Trek a lot despite my initial ager-filled rants about it, so I'm willing to give this one a chance. Only reason I noticed is because this is a sequel rather than a reimagining, so it seemed somewhat curious.

Tron is an exceptionally dated film, though I personally felt the effects worked incredibly well as it's own separate "world", though a touching up would be greatly needed. I don't know what to think of this, though I'll wait to see it on film before I critisize it too heavily.

EDIT: Whoops, You were referring specifically to the soundtrack, my bad...Though, as I said, I'm still willing to give it a chance.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm skeptical, because Tron is just one of those amazingly underrated 80s movies that I just loved as a kid. The coolest thing about Lightbikes and the similar technologies is just how digital they were in contrast to analog. And while this could be interesting, it's not a matter of straying from the past, as it is discarding the source. Even with Star Trek, you still had the fundamental elements that made it Trek, like the ship, races, etc. You had Starfleet, you had things like that, and used to great effect.

But with this, they took something that was a foundation element, the Lightcycle arena, and made it too 3D and updated, so it's basically just like every other motorcycle race. It'd be like taking the Enterprise in trek, and if they made it into a transformer or something, because that's big and new.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby thepatient » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:55 pm

I think the updates will make this movie that much more interesting, The original's aesthetic relected the look of the high end computer world of the 80s. I remember being wowed by the look of the whole digital world. If the story takes place today, that world would naturally evolve in to the high end of what computers are capable of doing today. That evolution is really the hook for me. There are soooo many more advances in computer tech now- from the internet to viruses. I would think that other world would be much more complicted to navigate today. That's just my persective on it. I'm hoping to be surprised by far better effects- even though its hard to do that anymore.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 pm

Image
Solo

Postby Jedi Joe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:17 am

I wonder if the TRON world is going to be internet-based in this movie, instead of based in a local network like it was in the first one...

All things aside though, this movie looks awesome, and I am definitely going to see this in the theaters. :D
Jedi Joe

Postby thepatient » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:07 pm

I went to check out the Daft Punk links, which lead me to the most infectious tune I've ever heard- "Around the World". I can't get that song out of my head.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby GrayMattR » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 pm

That instrumental medley isn't anything like the original soundtrack, it's an orchestral arrangement of songs that were originally performed on synthesizers. Listen to clips of the original score here. Listen to clips 7, 10, 15 and 19 for synth-goodness. Even as a fan of the original movie, I would be disappointed if they had Wendy Carlos do the music for the new movie. The Daft Punk music from the Comic Con event was cool. You can only expect great stuff for the actual movie.

Seeing clips of the 1982 does look cheesy compared to what we're used to in 2009 but this movie was a technological marvel back in the day. It was so futuristically cool in every way. This new trailer looks cool. Flynn takes over!
GrayMattR

Postby Draykov » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:22 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

Tron Legacy trailer now online

Postby UOldPirate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 am

For those who haven't yet seen it, the Tron Legacy trailer that came out with Alice in Wonderland is now online. It looks awesome and has shots of the new Light Runners and revamped Recognizers, which are pretty slick. Expectations for this movie are pretty high, I hope this movie doens't suck!

http://disney.go.com/tron/?cmp=dcom_BAC_Tron_franchise_redirect_Extl
Last edited by UOldPirate on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
UOldPirate

Re: Tron Legacy trailer now online

Postby hatcher » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 am

Looks pretty good. It will be hard waiting until December.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Re: Tron Legacy [Trailer available online now!]

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Sweet Zombie Jesus...

A new trailer debuted at Comic Con. I was on the fence of my skepticism. No longer. This is like... my eyes, they weep with happiness. I should take a picture, people wouldn't recognize me with a smile.

http://disney.go.com/tron/index_flash.h ... acy-videos
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:05 pm

I'll be honest, I'm not really impressed. I really don't know why, but nothing in the trailer really stuck out to me and made me think "Wow, this is gonna be good". I'm still gonna see it in theatres (Hey, it's Tron), but I'm really not gonna be expecting much.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for posting the link. I'm soooooo stoked about this it's not even funny. Two things in the trailer struck me as bit odd. One, what year is it in the real world when Sam is an adult? I thought it was 2010, but then why the heck is Bruce Boxlietner still using a pager???? Second, is it just me or does Clu/young Jeff Bridges' mouth look funny when he talks?
UOldPirate

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 pm

A page does not have to come through a pager, though they are still used in a lot of industries, especially tech ones. We use them at works, and have only started to move our "pages" to Blackberries within the last year or so. But the underlying system that's still built into the technology that alerts uses those pager systems.

Mostly, for industries, they have the benefit of lasting a long time on a battery or charge, being very low cost, and very proven. So I have no issue at all with that part.

As for the mouth... yes, but that's because he's pretty much all CG (if not all). It's an effect called the "Uncanny Valley" that's well known in CG circles. Basically, you can't motion capture the mouth and eyes, so they have to be approximated and rendered. They can be absolutely perfect replicas, but because of how our minds work, and how those are focal points for what we observe, we're overly conscious of them. That's why companies like Pixar and Dreamworks don't do realistic humans... the farther we move away from "realism" the more we'll relate to characters like that.
dWhisper

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 pm

dWhisper wrote:...As for the mouth... yes, but that's because he's pretty much all CG (if not all). It's an effect called the "Uncanny Valley" that's well known in CG circles. Basically, you can't motion capture the mouth and eyes, so they have to be approximated and rendered. They can be absolutely perfect replicas, but because of how our minds work, and how those are focal points for what we observe, we're overly conscious of them. That's why companies like Pixar and Dreamworks don't do realistic humans... the farther we move away from "realism" the more we'll relate to characters like that.

Thanks for the info, it was very interesting. I never heard of the "Uncanny Valley" effect before. I knew that the eyes were a problem and it makes sense the mouth would be too, but I never really thought of it in those terms. I always thought that they could be recreated, but it just required the right algorithms and a boat load of processing power to do the rendering. I guess that means that the overly Botoxed Clu we see in the trailer is final and that the mouth issue probably be visible in the movie. It's obvious, but definitely not bad enough to impact the movie.
UOldPirate

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:48 am

I don't think much of this is final by now, given that we're still five months off from release. While it's doubtful they'll do any new shots, the final movie wouldn't be in the can by now.
dWhisper

Postby Draykov » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby meeotch » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:15 am

I love it when my disparate interests come together like this.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Draykov » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Soundrack...is...awesome! Listening to The Game Has Changed as I type this.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby meeotch » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Is the soundtrack all ready out? *goes to search the 'nets*
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

PreviousNext

Return to BCS 2.0