Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Tron Legacy [Trailer available online now!]

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Tron Legacy [Trailer available online now!]

Postby Draykov » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 am

I just watched the latest trailer and felt this probably warranted its own topic (a quick search revealed there wasn't one yet-surprisingly).

Flynn Lives

Watch the HD version if you have the monitor real-estate for it. That is one suh-lick light cycle chase scene. And I don't know what Flynn's role is in this new movie, but my curiosity is piqued.
Last edited by Draykov on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: Tron Legacy

Postby Joedward » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am

I never saw the original, but I saw this trailer the other day and thought it looked just awesome. I'll be very interested to see this when it comes out.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:51 am

Pretty much the same as Ed. Only seen the odd glimse of the original, but my jaw fell to the floor at this. The action was calm and intense at the same time, the effects awesome and an overall cool 2 minutes. Makes you wonder how some blockbusterss can be so lacking, when this grabbed me more than most of this summer's fare.
Master Fetty

Postby liquidcross » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:10 am

Looks like it could be fun! And this is a rare instance where I support the overuse of CGI, as it's absolutely required by the plot. :D
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby thepatient » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:19 pm

This looks so awesome. Back in the day, I remember watching this in the theater and being blown away by the FX. I saw a small peice of it a little while ago and thinking it looked a little dated. I would recommend those who haven't seen the original to do so. If I remember right, it was a decent plot. I guess I'm going to look for the DVD of this now, since I do have fond memories of it.

The possibilities of this new version are endless compared to the first one. With Jeff Bridges back, it's got to be good.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby RocketClone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Wow this looks like an awesome movie! but the question remains when does it come out?
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby meeotch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:05 am

The end of the video states 2010. I don't remember if it specified further, but the smart money's on summertime.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby banthafodder » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 am

Let's just hope Disneyland doesn't come out with another "speed tunnel" portion of a ride.
banthafodder

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:15 pm

I am very exited about this, Tron's deserved a sequel for quite some time now. Although, I am dissapointed Wendy Carlos isn't returning to do the music, the original soundtrack really made the movie for me. Ah well, I'm sure it'll be great nonetheless. It's good to see Jeff Bridges returning as Flynn rather than some other person replacing him.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm extremely excited about the sound track, because Daft Punk is taking the reigns for it. They just fit the concept so well.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Well, I'm not familiar with them at all, so I don't know what to expect. I don't think they'll be able to compare with the original soundtrack, though; the tone and orchestration of the music created a unique atmosphere for the movie and worked absolutely perfectly with the CGI visuals. It was absolutely incredible.

However, I shouldn't condemn the soundtrack before I've heard it, I'll wait until I'm able to listen to it before I critisize it any further.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby meeotch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:24 pm

There's pretty major discussion about this right now on the electronic music message board I frequent, about just how well Daft Punk actually fits the theme or not. Reading 3 pages on the finer points of "electronic-sounding-ness" versus "commercial availablity" verses "thematic and tonal matching of DP's sound and the Tron aesthetic" is, um, interesting, to say the least.
meeotch

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Well, I'm a big fan of Daft Punk already, so I've already decided I'll probably like the soundtrack regardless of how Legacy turns out. But for anyone questioning their ability to score a film, check out Interstella 5555. It's not your typical orchestral fare or background tunes you get with movies, it's the entire Discovery album supplemented by an animated story. The music is the story.

Another point for explaining why DP feels like a perfect fit regardless of their sound is... well, just take a look at them. Going by the trailer, they could probably do a walk on cameo and not look out of place. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Oh, you'll hear no argument from me. I too am a Daft Punk fan. I'm more referring to what happens when you get electronic music nerds together to discuss this. It's much akin to the "Who shot first" debate amongst SW fans, albeit with perhaps a little less emotion under the surface. I think DP was a good choice on the part of the filmmakers because they are well known even amongst the "unitiated" of the electronic music world, whereas some other artists that we feel might hold an even better "electronic" (beeps and boops, etc) sound might be less palatable to a mainstream audience.
meeotch

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:47 pm

This just further underscores why I need to watch the original for the first time - so I can hear the soundtrack that Flynn hearts so much and have a better idea of what they're following.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:01 pm

I didn't remember the soundtrack either, so I just checked out iTunes to get a sample. While it's true that the samples were but a percentage of the whole work, I couldn't hear anything special. Just the usual doom-and-gloom type orchestral score that would be expected. Perhaps Flynn would like to specify the name of a good representative track, because I wasn't wowed (certainly not enough to buy it).
meeotch

Postby Draykov » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I be diggin' the Daft Punk. Anyone familiar with their work with Leiji Matsumoto of Space Battleship Yamato fame (that's Starblazers to you Americans less in-the-know)? I, for one, happen to think Daft Punk is a good match for a 21st century Tron sequel.

Some of my favorites from Interstella 5555 (the movie)/Discovery (the Daft Punk album):

One More Time
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Digital Love
Voyager
Face to Face

I imagine their approach to a theatrical score would be a bit different than Discovery, Homework or the more recent Human After All. But I trust 'em with it.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:47 pm

Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Wow, that solar sailor looks fantastic. The Recognizer, however, I'm not too fond of. It looks to much like a solid peice rather than the disconnected blocks I'm used to.

Also, what's with the lack of color with everything? It all looks incredibly dark, with little flashes of blue and green thrown in. Doesn't look anything like the original landscapes.

Oh, and here's a video of a medley of the original soundtrack, though I think the best way of enjoying the soundtrack is to listen to it in context in the original film.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmm... that seems awfully chipper and dated (understandably). This movie looks like it will be darker themed in general, not just visually, so something similar to that would feel out of place. I'm pretty sure you're not going to like it because it won't be enough like the first.

You can get a taste of sounds to come here.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Next

Return to BCS 2.0