Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

laptop AC adapters...

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

laptop AC adapters...

Postby Andi » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:08 pm

My laptop AC adapter died today...
Do you have any experiences with AC adapters?
Do you know if it has to be the exact model (model number) only or could one take another one as well? I wonder, because the adapter of my mom's laptop has the same plug (I think it would fit into my laptop), but has another model number. I don't want to kill this as well, and of course I do not want to kill my computer...
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Re: laptop AC adapters...

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Can't you look at the specs in the manual and find an adaptor with the same specs?
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby meeotch » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:10 pm

You don't necessarily need the exact same adapter as before (brand-wise), but there are a couple of things to consider: most importantly, make sure that it adapts to the EXACT same voltage and amps as the original one; secondly, I'm not sure on this, but I could see the computer manufacturer trying to void your warranty for using a third-party adapter, if something was to happen to the power-supply system of your computer and they somehow found out you weren't using one of their branded adapters.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Andi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:01 am

thanks for your answers.
I now called Sony, and ordered a replacement.
I asked them if it is save to use the ac adapter from my mom, till the replacement is there, but they said I should have to be very careful.
Maybe I use it later for backing up some data to my extern HD, but else I guess it's safer to wait till the new adapter arrived in 2 or 3 days.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Return to BCS 2.0