Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Clerks

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Clerks

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 pm

I was scrolling through the posts and I was thinking about the movie, Clerks. Specifically I was thinking about the scene where they were discussing the destruction of the death star and how the rebellion gave no thought to all the poor union workers who were just doing their job when the death star was destroyed with all the loss of innocent lives. It was classic and gave me a little chuckle. :)
banthafodder

Re: Clerks

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 pm

It always amuses me that when he's supposedly watching ROTJ, he's very clearly no by the sound. Stupid restrictions.

But yeah, a modern classic for sure.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Reminds me of the "Space" episode of NewsRadio, and one of the broadcasts Catherine gives is:
"Tragedy struck today in Sector 9 as rebel terrorists blew up the Death Star killing thousands. The Rebel Alliance, a fringe group of Anti-Empire fanatics, has claimed responsibility for the terrorist act. Fortunately Lord Vader escaped without harm. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims"
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby thepatient » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 pm

I always liked that line from Silent Bob- " "
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby dakdogba » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm

this was adressed in the black fleet crisis trillogy, but i hated those books.
dakdogba

Postby Master Fetty » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:45 pm

What was addressed? I'm a tead confused by that comment.
Master Fetty

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41 pm

I remember it being explained somewhere (can't remember where) that the Death Star(s) were built by Wookie slaves and not contractors or construction workers. Most of them would have preferred death over their forced labor. So while yes, it is tragic they had to die, most probably would have been thankful for being released from their tortured existences.

In a way, isn't this a part of the Chewbacca/Han Solo story? Didn't Han save/rescue Chewbacca from slave labor, which is why Chewbacca owes him a life debt? It's been a while since I've read the books, though.

However, I did enjoy that conversation and it is interesting to think about. Clerks is a classic, of that there is not doubt. But according to the "official" story, it's simply incorrect.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby banthafodder » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:55 pm

^ What I'm really trying to get at is how engrained Star Wars is in our pop culture lexicon. How great it is that we have so many star wars references in non star wars settings whether they are correct or not.
banthafodder

Postby dakdogba » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:32 am

what i meANt was, in those books, lukes slaughter of many inocents onboard the death star is mentioned
dakdogba

Postby Teekay » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:41 am

Hey, I was just thinking about this the other day! But I decided that while Luke killed many innocents on the Death Star, this is offset by the fact that this eventually lead to the end of the Empire, saving many more innocents.

Also, I'd be interested to know what percentage of the galaxy supported the Empire.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby LEGOscum » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:28 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:I remember it being explained somewhere (can't remember where) that the Death Star(s) were built by Wookie slaves and not contractors or construction workers. Most of them would have preferred death over their forced labor. So while yes, it is tragic they had to die, most probably would have been thankful for being released from their tortured existences.

This was partly contradicted in the Death Star novel (good book BTW) when contractors and construction workers were introduced. But in the main it was built by slave labour, though not entirely Wookiee.
LEGOscum

Postby Cali » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 am

They got a lot of the slaves from the planet Despayre, which the Death Star was in orbit around as it was being built. Despayre was a prison planet, though not in the strictest sense of the word prison. More like an arena of survival.
Cali

Postby 11Numb » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:07 pm

I love how this topic has nothing to do with the awesome movie series Clerks. Silly me for entering this thread expecting such.
In other news, has anyone else seen Clerks: The Animated Series? Great show, pity it only got 6 episodes.
11Numb

Return to BCS 2.0